8.5

1. have dodge recall; they should fix the problem (28 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (13 reports)
  4. get a coverlay or similar cheap and covers up everything (2 reports)
  5. start a class action law suit (2 reports)
  6. dash cover (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500:

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 152015

Ram 2500 SLT Larramie 5.9L Cummins

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

My truck is very well taken care of and the dash falling apart ruins the truck value and safety. Pieces of plastic sometimes are blown out of the defrost or ac vents. Went to trade it in on another Dodge but the first thing the dealer checked was the dashboard and said although the truck was in great shape and had low miles, they would not take it as a trade due to the dashboard. They went on to say that is a big problem particularly with 2002 & 2003 Ram. Dodge should either fix or replace it!

- , Berryville, VA, US

Aug 012014

Ram 2500 Diesel

I contacted the local Dodge dealer about fixing the dash and they said it is difficult to get replacements and that other plastic parts would most likely break during the installation of a new dash which would cost about $1K to install. You have got to be kidding me! I just happened across carcomplaints.com as I was looking for a fix and am shocked to hear how many Dodge trucks have this same problem. My truck has been garage kept for 10 of its 14 years - so there is no way that this should have happened to my truck. Further we have a 2002 Jeep Liberty whose dash is just fine and the vehicle was only garaged for 5 years! Dodge this is your problem and you should step up to the plate and offer amends and/or repair this defect free of cost.

- , Culpeper, VA, US

Jul 012009

Ram 2500 Laramie SLT Plus 5.9L Diesel

This is ugly and dangerous. Pieces keep falling off and could be a hazard to wiring and a safety hazard if I was involved in an accident. Should be a class action lawsuit to make Dodge replace all dashes with a better quality dash, not just with the same old junk.

- , Taylorsville, GA, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

It is really disappointing that the manufacturer will not replace a well-documented issue with the dashes in these vehicles. We will be buying 2 new vehicles in the next year and although we love our Dodge truck, just due to the non-stand-behind their product response, we will not be buying from them. They could have spent the $$ to do the right thing and replace the dashes versus losing customers over this. Customer service sells and they have lost our purchases - why should we invest in them when do not reciprocate the investment! Typical greed unfortunately.

Thanks for listening!

- , Boise, ID, USA

Jun 142010

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

It's sad to say that is the only complaint that I have with my truck. It is cosmetic ugly and the cracks just keep growing. I live in Washington state it would be hard to say that the sun was the reason the dashboard cracked. I have owned this vehicle since it was new and always lived here in Washington state.

- , Poulsbo, WA, USA

Dec 032013

Ram 2500 Quadcab Diesel

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

The disintegrating dash problem is unacceptable and Dodge needs to fix it.

- , Albany, CA, USA

Aug 142015

Ram 2500 SE Diesel

Bought new, used little. This is obvious a makers defect

- , SISTERSVILLE, WV, USA

Nov 202015

Ram 2500 LST 5.9L Diesel

Small crack started at right side near windshield. Glued it. Crack is 4 inches long, not too bad, but well see what happens later.

- , Roseburg, OR, USA

Sep 102008

Ram 2500 Diesel

Was told years ago it was caused by the sun. There is no way that is true. Truck is in wonderful condition except for the dash. I worry that if we were in an accident what would happen. I know other dodge truck owners who have the same problem.

- , Bushnell, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

The dashboard cracked on my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 in early 2010 (unknown date). It started with 1 small crack, then another, then another, etc. In 2011, I got tired of seeing the cracks and bought a dash mat. 2 weeks ago (9-20-15), I looked under the dash mat and found that it was cracked really badly and now there were holes the size of my fist. I contacted my local Dodge dealer. They said it was very common and offered to sell me a new dash. I see online that this is a very common problem. This dashboard is garbage! I bought the truck brand new on June 6, 2002. As of 1-3-15, I have 247,000 miles on the truck. I have had a LOT of problems with this truck over the years, and despite this, it's still my baby. I pamper the truck and take good care of it and this problem seriously ticks me off.

