2.4

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Dec 232016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while stationary, the HVAC system would not defrost the windshield. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Dec 262016

Ram 1500

My extremely low-mileage Ram is experiencing electrical and sensor issues of a truck tens of thousands of miles higher. The key fob will not lock or unlock the doors but the lights will flash. The esp/bas light remains on along with the slipping light plus the airbag light. They all remain on. The driver side door panel will not lock or unlock the doors. The panel will not open or close the 2 rear windows, but, the 2 front windows will open and close. All lights remain on while in motion or parked. I did notice the column shifter was extremely loose and was not as tight as normal. Vehicle has just over 65,000 miles on it. And is 8 years old possibly related issues are that the truck was recently taken in for wheel sensor replacements and low idle causing stalling.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Dec 012016

Ram 1500

The dealer says its a bad tipm, and that they go bad on Ram trucks often. All the electrical system goes crazy, traction control, air bags, ABS, blower for heat and air, wipers, door locks, windows and others. If they know this is faulty why not should they have to recall or pay us back

- Cumberland, KY, USA

Jul 012016

Ram 1500

The rear power door locks do not work whatsoever in my truck. Trying to unlock/lock the doors in my truck with the key fob only operate the front doors. Trying to unlock/lock the doors with the front driver and passenger side power door lock controls only operate the front doors as well. The only way the back doors will lock/unlock is if it is done manually. When the doors are unlocked, the back doors do not lock when the truck reaches the speed that engages all door locks when in drive. The doors will not unlock when putting the truck into park. I could understand if one or the other is malfunctioning, but not both. This definitely indicates an electrical issue. This is a safety hazard. My children can get trapped in if they try to exit the vehicle in an accident, they could get kidnapped/assaulted if the back door locks were pulled up by them without my knowledge, my items could get stolen in my truck if its left parked and unattended, etc. Anything can happen with a huge number of scenarios. I have had many other issues with the truck as well that I will file separate complaints on each issue. (tipm electrical issues/no power to anything whatsoever with the truck, transmission shift solenoid, staying in 4th gear, tire pressure sensor flying out of the tire while driving 70 mph) this truck is a safety hazard to my families life as well as my own.

Nov 212016

Ram 1500

I am having a complete electrical malfunction with my truck. I remotely started it one cold morning, approximately 20 degrees. After going outside and approaching the truck I noticed that the headlights were on. When remotely starting a vehicle only the parking/marker lights come on. When I tried to unlock the truck with the key fob, nothing worked. I manually unlocked the drivers door and opened it to find an enormous amount of issues. The interior lights would not come on. The windows were still completely frosted up. I noticed that the defrost wasn┐T working, including the heated seats, heated steering wheel, and heated mirrors. I also noticed that there were no lights or power to the entire radio cluster, heat & A/C controls, parking assist buttons, hazard button, 4 wheel drive controls, etc. The doors didn┐T have power for any door locks or windows. On the instrument cluster, every warning light imaginable was illuminated. Check engine, ABS, voltage, air bag, park assist, traction control, low fuel, low washer fluid, seat belt, low tire pressure, all gears indicator lights were illuminated. The center message screen was going through every possible fault scenario. I tried to turn off the truck and restart it but the problem persisted. I eventually had to remove the battery because the headlights wouldn┐T go off. The truck wasn┐T safe to drive and was not functioning properly whatsoever. I was told by the service manager over the phone that the tipm is the issue. The truck still has not been repaired and is now a paper weight in my driveway. I have had many other issues with the truck as well that I will file separate complaints on each issue. (transmission shift solenoid, staying in 4th gear, tire pressure sensor flying out of the tire while driving 70 mph, rear power door locks not unlocking/locking with key fob or front door lock controls)

Nov 212016

Ram 1500

There is a problem with everything electrically related to the truck. The headlights stay on, I have to disconnect the battery to get them to go off. The windshield wipers constantly remain on. The interior lights, door locks, windows, seats, heat, A/C, radio, dash lights, etc do not work. Once the truck starts, all of the dash warning lights come on. (check engine, ABS, low windshield wiper fluid, voltage, low oil pressure, etc) the truck is not safe to drive and is a hazard to my family.

