8.1

2. replace dash (18 reports)
  3. hopefully dodge does the right thing and replaces it (3 reports)
  4. either cover it and sell the truck or replace the dash (2 reports)
  5. i'm going to coat the upper dash with fiberglass (1 reports)
  6. plastic dash cover and cover with a dash mat good stuff (1 reports)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Ram 2500:

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 212009

Ram 2500 2500 4x4 5.9L

I'm really disappointed, in the fact that this even happened.

Dodge boasts about how much better there trucks are, and they can't make a dashboard that stays together. I can't believe they will do nothing about making this problem right with all the owners. "SHaaaame on you Dodge"

- , Wallington, NJ, USA

Dec 062004

Ram 2500 Quad Cab SLT Cummins

started to notice a problem when I pulled the front bezel to replace the radio, a small piece chipped off the dash above the instrument cluster. thought I was the problem. since then the whole dash has cracked up, and I see all these complaints. I agree with all the others, that dodge should fix it, or at least provide an improved part at cost.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122004

Ram 2500 SLT Cummins Diesel

We noted the triangular hole in the top right of the dash when we bought the truck used three years ago, and felt it must have been some kind of accident. but in the past three years, the cracking has spread and more pieces have fallen "in". so this year I used epoxy glue on the cracks and put one piece back in place. i couldn't find any pieces that must have fallen down inside the dash area. I don't expect ever to get any satisfaction from Dodge. I will fiberglass the dash to isolate it from further UV effect, and to hold together any further cracking that may be about to occur. Then I will just cover that with a cover I just bought, to make it not look so bad. Tough luck. I bet you Dodge was compensated by the bastards that did the plastic work for them in supplying those dash assemblies. It's a major flaw not to have used UV-resistant material. I noted that the complaints I just looked at here were 8 out of 9 in the southern US, where UV is a big problem. My truck spent a year or two in Florida before I bought it. But now I'm up in Nova Scotia and the UV is minimal, so it might last until I get it glassed.

- , St Peter's, Nova Scotia, Canada

Sep 212005

Ram 2500 2500 4x4 V10

I never would have bought the truck from the dealer if he hadn't promised to fix what at the time was a hairline crack over the gauge cluster. He of course acted like he never said he'd fix it (Lesson learned? = GET IT IN WRITING!) Since that time I've kept a reflective window screen in place when it's parked. It didn't make any difference. It's now cracked in too many places to list. Driving along one day a hole opened up in front of me and the piece fell down in, and out onto the floor later when it got jounced out. Yup. Chrysler sucks. So do their trannies. I've already paid over $800 on that when it's another known defect. And your track bar failures in the suspension? Another known defect. I'm on my 3rd one in as many years. Niccccce design. And your A/C damper door problems?..I got that too. The compressor makes nice cold..it just isn't getting past the vacuum motor that won't hold the damper door open. In the winter I have the reverse problem. Nice hot water at the engine...it just can't get past the heater core and blower.

Chrysler? Let me be the first to tell you...you're going out of business. And new company owners haven't made a damn bit of difference in the quality of your vehicles. My overpaid brother-in-law works for you and he's dumber than a bag of wingnuts. Then again...maybe I'm dumber... I bought one of your POS vehicles.

Say buh-bye. We're all going to other makes...you shmucks!

- , Kenosha, WI, USA

May 152007

Ram 2500 2500 HD 5.9L Cummings

After checking Google for a replacement dashboard cover and coming across AutoBeef, I became even more upset about my dashboard. To think that I bought another '06 Ram 3500 and the same thing could happen to it. I have tried to buy American, even though these vehicles were put together in Mexico. What do you think about that? I'm just sore!!

- , Conway, SC, USA

Apr 192008

Ram 2500 5.P Cummings

I haven't read anything yet explaining the real problem. I've worked around plastic process for 20 plus years, it's the damn type of plastic used when they outsourced the dashboards. For one it's not UV proof, it is too brittle, it is not reinforced and they saved a ton of money on it. There is no way the Corp. is going to foot the bill for the problem. We should go after the vendor as a class action lawsuit! Most likely they are already out of business because of problems like this. I think I'll check out the plastic dash cover I've read about here.

P.S. This truck is a monster that will eat Chevy's and Fords, I'ver never seen anything with this kind of torque!

- , Choctaw, OK, USA

May 062007

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9 DIESEL

Looks as though I get to join some of the "happy" Dodge owners as a member of the broken dashboard club. Looks like it's going to be another quirk of owning a second gen Dodge truck. Aside from the truck being a 99, I guess they'll defend it by saying Illinois is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and that the truck wasn't intended to be operated in such extremes.

- , Carol Stream, IL, USA

Mar 012008

Ram 2500 Xlt Larime 24 valve Diesel

Dash board cracked for no reason. Interior dome light broke for no reason. At 33,000 miles, the fuel filter went out at the repair cost of $2,700.00. The dash shouldn't of cracked, especially because I use a shade cover on a daily basis and the windows are tinted. This SUCKS!!!! Wish Dodge would recall this problem.

- , Santa Clarita, CA, USA

May 142007

Ram 2500 SLT CUMMINGS

i bought this truck new in 1999 and this problem started when the truck had about 27,000. dodge should recall these dashes and fix them. to many are cracking for it to be just one or two people complaining.

- , Portsmouth, OH, US