8.3

1. replace dashboard (50 reports)
  2. recall on dash would help (31 reports)
  4. file class action to mandate dodge to replace safety hazard (6 reports)
  5. install pre formed plastic dash (3 reports)
  6. replace dash with quality material (3 reports)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 2500:

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 102005

Ram 2500 5.9L

I bought my Dodge Ram 2500 in 2002 it was new/used from the dealer with less than 1000 miles on it. After a few years under normal conditions I noticed cracking on the upper part of the dashboard. So, I purchased a sun visor to protect the dash from the sunlight through the windshield. I also purchased a dashboard cover. These items did not solve the problem. Over time the dashboard cracking continued to get worse until now it's practically just falling apart. I got online and it is going to cost approximately $400 - $450 just for the replacement parts and I'm afraid to get estimates for the labor to fix this issue. From what I understand this is a common problem for this year, make and model of this vehicle and I feel Dodge / Chrysler should take some responsibility and make good on these defective parts.

- , Galt, CA, USA

Aug 282006

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

i REALLY THINK THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL IT IS A SAD PIECE OF MATERIAL FOR A DASH

- , Hockley, TX, USA

May 112015

Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel

The crack in the dash came first, then a few more, then more until the dash is falling apart into sharp pieces. This should be recalled. I was going to trade for another Ram but will have to reconsider. This truck stays in a garage all winter and summer, sunlight and heat are not factors in this case, it is poor manufacturing.

- , Port Dover, Canada

Jul 222006

Ram 2500 LS 5.9L Ho

I have been told by my dealer and other Dodge dealers that my truck is out of warranty and there is nothing that can be done since my dash (it cracked in 2006 and has gotten MUCH worse). I have several friends with similar year Rams and their dashes have cracked as well. Obviously, there is a quality issue with the dashes in these things and it would seem that Dodge might care that as we drive their high dollar product around during its long life, that having the majority of these trucks with dashes that look like they have been hammered to pieces could cause pause to potential new buyers. Mine is a diesel and Dodge should remember that these vehicles will be on the road for well over 500,000 miles and that is a LOT of negative advertisement.

Dodge should step up, do the right thing and replace the dashes in these things that cost as much as a house in parts of the US.

- , Welling, OK, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 2500 Desiel

This product is made very cheap. It is cracked in many pieces . If this vehicle had been setting out in the sunlight a lot I could understand the dash cracking like this. But this truck has been parked in my garage 75 percent of the time since I purchased it in 2001.

- , Hamlet, NC, USA

Mar 092002

Ram 2500

The dash in our 2002 Dodge Ram just fell apart. It just crumbled. The Dodge Com.says it not a hazard and won't do a recall. You tell me that if those airbag blowout that all that broke pieces is not gonna hit you in the face or blind you! Why is it only the light grey dash and not the dark gray? They know they messed up and changed plastic. Thank you!

- , Pickens, SC, USA

Oct 082010

Ram 2500 R1AZ Diesel

Its a sad day when a problem this wide spread goes on with such a cold response...

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 012012

Ram 2500 SLT 5.8cummins

No need to go off, It's simple I will never again purchase any dodge product. I believe in loyalty when buying or owning anything. I work hard for my money and expect these people to respect that fact. When I purchased this truck I was deciding between the Dodge and the Chevy, guess I made the wrong decision. Please forward this on to Chrysler group. I'm sure they don't care.

- , Greensboro, GA, USA

Jan 012003

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

First, I love my Dodge Cummins 2500, 4X4. I HATE my cracked dash.

I have two Dodge trucks in my immediate family. I have the Ram 2500, and my son has the 2003 Ram 1500. One of my best friends also owns a Dodge Ram. All three truck dashes are cracked! My son's keeps his truck immaculate, and is far worse than mine. When his started to crack, I knew Dodge had a problem. Now, Dodge's reputation is on the line. If they own up to the problem, I would buy another Dodge product. If they don't, then the company does not respect how their product shows, our loyalty, and the safety of our families.

"Word of mouth" can sell Dodges, or that same word of mouth can crush a company. Add the internet communication to this process, and Dodge can loose multi-millions in sales. You make the call!

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

May 012009

Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9L Cummins

click to see larger images

crack in the dashboard crack in the dashboard

I have never seen plastic that is so fragile. I can't hardly touch the dash without another piece breaking off. Extremely poor quality. Not sure why Dodge thinks this is do to age. I have friends with Chevrolets, Fords, and Toyotas. These trucks have lived in much harsher environments and they have no problems with their dashes. Don't think I will be buying another Dodge.

- , McKinney, TX, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 2500 6-cyl, Turbo Diesel

This is a really bad problem. The dash has multiple cracks in it. I've taped it up to give stability and covered with a mat, but one day I feel like it's going to totally disintegrate and I'd hate to think what would happen in a crash. There are sharp plastic edges. Really would like a good solution to this problem that is not likely to recur. RECALL?? Surely the MFG could get the supplier to pony up some replacement parts with better quality plastic.

- , Lexington, KY, USA

May 012013

Ram 2500 XLT Cummins Diesel

Over the last few years the dashboard on my Dodge truck as cracked and fallen into the dash. this has exposed wiring and is allowing dirt and dust to enter into the dash. The plastic is breaking into large chunks with fairly straight edges. I want a recall to get this fixed at Chrysler's expense rather than mine. I fear that my airbag may not function when I need it.

- , Galvin, WA, USA

Sep 152010

Ram 2500 SLT Diesel

- , greenville, oh, USA

Dec 032013

Ram 2500

THIS IS REAALY BAD AND SHOULD BE FIXED BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT OR KILLED AS WELL AS THE COSMETIC LOOKS OF THE DASH.IF DODGE KNOWS OF THE PROBLEM THEN THEY SHOULD FIX IT.

- , Pleasant Hill, NC, USA

Oct 012013

Ram 2500 Sport 5.9L I6

truck has a dash cover on it and still the dash is completely blown out, and dodge knows its a problem but won't man up and fix it.

- , Nelsonville, OH, USA

Nov 052011

Ram 2500 5.9L

My 66 impalas original dash didn't look this bad! Embarrassing for dodge I'm in collision repair and this is a definate safety issue if air bags deploy, dash will pretty much turn to shrapnel! hope no one gets injured hate to buy another dash that's gonna crack. like many of you I take great care of my truck and this is a huge dissappointment

- , Eastmeadow, NY, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 2500 V8

What is the deal with the dashboards on Dodge cracking and splintering in a million pieces? It is unsightly that the whole dash is caving in and dangerous if there is an accident and the millions of plastic shards are sent flying. dodge really needs to address this problem asap

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 082012

Ram 2500

My dashboard is falling apart!!! Really looks bad on my Dodge Truck!!!!

- , Leitchfield, KY, USA

Dec 152010

Ram 2500 Diesel

Dashboard is totally destroyed,I sure hope when I get hit in the face with a piece of plastic and have an accident dodge will be ready for real trouble.

- , St. James, MO, USA

Mar 012013

Ram 2500

Dash has been falling into vents and the whole dash is caving in definitely a safety issue. Parts blow out vents while turning on ac almost hit me in the eye several times.

- , Ft Myers, FL, USA