2009 Dodge Ram 1500 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 132014

Ram 1500

We were on a highway going speed limit of 70 mph and our truck notification said low tire pressure. We pulled over and looked and the tires looked ok. We pulled back out and went less than half a mile and the tire went completely flat. The valve stem cover nut had spilt and broke off. The whole piece fell inside the tire, causing it to go flat. We had the tire looked at and the valve stem cover nuts and stem threads are all corroded. We put the spare tire on and then again today (April 25, 2014) it said low tire pressure again. Once again a valve stem cover nut split and broke off due to corrosion. We don't have another spare and we were quoted a price of $75 to $90 to replace each of the valve stem pieces. The other two tires on the truck have splits in the valve stem cover nuts and all have corrosion too. So now I've gotta replace these on all four tires and replace one whole tire..

- Marysville, OH, USA

Apr 172014

Ram 1500

Front passenger tire to deflated in less 10 seconds while traling at highway speeds. Tire was less than 1year old and had under 1500 miles on it. Upon inspection there were no puntures/leaks, however the valve stem was severly cracked and fell into the tire upon removal of the wheel. This is the second instance of this happening in less than a year on the truck.

- Ballston Lake, NY, USA

Apr 082014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Traveling East bound on state route 17 in Illinois. After 40miles into trip, noticed in side mirror that drivers side seemed to be down in the rear compared to last time I checked. Vehicle behind me was accelerating as to catch up to me. At the same time felt slight vibration and looking at dash saw low tire warning light come on. Continued to next intersection and turned left, stopped and inspected tire, found that the valve stem was missing from the rim of wheel. Change to spare tire and noticed that it sounded like the metal valve stem was in flat tire and rim. 4-9-14 took my vehicle to my dealer and was advised the tire was shot because of side wall damage, note distance traveled 50ft. Tires were new 15000 miles prior to this occurrence. Dealer checked three other valve stems and found cracks in retaining nuts? stems are aluminum. All stems replaced along with 1 new tire. Cost of mounting and balance and breaking down three other tires and replacement of new rubber style valve stems. Total$ $376.97. Labor $42.50 parts $310.52 shops supplies 2.13 sales taxes $21.82. A relative of mine owns same truck and took to dealer and found his stems were cracked on his truck also. This was as of todays date 4-10-14. Dodge needs to stand behind their product and notice the thousand's of others with same equipment. These tires actually blow out, accidents will most likely happen. Please advise Dodge that others have complained and these people need to be paid in full for the troubles this has caused. Thank you for passing this along, this is a valuable site for the gouged consumer. G M could get a new customer here.

- Pontiac, IL, USA

Apr 102014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My brother and I bought identical Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab pick ups new in 2009. They both have aluminum 20 inch wheels. On 04-08-14 my brother was driving at highway speed when his low air warning light came on and his driver side rear tire went immediately flat. He was able to pull off the road safely. (note: He and I both are very experienced drivers as former law enforcement). Inspecting the wheel and tire indicated that the aluminum valve stem had broken apart and depleted the air immediately. Further inspection revealed that 2 other valve stems on his vehicle were cracked. He had all replaced with new rubber (air sensor) valve stems. The dealership indicated that this is not uncommon with the aluminum valve stems. I had my vehicle inspected and the passenger side rear is cracked and scheduled to be replaced at the dealership at $80 per valve stem. Even as an experienced driver the immediate loss of air pressure in a tire is extremely dangerous. I contacted Chrysler customer service and they advised that they have had several reports of this happening. But, at this time there has been no recall issued. I was told to save my repair receipt for possible reimbursement if a recall should come out. The cost is a concern but not as important as the safety side of this issue. My question is--why is the valve stem breaking apart not an immediate safety recall??

- Pontiac, IL, USA

Nov 072012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the valve stems were corroded and became fractured from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician verified the failure and stated that all four valve stems needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 15,000 and the current mileage was 20,300.

