2.4

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 162015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While attempting to activate the air conditioner, it failed to activate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the totally integrated power module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Saucier, MS, USA

Aug 182015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While attempting to start the vehicle, the engine would not start, the shifter would not move, and the key would not release from the ignition switch. After removing the key from the ignition switch, the key was still in the ignition message displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the win module failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Temperance, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Ram 1500

The rear axle pinion nut on my truck is recalled causing major safety issue. Chrysler is refusing to do anything other than telling people to wait and they are ok to continue to drive the vehicle until it breaks. This is my only vehicle, and I need a safe vehicle for my family and me to be in. You're putting our lives, and everyone elses at risk is 100%irresponsible of me and Chrysler. Please help us consumers. My light came on service 4 wheel drive, esp traction control, I purchased an extended warranty which is what saved me, I am having electrical problems with the headlights, first the drivers side and now the passager side. I have called Dodge dealer several times to schedule the service for the replacement. They do not have the part or don't know when the part will be there.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 072015

Ram 1500

There is an issue with my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 ABS sensor, specifically the front passages side sensor. When reaching certain speeds, the ABS break attempts to engage, it also engages when pressing the break slightly. This cause one to correct the amount of pressure applied to the break, and also I have to correct the steering to counter the increase in breaking. When it is time to actually break for an emergency, the truck will not break properly and cause and accident or my life.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 292015

Ram 1500

When I was driving on the express way doing approximately 70 mph, I went to put the cruise control back on and the vehicle lost power. It dropped approximately 20 mph and then the vehicle allowed some power to return such as lights, dash board, and throttle. I was able to get the vehicle home (approximately 10 miles) losing power a few more times. Some of my warning lights started flashing like there was an electrical issue and most of them stayed on until I made it home and parked in my drive way. The electronic throttle control light was what I noticed first when the power returned each time. As I would lose the ability to keep a consistent speed on the roads the electronic throttle control light would continue to flash and I would have no power to increase speed and found myself coasting for short periods of time. After getting the Ram 1500 home, I tried to start it and it would not start but the warning lights and dash board would light up, my key would not release, and then eventually it would not even turn on. I've had it towed to a Dodge dealership and they said it was the tipm unit. I'm just glad I was driving it and not one of my children who are recent drivers and do not have my experience.

- Sanford, MI, USA

May 152015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2013 (na) Dodge Ram 1500. When the contact started the vehicle, the computer dialed 911, the fuel tank light illuminated, and the front headlights flashed off and on. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The instrument panel lighting flashed off and on. The computer system turned on automatically. Also, the radio dial switched from fm to am signal. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the harness was burnt out and replaced. The dealer also changed the software. The failure recurred a week later but had not been diagnosed again. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Terrytown, LA, USA

Oct 152014

Ram 1500

Since I bought the truck there has been several electrical issues I.e. bulbs keep blowing out, it will lose power when you start to go up a hill. The lighted mirrors only last about 45 days before going out at 500 ea. The truck seems to wonder and most of all the wheel bearings went out on both sides at the same time and the dealer charged me $1,800 saying that its not covered under the power train warranty.......... this truck is the definition of a lemon.......

- Geneseo, IL, USA

Jul 272015

Ram 1500

V-8 hemi quad cab. Problem was also reported to dealership at earlier (unknown) date while under warranty but problem went away at dealership. With car parked, driver side door-mounted lock will not operate door lock to lock when trying to leave car. These incidents occur intermittently maybe once every 1 to 2 months. When approaching parked car and using the remote to unlock electric door locks, it required 5-10 tries on keyfob. So bad one time, actual key had to be used to unlock driver's door.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Oct 092014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the air conditioner emitted warm air. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was noticed that the number two control fan speed was not functioning. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 042015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While going down interstate my ABS, service 4WD, esp traction control and brake light all came on at same time. When it happened it happened it knocked my cruise off and slowing down. I got back on the gas and started to speed up then all of a sudden my gas became my brake it locked all 4 tires up at high speed. I was very lucky no one was real close to me. I made it to safe place to pull over and check it out and no matter what I did I couldn't get it back going correctly. At first it would do right and get up to 30mph and ease on gas little bit and it would start breaking when touching gas. Has to have it towed. It was very dangerous and I was real lucky not to wreck. I home this problem can get resolved.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Mar 052013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Defroster does not work, blower emits air (cold) but only to floor. Loud popping noise from air box, found actuators were malfunctioning. Nearly caused collision with oncoming traffic. Contacted Chrysler for recall status and they claimed truck was under this recall, however truck had been inspected and found to have no problems with regards to air box actuators. I subsequently found out from a nameless Dodge technician that they were instructed to engage air systems for the inspection and if no apparent malfunction is found they were to pass the recall and write it off. I am outraged that yet another corporate entity is preying on american consumers and getting by with it, while claiming to stand behind their product and it's engineering. I asked Chrysler what repair was needed. They replied" air box circulation doors bad. Would need box removed and replace 5 actuators and doors. Cost would be $800 to $1000 dollars. This is a safety issue 3/4 of the year. I now have been notified by Dodge of another recall for my truck regarding the axle pinion nut. I believe this recall will receive the same attention they gave to my air box issue and therefore am attempting to take action with this complaint. Will someone please make these corporate penny pinching sobs stand up and take responsibility for their poor engineering!!!!

- Reelsville, IN, USA

Mar 302015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

On 3/30/15 my Ram truck exhibited the condition described in the K17 (reprogram HVAC control head and inspect/replace actuators) recall. This recall was created to eliminate the possible malfunction of the HVAC system to properly defrost/defog the windshield. It involves updating software and replacing mode door actuators. The plastic actuator gears can easily be broken when the control head sends the wrong signals to open and close the mode doors. At the moment, my defroster/heater is not working and when I first start the vehicle, there is a series of knocking sounds for several minutes as the malfunctioning system goes through its progressions. I took it in to my local Dodge dealer (gurnee) hoping that the recall would eliminate the condition. The mechanic replaced the actuators but could not get the system working properly. He said the control head is not working properly but the recall only covers the software update and not the replacement. From my research I have noticed that other Ram owners have encountered this potentially dangerous condition. If it was just a matter of the control head wearing out and not working, I would be okay with replacing it at my own expense. In my opinion though, it is not a case of ┐┐wear and tear┐Ł but instead I believe it is a defective component. The faulty control head causes the breakage of the actuators and mode doors. People who encounter this problem in the winter are at risk of an accident due to the inability to clear their windshield. Drivers may even need to get their vehicles towed. I believe that Dodge should be responsible for repairing the system to its normal capabilities. That is what a recall is designed to do. This is simply a case of a previously recalled vehicle remedy not working as designed. I called Dodge customer support on 4/10 and talked to a rep that said the repairs would be my responsibility.

- Antioch, IL, USA

Mar 032015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

There is a banging noise that seems to be coming from behind the glove box. I researched it online and think it's a heat blend door actuator that went out. I was quoted over $500 for the repair due to the complexity of getting to the issue through the dashbaord. A while back there was a recall on some part of the ac/heating but I cannot remember what is was for. I called their hotline and was advised that recalls are active for 10 years from the manufacture date, so in my case, through 2019. I searched www.safercar.gov and there wasn't any recalls listed unver this VIN. I read that others are having this same issue and I feel this is a defective part that should be recalled as at one point it disabled the blower. The blower operated intermittently which was extremely hazardous during winter.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Mar 142015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Started driving truck and all gauges went blank including speedometer. Warning lights for air bag, check engine, low tire pressure, brakes, etc. All came on as well as wipers started working with switch in off position!

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 232014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

On 23 Jan 14 I took my vehicle (2009 Dodge Ram 1500) to the dealership (san antonio dodge_chrysler_jeep_ram), because it was making a loud knocking and popping noise under the dash whenever the key was turned off. The dealership diagnosed the problem as "mode door actuators defrost blend and recirculation broken" and made the repair by removing and replacing the actuators. On 6 Feb 15 I took my vehicle to the dealership because the HVAC control head module was unresponsive; air would blow only from the lower floor vents, nothing from the mid-level or defrost vents. The dealership states that it would be 3 to 4 days and cost $100 for them to look at it.. I took the vehicle to Firestone; they diagnosed the problem, printed out the recalls and service bulletins pertaining to the problem and charged me $44.05 for their trouble. This was the first I had heard of the "customer satisfaction notification K17 and the safety recall J12". I called Chrysler and told them that the issue I was having is the same as those addressed in the notification and recall. They replied that I?D have to take the vehicle to the dealership for that determination to be made.on 9 Feb 15 I took my vehicle back to the dealership they made the repair which was to ?replace A/C control panel and program panel and actuators to work properly?. this is the exact repair called for in the J12 safety recall; they just changed the name from HVAC control head module to A/C control panel.after the repairs were completed and paid for, I submitted a claim to Chrysler for reimbursement referencing both the? K17 notification? and the ?J12 recall". they denied the claim stating that the recalls had already been performed sometime in 2010 at a cost of $22 and $47 during some other routine service. The service repair cost on the two occasions I took my vehicle to the dealer was $585 and $444.10.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 172014

Ram 1500

My 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 makes a loud popping sound when the heat comes on or off and the windows do not defrost making for little to no visibility.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Dec 152014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The heater fan motor and wipers would not work due to an issue with the tipm computer. This lead to the windows fogging up with no means to clear other than pulling off the road. This is an issue currently under investigation and consideration for recall. The tipm computer was already replaced once at a cost of over $900 to the owner.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 112014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The tipm (totally integrated power module) in the vehicle failed recently despite the vehicle being relatively "young" in age. The failure was random and occurred during the vehicle's normal use (casual driving). My understanding is that this device controls air bags and other safety devices. From what I read, this is not an isolated incident among vehicle owners.

- Lake Hiawatha, NJ, USA

Sep 072014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The HVAC actuator gear has malfunctioned, it will only make a ticking noise whenever I turn the truck on or off. I am not able to feel any air from the defrost of upper air vents.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Sep 072014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Turned vehicle off and behind the radio and instrument panel it began clicking air from the A/C unit only come from the floor no matter which setting is select. I can hear the valve is trying to close/move.

- Cordova, TN, USA