1998 Dodge Ram 2500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Ram 2500:

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 212000

Ram 2500

We purchased a 1998 Dodge conversion van as our family vehicle. On Sept 21,2000 my wife loaded our children, ages 7,6, & 2, into the vehicle. She then went & locked the house door. Our 2 year old got out of her car seat, went to the front of the van, & pulled down on the gear shift pulling it into gear. The vehicle rolled over a 3 foot wall, down a steep hill, through a 2 foot ditch, and then struck a telephone pole. Thank goodness no one was seriously injured, but this condition could have tragic. I own an insurance Agency so I started to check around to see if this was a defect that the vehicle could be put into gear without first applying the brake. What I found out was shocking, I was informed by the Dodge dealer that this safety feature was an option on this vehicle, which I was not informed of at time of purchase, this is ludicrous!!! in my research I have yet to find a private passenger vehicle that is not equipped with this safety feature and to declare it an option on a family use vehicle is irresponsible. Thank goodness the lord was looking over my family that day, but what about the next family. Please look into this situation, so no family has to needlessly endure a tragedy.

- Roseburg, OR, USA

Jan 172001

Ram 2500

Major transmission repair/overall needed. Overdrive remained on, fluid heated up quickly. Repairs bill over $1890. Vehicle has 46,000 mile and only 2 1/2 yrs old.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Jun 152000

Ram 2500 4WD

Transmision failed with no warning, I.e. slipping.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Mar 161998

Ram 2500

Vehicle has antil-lock brakes. When consumer applies brakes brake pedal goes to the floor, and there is pulsation within the brakes. Also, transmission doesn't have speed/gears slip, and there is a leak underneath the hood.

- Oakhurst, CA, USA

Apr 182000

Ram 2500 4WD

Tranamission failed due to incorrect installation at factory.

- Mattawamke, ME, USA

Dec 091999

Ram 2500

Vehicle experienced failure of the transmission while in 5th gear as described in tsb#21-10-98, prior to repair. Mjs

- Woodland, CA, USA

Feb 081999

Ram 2500 4WD

Have had many recalls on this truck, now transmission problems. Just don't know what to do.

- Roosevelt, UT, USA

Jan 242000

Ram 2500 4WD

Vehicle has a broken park rod which is a part of the park gear. When vehicle is placed into park, it will keep rolling. Dealer has been contacted.

- Strafford, NH, USA

Dec 231999

Ram 2500

While accelerating transmission down shifted at will, almost causing an accident.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Jul 281999

Ram 2500 4WD

"as far as I am concerned the truck is a piece of junk, the truck is currently in service for 4 days so far this week for all the above problems(this is the reason I do not have the VIN number), on top of the already accumulated 25-30 days of service. The Chrysler corporation has been notified, as well as my state's attorney generals office, oh and by the way I need 4 new tires as well, after only 25,000 miles."no safety defect listed within summary.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Dec 011998

Ram 2500 4WD

My 1998 Dodge Ram equipped with an automatic transmission shifts into neutral when hitting hard bumps in the road. Chrysler district manager says all Dodge Ram do this and I ought to drive a little slower. The ABS brakes have also fairled on a steep decline. The noise from the front end was horrendous and the wheels continued to roll with no effort to stop. Also the front end of this truck cannot be aligned. Dodge has attempted to correct the problem by installing aftermarket ball joints, however problem still exists and I have gone thru 3 sets of tires. If all Ram trucks shift into neutral then all should be off the road as mine is. I have received several calls from other owners having the same problem.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Feb 201998

Ram 2500 4WD

Since the truck was new, it has been jumping into neutral when we travel, down bumpy roads. The dealer was contacted, Chrysler Canada has been contacted, my insurance company has been contacted, Transport Canada has been contacted, and I would like to know if you have recieved any reports reguarding this problem. If you would be able to E-mail me with any information that you have it would be gratly appreciated. Thank you very much for helping me out.

- Gillam,Manitoba,Canada, AK, USA

Jul 011999

Ram 2500

Transmission does not shift out of low gear until engine is at about 2000 RPM and occasionally will not engage at all when accelerating from a stop.

- Mayport, FL, USA

Sep 271999

Ram 2500 4WD Diesel

With engine running, you can shift into gear just by pushing down on shifter. Engine can be started in any gear.

- Allen, TX, USA

Sep 211999

Ram 2500

Intermittently while driving vehicle jumps out of gear, and the over rive light comes on. Dealer is inspecting the vehicle. Manufacturer has been notified.

- Terryville, CT, USA

Sep 211999

- Terryville, CT, USA

Nov 011998

Ram 2500 4WD

Transmission, 4X4 sending unit.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Aug 271999

Ram 2500

Automatic transmission has slipped and failed to engage since purchase. Have returned to dealer more than once and was told nothing wrong. Iwas told that my foot on the gas pedal is faster than the computer working the trans.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Jul 181998

Transmission failed.

- Quartz Hil, CA, USA

Aug 231999

Ram 2500

Shifter linkage bolts sheered off, unable to put into park

- Columbus, OH, USA