- , Hayden, CO, USA

Jan 082015

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummings

I live in Northern California and always keep my window shade in the truck protecting the dash when not in use. North Ca does not get that hot. I also have problem with the other interior parts made of the same material i.e.: A-Piller cracked, sunglasses pull down tray on header plastic latch broke off, plastic parts for pushing interior lights broke. These are not exposed to any sun ever.

Dodge cheeped out the truck so they can make more money by using recycled material known as regrind that does not hold up as well as virgin plastics or the temp when injected the mold was way to hot that made the plastic brittle. Either way I paid allot for the truck that I thought I was buying a quality American made truck only to find out it was a cheap truck built in Mexico. Only think great about the truck and will still be running when the rest of the truck falls to pieces is the Cummings Diesel Engine.

This is my 3rd Dodge Ram Truck and it will be my last, 3 strikes your out. I thinking about the new 2016 Toyota with the new Cummings diesel when it comes out next year. See you Dodge....

- , Benicia, CA, USA

Mar 102015

Ram 2500 SLT 6.5L Diesel

The truck has been kept under a car port when not in use and the dashboard should not have cracked due to heat. I am now finding out that this has been a Dodge problem with the 1997 through 2002 models due to using cheap molding. I paid an high price for this truck and Dodge should have used a better type of plastic molding. I am getting estimates on replacing the dashboard and it is going to be in the neighborhood of about $400.

- , New Waverly, T, USA

Jul 262007

Ram 2500 4 X 4 SLT 5.9L Cummins

Initially, I noticed a small crack the summer of 2007 (five years after purchasing the truck). Every once in a while I would hear a cracking sound and by the time the holes were large enough to place your hand in, I decided it needed to be fixed. I had a partial dash cover ($500 vs $1,000) installed because the front part of the dash seemed to be okay. Big mistake, the front portion of the dash is now starting to crack.

I happened to go online today to see if there was a way to repair the crack and arrest its progress. That's when I came across CarComplaints.com. I had no idea that so many Dodge Truck owners were having the same problem. I was strongly considering purchasing a new Dodge Ram. I think it's time to make a change. I didn't realize the potential hazard that existed if I had an accident.

- , Morgan, UT, USA

Jul 012014

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

The dashboard on my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel truck cracked at approximately 137,000 miles on 7/1/2014. I did nothing to cause this problem. In over 50 years of owning and driving vehicles I have never seen this happen. I researched this on the internet and found others had encountered this problem on the Dodge trucks in this time period. There is definitely a problem here that should be corrected by the Dodge

Corporation.

- , Fairhope, AL, USA

Aug 142012

Ram 2500 5.9L 6 cyl

dealer said it is not covered and out of warranty nothing they can do

but he could see a problem as he has seen a lot of them has came through that way

- , Mills, WY, USA

Nov 022012

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

The dash top was made of paper thin plastic of a poor quality in which Dodge is aware of but will not share cost of replacement. This is a hazard because of the jagged edges and possible electrical problems from dash breaking apart.

- , Manhattan, KS, USA

May 012012

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

this is the only part of the truck that is in any way substandard

- , Orangevale, CA, USA

Nov 112009

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

The dash board literally crumbled in front of my eyes, it was patched with a dash cover. The trim around the instrument clusters started to crack and was also covered. I also drive a 20 year old Nissan Sentra that has started to have some plastic fail around the steering wheel, but not a single crack in the dash after 20 years in the Oklahoma sun. The dodge on the other hand failed after just 7 years, and failed catastrophically.

- , Edmond, OK, USA

Jan 112012

Ram 2500 5.9L V8

I believe the dealer should replace it since they know about this. You try to have something nice, but then it turns into sh*t.

- , Caldwell, ID, USA

Sep 092009

Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

Crack was small and now it is BIG! You would think Dodge would do something since there have been a lot of complaints!

- , Westville, OK, USA