2009 Dodge Ram 1500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 122016

Ram 1500

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 there is a manifold bolt that is inferior/defective part dealership has admitted they know it is.. they are replacing atleast one a week. This bolt can break off and cause the motor to cease... warranty will not replace and this is happening to hundreds of people its in all Dodge forums... $400 + to replace this definitely needs to bd a recall only 50,000 miles on truck

- Bean Station, TN, USA

Dec 012015

Ram 1500

Started hearing a ticking sound from my truck when starting it up, but mostly in the morning.took it to the mechanic shop and was told I had a manifold leak. They told me that the leak was due to four of the maniflold bolts had completely broken off the manifold for no reason at all. Upon doing futher research I've found that this is a common problem with a lot of other Dodge.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

May 042016

Ram 1500

Vehicle odometer resets at 66,000 miles. The vehicle has done this three different times consistently @ 66,000 miles.

- Lexington, NC, USA

May 242015

Ram 1500

Vehicle will not shift out of park for up to 90 seconds. It happens randomly, and when it does decided to shift the break peddle may or may not be pushed.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 032015

Ram 1500

Fiat/Dodge is refusing to honor their court order and buy my recalled truck back at fair market value plus 10% of original purchase price. Instead I was offered trade in plus 10% of that. I will not accept them trying to make a dollar off of their mistake. They are putting my families safety at risk every day they play this lowball game.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jan 042016

Ram 1500

I bought my truck in 2010 and a year into owning the truck I started hearing a loud knocking sound and my HVAC started messing up, defrost or heat wouldn't work, it wouldn't blow where I told it to blow, etc...I called Dodge as there was a recall for this and they stated it was already fixed so I had to fix it on my own. I bought all the parts and 3 new actuators and had it repaired. Now, it's happening again. It's winter time and the defrost doesn't work and I shouldn't have to pay to have this repaired again, obviously something is wrong with how they are repairing these or a problem with the actual parts they are putting in. This shouldn't happen 3 times in one vehicle. There are many complaints about this online so it's not just my truck that's having this issue. I know Dodge is in another situation with recalls on the Dodge trucks and I believe the HVAC recall needs another look to see if these were not repaired incorrectly or have defaulted parts that we keep shelling out money for.

- Allen, TX, USA

Sep 291947

Ram 1500

Takata recall my 2009 Dodge Ram at 45to70 mph when crossing abridge or hitting a small bump with either left or right tire my vehicle will jump to that side of the road ive had it to the Chrysler dealer, they said that nothing in loose or worn and hanent had any problems except with the 2500and3500rams doing these things, I love my Dodge but im afraid its going to jump over into incoming traffic and hurt me or some one else.what can I do?

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jan 152016

Ram 1500

Ignition switch intermittently releases key disconnecting all power to control and safety functions including, but not limited to, power steering, power brakes, lights, and airbags.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 102015

Ram 1500

First of all, this is a 2014 Ram truck 1500 longhorn crew pickup.the vehicle was in motion and the front right tire completly fell off and the steering knuckle was sheered off !

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Dec 232015

Ram 1500

My 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 gas tank almost fell out causing almost an explosion of tank. Reason: The tank is held in by two metal straps one side is attach to a frame bolt the other side of the strap is a T shape that slides into a T slot in the frame now what happen is the T section pulled right through the frame causing the tank to drop almost to the road the remainder of the strap was hitting the driveshaft causing sparks if the plastic tank hit the ground it could explode. Dodge rep had mention to me this is a common issue. So I think there should be a recall on this issue.

- Hubbardston, MA, USA

Nov 192015

Ram 1500

K17 recall diagnosis for the right temperature actuator was performed at South pointe Chrysler Dodge in tulsa, ok. I spoke with marla at the Chrysler sca customer service center. My case number is 28251650. Marla was very helpful but she told me that Chrysler will not cover the repair cost. The entire HVAC must be removed in order to replace the right temperature actuator.

- Inola, OK, USA

Oct 012015

Ram 1500

All my information has been received for the buyback program;I have signed the offer form from Dodge and sent it back in, even though the offer was based on a trade in value, plus 10%,and per the agreement with the nhtsb, it is supposed to be based on the fair market value of the selling price, not trade in value since trade in value is significantly less than the selling price.I have been told every time I have called the buyback department that my check is "processing".finally, on Monday, Nov 9th, a supervisor with the fca buyback department(which I understand is a third party call center and not Dodge)explained that Dodge has not released any checks at all to any customers who have chosen the buyback option.I will no longer drive a vehicle that has a dangerous open recall.since I am choosing to have my vehicle bought back, I do not have the option to have the vehicles recall fixed.since Dodge will not treat this matter with any urgency whatsoever, I will take precautionary measures on my own behalf so that my children and I do not get killed/injured because of Dodge negligence. IżM not going to continue to spend money, drive a dangerous vehicle, and put myself, my family, and others at risk because Dodge is dragging their feet on this and not taking the ruling from the nhtsb seriously.I will be prepared to meet at the dealership today.ive asked for a date, any date they will have the check for the vehicle and when I can meet to have this truck bought back, but have heard nothing.Dodge is not prepared to comply with the ruling from the nhtsb when Dodge has had several months to prepare for this and also agreed to the nhtsb ruling. I am now choosing to go through Dodge directly since the fca recall/buyback team has given me all of their information and the matter now rests with Dodge. I have sent approx 6 emails since 11/9 requesting a call back, and still haven't received one.

- Marshallville, OH, USA

Oct 032015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I am working with the fca re-purchase program from the consent order dated July 2015, and the fca program is offering dealer trade value as fair market value of the vehicle. Dealer trade has never been used as a fair market value for anything I have ever seen. When an insurance company pays for the value of your car they give you fair market sales price. They do not and can not use the dealer trade in value as fair market value. They are also offering 10% premium based on the re-purchase price. The consent order clearly states that the 10% premium is to be based on purchase price and it further spells out that purchase price is the price the vehicle was sold the first time to someone for other than resale. Basically the price it was first sold from a dealer. I have worked with the fca since October 2nd 2015 and have been told that I have no recourse with them on how they make their offers. I could not get them to give me a written offer unless I accepted their offer. I am now trying again to get a written offer. When I received a call yesterday from trista at the fca my file had been deleted and they would have to enter me in again. She did tell me that her manager and anyone that could make a decision had looked at the disputes and they would not make any changes. She said that if I did not like that decision I would need to contact the NHTSA or whoever else I thought might be able to help. The fca is offering $22K for my truck with the 10% premium. I have included the fair purchase price run from kbb that I submitted to them back on October 3, 2015. My trucks msrp was approximately $53K. I called the NHTSA yesterday and was advised that I needed to make an official complaint. If I have used the wrong compliant section please direct me to the appropriate one. Thanks, ..updated 03/15/16

- Reedville, VA, USA

Oct 012015

Ram 1500

In the month of September 2015 I received a safety recall notice for my Dodge Ram 1500. This recall gave me a buyback option on October 1st which stated I would receive fair market value + 10%. I completed a kellys blue book appraisal for my vehicle as directed by the fca which gave me a value of 21,500 (trade in value). I contacted fca and assured me that I would receive fair market value which they stated would be highrler than trade in value (21,500) and less than retail. I again accessed kellys blue book which the fca stated they would use at it proved me with a fair market value of 25,500. On October 1st I proceeded to a local Dodge dealership (baxter Dodge) in omaha, Nebraska for the third party appraisal as directed by the fca after contacting several Dodge dealerships which had no information on the recall or buyback option. After waiting several hours for a third party appraiser to arrive at the dealership, I was told be the dealership that I could only do the buyback option if I bought another vehicle from them. After sitting at the dealership until closing hours, I was told they would need another 24 hours to enter my trucks information into the computer to get the appraisal value. After 36 hours had past I recontacted the dealership to due to no one contacting me as I was informed they would. They stated that they had an appraisal and quoted me at 16,000/including the 10% (15,500) under fair market value. I contacted the fca and informed them that I was not receiving what the recall stated I would if I chose the buyback option. They stated there was nothing they could do about it. I am contacting you do to the fca failing to follow the guidelines the NHTSA set for them in reference to the safety recall buyback option. I received documentation promising me fair market value for my vehicle + 10% and the end result was nothing even close to fair.

- Fremont, NE, USA

Oct 022015

Ram 1500

I have contact the local dealer for the Chrysler Fiat buy back on my Dodge Ram 1500 and keep getting the answer of we don't know what to do to buy back vehicles (paraphrasing) I am just trying to get some answers on what I need to do and where to take my truck.

- Chesapeake City, MD, USA

Oct 022015

Ram 1500

Fca is apparently not holding up their end of the consent decree. First I'm told at a dealer that they aren't handling the buybacks, then fca customer service tells me they can "opt out" because they're privately owned. All of them are privately owned! the recall notice, however, says take my truck to the local dealer to get the ball rolling. They're also only offering 10% above "fair market value" when the consent decree specifically says 10% above the original purchase price. There's a huge difference there and as usual, fca cares nothing about the customer only their bottom line.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Sep 282015

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I received the letter about the Ram buy back program. They clearly state fair market value but when I go to the web page www.fcarecall.com it clearly is only offering me trade in value for my truck. Feel free to use my VIN and try it for yourself, note that the page does not work properly in chrome and you will need to use ie browser...every operator at fca correctly defines the definition of fair market value but then when we discuss the buy back program the definition changes to trade in value even though the letter clearly states fair market value...very frustrating. Please contact me with any assistance you can provide...updated 03/15/16

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Aug 222015

Ram 1500

While my wife was driving our 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 she suddenly noticed a dragging noise so she immediately pulled into a parking lot. When looking under the truck she noticed the fuel tank hanging and the fuel strap hanging (one side broken). She had just come off a 50 mph highway so I am grateful it did not happen while on that roadway. We have read 3 other documented exact problems within a months time of our problem. We had it towed by aaa to a close to the location it was at Dodge dealership in the annapolis, md area. After speaking with the service writer at that dealership we learned that the frame had completely rusted out at that location of the fuel strap causing the fuel tank to fall. After speaking to 2 Dodge dealerships, the 800 customer service rep and the regional Chrysler rep they have concluded after saying they have never heard of this happening before (yet one of the documented problems on this listing is in brandywine, md which is very close to the waldorf Dodge dealership who said they have not heard of this problem before and I can't help but wonder if that individual may have gone there with this same problem too which means that dealership was not truthful with us) that it will not be covered and we will have to pay for the repairs due to the mileage on our truck. I keep this truck clean and care for it well, we have all the receipts for everything that has ever been done for the maintenance to keep up the extended warranty, inspected when it is suppose to even though this could have not been detected with such inspections and this vehicle was undercoated when purchased. Will it take a death or serious injury for this problem to be addressed. Obviously it takes approximately 6 years for this corrosion to cause this dangerous problem.

- Shady Side, MD, USA

Aug 262015

Ram 1500

K17 recall closed back in Dec '10. Today the exact same issue is happening (never happened before, but apparently the recall was closed during another service), and since the recall is closed, I'm expected to pay for diagnostics and repairs on something that I have no proof that was actually repaired. I'm guessing when the recall was closed, the issue was never actually fixed.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Aug 092015

Ram 1500

Team: I was replacing the rear shocks when I noticed a weird rust pattern on the cross member near the right frame & catalytic convertor. It looked like orange peel or a rose blooming. I checked the rest of the frame while I was under there. I have done cosmetic rust prevention in the past. Since I'm a diyer & proactive, I grabbed a paint tool to scrape the rust to get to bare metal so I could treat/prime it. Lol not only did the top layer of metal come off, the entire cross member disintegrated into brittle metal chunks which I saved/documented. There's a 4" square section that's gone. Since this is a 400 hp vehicle, I'm sure the frame will tear itself apart eventually even though I baby the truck. E.g. no dents I surmise that water has been trapped up there since I bought the vehicle resulting in frame failure. The metal has no strength. Lol I don't want anybody gettting hurt, so please advise others.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA