2009 Dodge Ram 1500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 162015

Ram 1500

Recall supposedly repaired on pinion nut in 2013. While driving in July 2015 rear end started grinding and became scary to drive. Took immediately to the dealership 7/16/15. The repair includes seal drive pinion, bright kit drive pinion, drive puli on bearing and spacer, brg kit differential etc. The dealership never informed us of the recall or buyback. I question the future safety of the vehicle.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Aug 152013

Ram 1500

When going from two wheel drive to 4 wheel drive the steering becomes impossible. When the 4 wheel drive does engage truck pulls heavy to the left. When disengaging the 4 heel drive steering once again becomes impossible.then a loud popping noise can be heard and the steering is still impossible. This happens 75% of the time.

- Fountain, CO, USA

Jun 102014

Ram 1500

We had a rain storm and my sun roof leaked very badly, it went thru the inside into the padding then ran down into the mirror to the G.P.S. into all of the electrical stuff on the dash. This has happened twice. I brought it into Dodge and they pressure tested it and it wouldn`T leak. I did buy the lifetime warranty on the truck and if this continues I believe Dodge should pay for damages done to the interior. (they say they would not cover the roof padding if it needs replaced. (I think it`S a malfunction in the sunroof, so therefore it should be covered) I love my Dodge (and so does everyone else.) but if this happens again I really believe for what I spent on this truck and all of the money I spent on the warranty should be honored) it does have all the extra bell`S and whistles! sincerely sandy black

- South Haven, MI, USA

Jul 022015

Ram 1500

Fuel tank can fall free from vehicle due to rust out undercarriage fuel tank strap mount. Vehicle is 5 years old and the frame is rusting out to the point the fuel tank strap cannot be reattached. Was told by the dealer that there is nothing they could do and given a number to contact corporate. Talked to several people at corporate and was told my vehicle had too many miles on it and was out of warranty. Truck is otherwise in good condition, but is a safety hazard because the fuel tank can fall off truck at any given time. Also tie rod broke on me and had to have truck towed to dealer, was told it was due to wear and tear from normal driving, had to pay for replacement of both right and left tie rods and now seeing that there was a recall on them. Will never again buy and Chrysler product, company does not stand behind their product.

- Brandywine, MD, USA

Jul 272015

Ram 1500

V-8 hemi quad cab. Problem was also reported to dealership at earlier (unknown) date while under warranty but problem went away at dealership. With car parked, driver side door-mounted lock will not operate door lock to lock when trying to leave car. These incidents occur intermittently maybe once every 1 to 2 months. When approaching parked car and using the remote to unlock electric door locks, it required 5-10 tries on keyfob. So bad one time, actual key had to be used to unlock driver's door.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jul 232015

Ram 1500

I was driving in heavy rush hour traffic at 55 mph when my left front tire rapidly went flat do to the TPMS valve stem failure causing me to take evasive action in order to avoid a multi vehicle collision. This driving on a flat tire caused extensive side wall damage to my new tire with only 6000 miles on it, $233 to replace it low cost to avoid a major accident.

- Hopkins, MN, USA

May 242015

Ram 1500

I was driving my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with my family on rt 280 East doing about 65mph when tire valve/sensor popped off of rim and almost lost control of vehcile. The nut that holds the valve/sensor seperated from each other. There are plenty of complaints on the internet of such a safety issue. Called Dodge to file a complaint several weeks ago and nothing was done ! paid $450. To replace all 4 valve/sensor just so I can feel safe in my truck. When I looked at new valves they had been redesigned with a rubber stem instead of aluminum that corrodes. Obviously they had problems and modified them without contacting vehicle owners! this should be a safety recall!

- Newark, NJ, USA

Mar 032015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

There is a banging noise that seems to be coming from behind the glove box. I researched it online and think it's a heat blend door actuator that went out. I was quoted over $500 for the repair due to the complexity of getting to the issue through the dashbaord. A while back there was a recall on some part of the ac/heating but I cannot remember what is was for. I called their hotline and was advised that recalls are active for 10 years from the manufacture date, so in my case, through 2019. I searched www.safercar.gov and there wasn't any recalls listed unver this VIN. I read that others are having this same issue and I feel this is a defective part that should be recalled as at one point it disabled the blower. The blower operated intermittently which was extremely hazardous during winter.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Oct 222014

Ram 1500

Defrosters stopped working in cold weather makeing truck undrivable

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 072014

Ram 1500

I turned off vehicle and the ac started clicking. Its the switch that controls where the airflow is directed. It will only blow out at the floor, regardless of what it is set on.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 022013

Ram 1500

My truck is subject to Chrysler safety recall H08. In January I received a recall letter but parts have not been made available to fix this problem for six months. Chrysler customer relations will not say that it is safe for me to drive my vehicle. I think Chrysler is stalling. Whatever the government can do to help us consumers would be appreciated.

- Plano, TX, USA

Mar 222013

Ram 1500

When entering vehicle, side step on drivers' side dislodged from 2 out of three mounting brackets and dropped approximately 8 to 10 inches. Driver feel backwards to the ground because of partial collapse of the side step on the drivers' side. The failure was influenced by the fact the dealer had removed these twice for defect related issues. The mopar part number is 82211496ae32841. The dealer indicated the mounting holes were no longer usable and they would have to be replaced by an aftermarket product

- Greenwood Village, CO, USA

Nov 202012

Ram 1500

Airbags failed to go off after collision with a farm implement being pulled by a farm tractor. Dodge vehicle has damage to frame, passenger side and front of vehicle.

- Canby, MN, USA

Nov 102012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving the 2009 Dodge Ram that I purchased in July 2010. While driving on the highway on I-20W in Georgia, the drive shaft fell off. The whole drive shaft fell off. Luckily no one got hurt. The cars behind me had to stop. The Ram quickly lost speed, and I had to pull to the side of the highway. The tow truck driver told me that I was lucky the truck did not flip over. A bunch of fluids came out of where the drive shaft was supposed to be. When the tow truck driver tried to attach the Ram to his truck it was noticed that the rear tires locked up. He said the differential locked up. I have checked some Dodge online forums, and this seems to be a common enough problem that it needs to be addressed.

- Sumter , SC, USA

Mar 092012

Ram 1500

While driving my 2009 Ram at approximately 35mph, the low tire pressure light lit up, indicating a problem. Before I had time to pull to the side of the road (keep in mind I was only moving at 35mph), the left rear tire went completely flat. Upon inspection of the flat tire, I discovered that the valve stem was missing. After taking the tire to my local mechanic, we learned that the aluminum nut on the valve stem apparently failed and caused the valve stem to fall into the inside of the tire, thus allowing the tire to go flat, virtually instantly. While purchasing a replacement tps (tire pressure sensing) valve at Napa, I was told by the employees there, that they have seen multiple problems with this design, caused by the corrosion of the nut due to the salt used on highways here in central New York, during the winter months. About two weeks after this event, I had the truck into the dealership for an oil change. I asked them to replace the remaining 3 valve stems under factory warranty because I believe it's a matter of time before they fail also. The service manager told me they found only one additional valve that appeared to have a "cracked" nut. They replaced only that valve. (by the way.. the new valve design is all rubber. No more alum nut). I rotated the tires to place the potential "time bomb" valves on the rear, in order to prevent a loss of steering when these valves fail, and they will. It's just a matter of time. I only hope the tires don't go flat while I'm travelling at 65 mph. After doing an internet search, I learned that there are multiple reports of this problem. There should be a recall on the metal valves. I'm going to contact Chrysler (Dodge) to file a complaint.

- Central Square, NY, USA

Apr 012011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Dashboard began cracking and caving in. Large and small pieces have fallen into the dash area. Soon after, I noticed that several times I have tried using my high beams, and will lose my headlamps, and the high beams don't come on either. Didn't think they were related but recently have heard and read of several other owners who have experienced the same problem with their Dodge Ram that have broken dashboards. Some have other electrical problems in the dash too. I also now have significant wind whistle coming from the front windshield unless I leave a window cracked or vent open when travelling highway speeds. Suspect it is from loss of structural rigidity due to collapsed dash.

- Dougalsville, GA, USA

Apr 162010

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The problems that we are having with our 2009 Dodge slt 1500 is 1...the recall on heat and air...dealer fixed! great! 2....yall ready for this! our truck started smoking and stalling out with no power yes smoking out the tail pipe solid white smoke and you couldn't even see the traffic behind you! how embarrassing is that....soooo the dealer lead us on for 6 months that they didn't know what was wrong and they where doing this and that and finally they broke down and put...rebuilt heads, brand new short block(is what they said) and everything else was rebuilt or used..and called it a new motor!!! now the problem is even worse then what it was before. We almost got hit by 2 semi's trying to change lanes in traffic heading back from gainesville last weekend because the truck stalled when we slowed down slightly. We tried to pick up speed again and the truck would not go no power! what a piece of crap...the deal said that they have to go to atlanta on our truck alone because they have never heard of anything like it! does anyone else have this problem!!!!!!!!! even after a so called rebuilt motor.

- Colquitt, GA, USA

Jan 032009

Ram 1500

Excessive wind noise above 60 mph. Worsens as speed increases. Obvious at 30mph but unbearable by 60mph. Absurd by 70mph.

- Pensacola, FL, USA