1. have dodge recall; they should fix the problem (25 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (11 reports)
  4. get a coverlay or similar cheap and covers up everything (2 reports)
  5. start a class action law suit (2 reports)
  6. dash cover (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500:

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 142015

Ram 2500 SE Diesel

Bought new, used little. This is obvious a makers defect

Nov 202015

Ram 2500 LST 5.9L Diesel

Small crack started at right side near windshield. Glued it. Crack is 4 inches long, not too bad, but well see what happens later.

- , Roseburg, OR, USA

Sep 102008

Ram 2500 Diesel

Was told years ago it was caused by the sun. There is no way that is true. Truck is in wonderful condition except for the dash. I worry that if we were in an accident what would happen. I know other dodge truck owners who have the same problem.

- , Bushnell, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

The dashboard cracked on my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 in early 2010 (unknown date). It started with 1 small crack, then another, then another, etc. In 2011, I got tired of seeing the cracks and bought a dash mat. 2 weeks ago (9-20-15), I looked under the dash mat and found that it was cracked really badly and now there were holes the size of my fist. I contacted my local Dodge dealer. They said it was very common and offered to sell me a new dash. I see online that this is a very common problem. This dashboard is garbage! I bought the truck brand new on June 6, 2002. As of 1-3-15, I have 247,000 miles on the truck. I have had a LOT of problems with this truck over the years, and despite this, it's still my baby. I pamper the truck and take good care of it and this problem seriously ticks me off.

- , Hayden, CO, USA

Jan 082015

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummings

I live in Northern California and always keep my window shade in the truck protecting the dash when not in use. North Ca does not get that hot. I also have problem with the other interior parts made of the same material i.e.: A-Piller cracked, sunglasses pull down tray on header plastic latch broke off, plastic parts for pushing interior lights broke. These are not exposed to any sun ever.

Dodge cheeped out the truck so they can make more money by using recycled material known as regrind that does not hold up as well as virgin plastics or the temp when injected the mold was way to hot that made the plastic brittle. Either way I paid allot for the truck that I thought I was buying a quality American made truck only to find out it was a cheap truck built in Mexico. Only think great about the truck and will still be running when the rest of the truck falls to pieces is the Cummings Diesel Engine.

This is my 3rd Dodge Ram Truck and it will be my last, 3 strikes your out. I thinking about the new 2016 Toyota with the new Cummings diesel when it comes out next year. See you Dodge....

- , Benicia, CA, USA

Mar 102015

Ram 2500 SLT 6.5L Diesel

The truck has been kept under a car port when not in use and the dashboard should not have cracked due to heat. I am now finding out that this has been a Dodge problem with the 1997 through 2002 models due to using cheap molding. I paid an high price for this truck and Dodge should have used a better type of plastic molding. I am getting estimates on replacing the dashboard and it is going to be in the neighborhood of about $400.

- , New Waverly, T, USA

Jul 262007

Ram 2500 4 X 4 SLT 5.9L Cummins

Initially, I noticed a small crack the summer of 2007 (five years after purchasing the truck). Every once in a while I would hear a cracking sound and by the time the holes were large enough to place your hand in, I decided it needed to be fixed. I had a partial dash cover ($500 vs $1,000) installed because the front part of the dash seemed to be okay. Big mistake, the front portion of the dash is now starting to crack.

I happened to go online today to see if there was a way to repair the crack and arrest its progress. That's when I came across I had no idea that so many Dodge Truck owners were having the same problem. I was strongly considering purchasing a new Dodge Ram. I think it's time to make a change. I didn't realize the potential hazard that existed if I had an accident.

- , Morgan, UT, USA

Jul 012014

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

The dashboard on my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel truck cracked at approximately 137,000 miles on 7/1/2014. I did nothing to cause this problem. In over 50 years of owning and driving vehicles I have never seen this happen. I researched this on the internet and found others had encountered this problem on the Dodge trucks in this time period. There is definitely a problem here that should be corrected by the Dodge

- , Fairhope, AL, USA

Aug 142012

Ram 2500 5.9L 6 cyl

dealer said it is not covered and out of warranty nothing they can do

but he could see a problem as he has seen a lot of them has came through that way

- , Mills, WY, USA

Nov 022012

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

The dash top was made of paper thin plastic of a poor quality in which Dodge is aware of but will not share cost of replacement. This is a hazard because of the jagged edges and possible electrical problems from dash breaking apart.

- , Manhattan, KS, USA

May 012012

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

this is the only part of the truck that is in any way substandard

- , Orangevale, CA, USA

Nov 112009

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

The dash board literally crumbled in front of my eyes, it was patched with a dash cover. The trim around the instrument clusters started to crack and was also covered. I also drive a 20 year old Nissan Sentra that has started to have some plastic fail around the steering wheel, but not a single crack in the dash after 20 years in the Oklahoma sun. The dodge on the other hand failed after just 7 years, and failed catastrophically.

- , Edmond, OK, USA

Jan 112012

Ram 2500 5.9L V8

I believe the dealer should replace it since they know about this. You try to have something nice, but then it turns into sh*t.

- , Caldwell, ID, USA

Sep 092009

Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

Crack was small and now it is BIG! You would think Dodge would do something since there have been a lot of complaints!

- , Westville, OK, USA

Jul 152010

Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

I have cut my hands upon the broken portion in front by the steering wheel and my grandsons have rubbed their arms across the broken portion closest to the windshield while retrieving toys and cut themselves. I placed a towel over the hole and crack, however it merely snags the fabrics, and with the electrical below, I am afraid it will cause a short or a fire. I find this to be a safety risk and electrical hazard, and believe Dodge should offer a repair or replacement for this issue.

- , Buckeye, AZ, USA

Jul 062011

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

Every time I clean my dash it feels pretty sharp like it's going to cut my fingers.

- , Medford, OR, USA

Mar 012009

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

dash,looks like hell! crap falls though ,cloth hangs up when you try to clean. my worry is whether moisture on the dash could affect in dash wiring. this stinks!

- , Depoe Bay, OR, USA

Dec 012004

Ram 2500 5.9L Diesel

Dashboard had several cracks. I left it as is until the cracks merge together and several pieces of the dash broke out exposing the inner wiring of the instrument panel. The front bezel also cracked. I called DODGE and they told me it would cost $2500 to replace the dash and that the warranty would not cover it. I like my truck,but I sure as hell wont buy another DODGE if this is the type of QUALITY I am to expect with a 30,000 dollar truck. No wonder why USA manufacturers are in trouble, they can't produce a QUALITY PRODUCT!

- , San Antonio, TX, Afghanistan

Jul 122011

Ram 2500 Larmie SLT 5.9L 360

Come on Chrysler , stand up and take ownership in the way these trucks were made. They have a problem with the dash cracking severely.. They have a BIG problem with front fender rust , door rust and quad door rust.. Stand up and fix the defective problems. These trucks also wander all over the road and have handling issues. Stand up and take ownership of the defects in these trucks !!! Show the damn world that somebody that makes cars and trucks gives a sh*t and cares enough to want to make it right !!!! Do the RIGHT thing , dont just stick your head in the sand because it will cost you money... In the long run this will make your a better company and maybe people will have more R E S P E C T and actually buy more cars.... Money better spent this way instead of the billion on a super bowl ad !!

- , West Burke, VT, USA

Feb 152010

Ram 2500 LS

The truck is low mileage and kept in good condition and clean. Hate to have a cracked dash to mar the looks and jeopardize the protection of vital electrical components under the dash.

- , Amanda, OH, USA