- Sterling, MA, USA

Mar 122014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My concern is valve stem failure. The valve stems on my truck have air pressure sensors on them and are bolted in the valve stem hole in the rim. The nut that holds the valve stem in place failed on the highway and caused a instant deflation of the tire in heavy traffic. This is not the first time this has happened. I have had problems with the valve stem nut cracking before. The first time I took it to the local Dodge dealer due to a constant tire leak they told me it was a bad valve stem. The valve stem cost $50 and $80 to install. The second time was on a scheduled tire rotation and the tech noticed the nut had corrosion and was cracked. He replaced it with a new nut. The third time was the blow out I described first, which also ruined the tire. On inspection of the forth tire the nut is also cracked.

- Geneva, OH, USA

Feb 182014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Noticed low tire pressure while driving. Drove about 10 mile with indication. Parked in drive way. When I unscrewed the valve stem cab the valve stem went almost completely into the tire. The tire went flat immediately. I found that the locking nut was corroded and almost completely gone. I had the tire repaired and was told that the sensor had to be replaced because the sensor and locking nut are all one unit at a cost of $70. Yesterday I check the pressure in all 4 tires and found the locking nut on the front tire broken missing about 1/3 of the metal.

- Piittstown, NJ, USA

Jan 072014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the valve core on the passenger's front and rear tires failed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 28,000.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Oct 172013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The TPMS valve core has corroded and cracked causing a slow loss in tire pressure. This condition has the potential to cause rapid tire deflation and creates the substantial risk of injury should the tire air valve fail. Chrysler is well aware of the situation and has already implemented a design change as they know the air valves are defective. The replacement is $75 out of pocket per tire at my local shop. The service manager and several online forums are plagued with complaints regarding this condition which affects a large portion of vehicles produced by Chrysler. A large oil and gas company (eqt) has ordered all employees operating affected vehicles to have the air valves changed regardless of condition. I, in conjunction with others whom I personally know who have been affected by this defect feel that the item should be recalled as it posses the risk of serious potential injury should the air valve fail at highway speeds.

- Mt. Clare, WV, USA

May 012013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 74 mph, the vehicle suddenly veered to the left. Upon inspection, it was found that the passenger's side front tire was flat. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was determined that the sleeve for the TPMS sensor had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that both sleeves for the rear TPMS sensors failed at a later date. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Lawrenceburg, KY, USA

Jun 262013

Ram 1500

Valve stem popped out of rim and tire went flat, had to replace tire and valve stem and computer chip.

- Syracuse , NY, USA

Jun 192013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while parked, he noticed that the rear passenger's side tire was flat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the locking nuts on all four tires was corroded and causing the valve stems to fracture. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Hubbardston, MA, USA

May 102013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the tire became flat suddenly. The vehicle was taken to an independent tire shop where it was advised that the collar eroded, causing the valve stem to puncture the tire. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Toluca, IL, USA

Apr 182013

Ram 1500

April 18, 2013 at about 4:30 pm, driving on rt 400 expressway South, with my son in the passenger seat, the low tire alarm went off and I proceeded to the nearest exit, and pulled into a parking lot. Upon inspection, my front passenger tire was completely flat. Had tire changed to spare. On following Monday, took tire for repair to my mechanic, where he found the valve stem inside the tire. The threaded collar that goes on the valve stem to help hold it in place was completely gone from corrosion. My mechanic inspected the condition of the other valve stems. He advised I replace other valve stems in the near future. On May 1, I was washing my vehicle and noticed air bubbles forming where the valve stem meets the aluminum rim on the other front tire. I noticed the threaded collar was missing from that valve stem. That same day, I had that valve stem replaced. The replacement part is the same design and material as the original. My mechanic said this will happen again with the replacement parts. I did approach the dealership where I bought the truck and the service manager said there was no recall regarding that problem. He stated later model designs have been modified to correct this.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