Sep 022016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Lakeway, TX, USA

Feb 152015

Ram 1500

Blend door actuator and blend door gear box failed repeatedly changing hot air from ac unit to cold air or vise versa.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

May 092016

Ram 1500

Battery started going dead. Battery and alt both tested good. A lot of things stopped working including; back windows, rear sliding glass, power locks, heat/ac fan, ABS, traction control, park assist, mirrors, wipers, and a few other things I am forgetting or haven't found. Had a Chrysler mechanic friend of mine help me diagnose the tipm as the problem. Tipm is drawing 4A when the truck is off. I am now having to disconnect the battery any time I park it for more than an hour and put the battery on the charger over night. Tipm is on back order because according to the mechanic, Chrysler is installing 9 a day and that just the ones for my 09 truck which only works in 09's. very frustrating and been hell to drive this in the spring in mo, no wipers or ac during rainy, humid hot season just sucks and is my personal hell.

- New Haven, MO, USA

May 012010

Ram 1500

Passenger side window will lock / unlock only with key or by pulling up/pushing down the manual lock controll in that door. It cannot be operated with the electric controls in either that door or the driver side door, and it will not lock automatically with the other three doors when vehicle is in motion. It began doing this after it was about one year old. This is a safety issue because there is no way to lock this door from the drivers side, for childrens safety, or to keep somebody from entering.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

May 042016

Ram 1500

Vehicle odometer resets at 66,000 miles. The vehicle has done this three different times consistently @ 66,000 miles.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Apr 292016

Ram 1500

For the past month now my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi has stalled out on me 4 times. It has happened both while shifting from reverse to drive, slowing down to stop at a stop sign, and just sitting in drive in a parking garage lot. Truck has 142000 miles on it but this stalling issue has happened before around 30K. I can put the truck back in neutral or park and start it back up but there's a knock every time now. It is starting to worry me that the truck may stall out on the freeway. I do notice that it occurs whenever the RPM get low around 500-700 RPM. The truck then bogs down and stalls whenever I shift from reverse to drive on the few occasions that it happened. When I was pulling into a parking spot or slowing down to stop at a stop sign I also noticed the RPM drop to stall the truck.

- Denair, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Ram 1500

Key fobs, remote door lock/unlock failing. Key fobs keep failing, buy new fobs and after about a year they fail. Owners resort to unhooking the horns as the horns sound when manually unlocking the doors with the key. This is a stationary failure of the fob. However if owners are disconnecting the horns, that would be a safety problem while driving when the need to alert other vehicles arises. Vehicle owners are not purchasing new fobs due to cost but rather disconnecting their horns so that the alarm does not sound when unlocking the drivers door to gain entry. Many owners are not reporting this defect due to the fact that they don't see it as a safety issue with the vehicle. A quick internet search reveals a vast # of complaints on website forums. Source-I am an ase master tech. I have an 09 1500 that this is happening to. I do not disconnect the horns but rather just don't lock the truck. (taking a chance against theft)

- Forney, TX, USA

Apr 072016

Ram 1500

I was stopped at a red traffic light, when it turned green and I accelerated, the truck power felt as if the truck was pulling a heavy load. I notice the shifter indicator on the (-/+ ) instead on (D). I try to shift to (D) but instead it went to reverse.the tires squealed and the truck died. It started back up by the radio was not operable. I shut the vehicle off and turn it on and the radio work. This particular issue with the radio has occurred a total of 2 times. Since the first occurrence I have an engine light on. Now when the truck is in (-/+) mode on the instrument panel. It indicate my truck is 4th gear. There is another (-/+) as well on the shifter were you can increase or decrease the gear you are in. I have tried to change that gear. By pressing the + and holding it, it will show that it changes from 4 to D but as soon as you stop pressing the button on the shifter it goes right back to 4th gear. The way I can get it back to D, I have to shut the vehicle off after putting it park of course, and started up, then it shifts to D, eventually it goes back to the manual mode. I just purchase this vehicle from carmax in woodbridge. I was told that their vehicle safety inspection was by far the better. I have seen multiples complain about this same problem by the hundreds. To bad I didn't see it before buying. Nice truck and all, but in the meantime owners of these vehicles with similar problems or worse are still driving these vehicles with their families on board, and what it is going to take for a family to end up dead on the road because Dodge instead of taking responsibility for manufacturing a defective product, possibly with the knowledge of the problem and now they will continue charging people that purchased their defective vehicles until it becomes eventually a recall. A vehicle operating in that condition would fail any state dmv inspection.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 062016

Ram 1500

Was communicating with fca for buyback under N08 recall. Was refered to dealer, and dealer requested personal loan information before they would take action. This alerted me that they were trying to find out the debt so they could low ball their offer. They were pressuring me to trade at blackbook value. Am dealing with spouse with cancer and was not informed of a expiration for buyback. Truck is now sitting in drive with axle lock condition. I feel I have the worst case scenario with this and request expedient assistance from your office. Have now lost $15K value in this. Will consult legal representation. A personal response from your office would be appreciated. Fca claims buyback ended 1/4/2016 even though I had a ball park offer from them and apparently they will not honor the offer.

- Reelsville, IN, USA

Dec 152015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 60 mph in inclement weather, both high and low beam headlamps failed to illuminate. The contact independently replaced the bulbs; however, the failure recurred and the vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the totally integrated power module (tipm) needed to be reset. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tipm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,000.

- Lyons, GA, USA

Nov 142015

Ram 1500

This vehicle is listed in the buyback program due to rear axle pinion nut defect. Was offered blackbook value to trade and low blue book trade value for buyback. Vehicle exceeds all condition requirements. Chrysler has demanded to know my debt value before appraisal. Fca is stalling and trying to capitalize a profit margin on my truck. Dealer used pressure tactics for process, stated process would take extended period of time and I should trade it in or let them repair. Have received 2 trade offers for wholesale value, from 2 different fca dealers. The rear axle has now locked up once while backing out of a parking space at my workplace, 1800 North fruitridge ave, terre haute, ind. I was able to get unseized and home. Unable to drive due to safety issue. Fca stated they required 3rd party appraisal but will not proceed until I release my debt value and account number to them. This is an outrage! I expect they will de-value my truck as to be less than I owe, thereby making a buyback impossible and forcing me to let them repair half of the issues with this truck! I will be losing about $8K from retail value. $ which they are trying to profit from selling a defective product. Is this what you are allowing" I don't think so. In addition to rear axle, there was a blend door actuator recall which they claim is resolved. It is not! the truck's heating system does not work. The buyback offer given was for $19025 plus $1903 for 10% repurchase, for a total of $20928, but pending appraisal with debt value release. This corporation is manipulating the process to increase their profits while releasing them of liability. What are you, as the overseeing governmental Agency going to do about this" I want my $ returned fairly. I will lose $10K even with a retail buyback. I cannot lose $18K for a manipulated, scam of a deal!! this a follow up to a previous complaint.

- Reelsville, IN, USA

Dec 142015

Ram 1500

Our truck began stalling the engine at low speeds in Dec. 2015, I changed all 16 spark plugs thinking this would fix the issue, it didn't. about 2 weeks after this started, I was trying to unlock the truck with the key fob for a short trip into town. The headlights would flash, but the doors would neither lock or unlock with the fob. I opened the door with the key and started the engine. The idiot lights for the air bags and the traction control were both illuminated. We had never had any issues with any of this previously. Next, I tried to lock the doors for the trip, using the pdl switch and found it to be inoperable. Also not working were the pw, HVAC system, horn, and windshield wiper system. This was so very strange that I googled these symptoms and discovered the tipm, totally integrated power module, for these vehicles are failing at an alarming rate. Thank god that my wife didn't stall this truck in a highway driving situation and become the victim of this known and documented safety flaw in these vehicles. Fiat/Chrysler needs to step up to the plate and repair these vehicles before lives are destroyed due to this defect.

- Grand Saline, TX, USA

May 012015

Ram 1500

Passenger side headlight intermittantly fails, but bulb is ok. Windows intermittantly roll themselves down. Key(fob) gets stuck in recepticale. Passenger side windshield sprayer does not spray water.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 012015

Ram 1500

Totally integrated power module (tipm) has been dangerous. All four windows went down while truck was unattended and locked several times. We replaced the expensive tipm and car stopped doing that. A few months later, we found out that just one electrical item can cause the entire tipm burn out that affects almost everything in the car. For us it was the backup camera that had a short. It caused air bags, seat belt safety, windshield wipers, defrost/fan, backup camera, locks not to work. Dealership had to replace tipm again. We also believe the tipm may have had something to do with our transmission locking into gear.

- Springfield, VA, USA