May 052013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Failure of valve stem caused rapid tire deflation. Inspection of remaining valve stems indicated imminent failure. Valve stems integrated with tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) sensors and can cause TPMS system faults. Numerous complaints for same tire stem issue reported to NHTSA. Coupled with pinion nut failure potential that has yet to be addressed by issuance of recall notification to owners by Chrysler Corp, total loss of directional control of vehicle is a very real and present danger that renders these vehicles inoperable until issues are addressed.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Apr 062013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While driving on highway at highway speed, rapid tire deflation causing loss of control and veering off road, ,,inspection revealed right front valve stem has a dissimilar metal corroded issue, corroded and fell apart allowing valve stem to fall into wheel causing rapid deflation, ,, installed spare traveled down road about 60 miles now the TPMS lamp is on as that rt tire is flat laying in bed of truck, an hour later truck lost control again and I went off road, ,,I went to look at the spare on rt front and it was fine, ,,,the opposite side left rear tire this time went flat and as the TPMS warn lamp already illuminated no warning avail, ,same thing the valve stem fell inside the rim, ,there was a piece of the retainer cap for the TPMS valve stem left and it easily crumbled into an anealed aluminum state, ,,,two tires same thing, ,,,,,I went and looked at the left front valve stem and it also is exploded and corroded twice it's normal size, ,,,,I looked at the remaining rt rear valve stem and it has one crack in it so it is obvious need replacement. All 4 failing at same time is a product issue and due to loss of control this needs addressing as someone will get hurt, ,,it is apparent that Dodge has changed the style on the newer 2012 versions to rubber but it appears the manufacturer needs to address this safety concern, ,,,,I did attempt same with customer service but to no avail.

- Lockport , NY, USA

Nov 202012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the tire pressure valve monitors malfunctioned due to the close proximity of the metal in the tire rim. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the failure was due to weather conditions and road salt. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 43,000.

- Westerlo, NY, USA

Aug 102012

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Went to check air pressure in tires. While unscrewing the plastic valve stem cap on one of the front tires, the metal valve stem sheared off in my hand. The point of shearing was about mid way down the metal valve stem. The shearing occurred circumferentially in a smooth even plane. There is no evidence of mechanical/physical damage to the valve stem from hitting a curb, etc. I did not exert lateral pressure on the stem, I just twisted the plastic cap with my fingers. The stem was on a tire sensor unit with label "schrader electronics" with apparent part number "8cbffcb4".

- Stony Brook, NY, USA

Jul 272012

Ram 1500 8-cyl

I am requesting the NHTSA explore the power train issues affecting the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. Driver was on highway driving at 60mph when truck starting making a whining and grinding sound which continued for about 1 mile before truck started to run funny. Driver slowed down and moved to the right lane when there was a big bang and a cloud of black smoke came from back end of truck. At the same time the rear end of the vehicle locked up and truck went skidding off the road. When driver examined car found that the entire drive shaft rod and transfer case were laying underneath of vehicle along with multiple other pieces of hardware. The transmission was also locked up and unable to release even in the neutral position. When the Dodge dealer looked into the incident they stated a " pin fell out of the drive shaft and backed up into the rear causing the pin to jam the transfer case". this incident resulted in a complete rebuild of the entire power train system. We would like to see a guide rail made mandatory for Dodge vehicles as this rod fallout could have resulted in a flipped vehicle. Furthermore less than 4 weeks later while driving same vehicle at 15 mph the truck started to shake violently and had to be towed because of a shredded bolt in the rear stabilizer bar that connects the rear to the axle. Vehicle once again to dealer who claims it is all due to the initial issue.

- Horsham, PA, USA

May 182011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Had a tire to blowout on me and my wife on I-30 in littlerock ar. And one more tire with a knot on it. Had to buy 4 new tires. The tires on my truck was Goodyear Wrangler hp P-275-60R-20 my truck is a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 laramie 4X4 not happy with Goodyear.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA