2003 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500:

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

May 122010

Ram 2500

2003 Dodge truck, got recall H46, tried dealer they said would do nothing with recall.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 292010

Ram 2500

Death wobble. Violent shakes after hitting a small bump in a road. The vehicle is nearly impossible to control. Happens at speeds from 30 and up.

- Kent, OH, USA

Mar 222010

Ram 2500

My 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 (4 wheel drive) shakes violently when I encounter a bump on the highway. It occurs everytime when driving around 65 mph and I hit a bump. The truck shakes so much I totaly loose control of the steering. The only thing I can do to stop the shaking is to brake to a speed of aproxamatly 35 to 40 mph. This has happen six times already in the last year. I only have fifty thousnad miles on the truck. This failure has caused my truck to veer into other lanes and has also caused other cars to jack on thier brakes when they are behind me on the highway. I brought the truck to a Dodge dealer. They replaced one of the steering components. This did nothing to alleviate the problem. All Dodge dealers were sent a service bulletin aproxamately 3 to 4 years ago about this potentially deadly saftey issue but when I went to the dealership and explained the problem the manager acted like he knew nothing about it. I fear for my life in this truck. I will not let anyone else drive it until I get it fixed or if it can be fixed at all.

- Westport, MA, USA

Feb 152008

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

When traveling at highway speeds and I hit a bump in the road with my truck the front end shakes violently. This violent shaking has caused me to almost lose control of the vehicle several times. When the vehicle is slowed down to 40mph or slower the shaking goes away. I have researched this and it is a common problem with this vehicle. It is commonly referred to as "death wobble".

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 182010

Ram 2500

Death wobble! this has happened to me to many times to count. I have had the front end of my 2003 Dodge Ram cummins repaired twice. Both times I have had ball joints and tie rods replaced along with axle U joints and followed by alignment. I have also added a dual steering stabilizer system. That has helped a little bit, but it still happens often. The wobble has taken me off the road once at 60 miles per hour. Luckily, nobody was hurt. Please help if you can. Thank you justin hulse.

- Wellsville , UT, USA

Feb 032010

Ram 2500

My 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 will shake violently and possibly go out of control if I hit a bump above 40 mph. This condition is called "death wobble" and has been shown to be on may trucks. It has happened more than 20 times and must slow to 25 mph to make the steering wheel stop shaking. This is a very dangerous situation and could cause the truck to go out of control if I don't slow down at an emergency rate.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jan 082010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated the front end shakes excessively when he drove approximately 45 mph over a bump in the road. The contact is not sure of what the problem is since he has not taken it the vehicle to the dealer. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Reo Rancho, NM, USA

Nov 132009

Ram 2500

2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 wobbles after hitting a bump at 70mph. This happens only at this speed and when you drive over a bridge.

- Chelsea, MH, USA

Nov 242009

Ram 2500

I experienced what Dodge owners are calling the "death wobble" today 24 Nov 2009 after I had the front U-joints replaced on both front wheels and the U-joints replaced on the rear drive shaft. I contacted davis moore in wichita ks and they seem unconcerned about the problem. I was doing 60 mph on somewhat smooth road. I ran over a seam that where the concrete meets and that's when I got the wobble that nearly drove me into the guard rail. I had experienced it back in July 09 in a turn going over a bridge. I drove over a slight bump in the road and that's what started it. My wife informed me that she experienced it back in April 09 same thing drove over a bump and the wobble started. The wobble today has caused the steering dampener to start leaking. At a cost of $149 + tax I will replace it tonight. On all 3 of these occasions we have been lucky enough to be in a 1-lane road either exiting or entering a curve and driving over normal bumps in the road. My incident this morning is first time driving straight no turns or curves.

- Wichita , KS, USA

Nov 032009

Ram 2500

Death wobble, on many, many occasions exceeding over a dozen. I have replaced numerous front end parts to no avail, including tires and rims. It always occurred at hi-way speeds of 65 mph and above, the best way to describe it is a crash happening with out the bent metal. I am sure this is going to get someone killed if they are an inexperienced driver if it hasn't already, the dead don't talk so to speak, you cant see death wobble after the truck has crashed, you may want to look into the single vehicle fatalities of this make and model of truck I am sure it is high ratio for the amount of vehicles sold, one is unacceptable in my opinion. I could be next. It can happen at any time crossing a bridge, pavement patches, especially dangerous passing slower vehicles like semi-trailers and rv's where you have no where to go but the said vehicles and or bridge wall. This is a terrible issue with these trucks, check internet search engines on death wobble, and this is the truck that comes up, what else do you need before something is done?

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 032009

Ram 2500

There have been numerous forums and blogs reporting this same problem among various owners with different equipment specs. The one thing we all seem to have in common is this problem called death wobble. While driving my truck at highway speeds, if I hit a bump at an angle, the front end would start to shake violently. So violently that I have to let my foot of the gas and coast to a speed that puts my life in danger because I can not safely or reliably steer the truck off the road. It takes everything I've got to keep the truck in the lane I am traveling in. This has happened several times and, each time, I try to get it fixed or have a mechanic look into what is causing the violent shaking. Most of the time, the mechanic (about 5 different service stations) can't duplicate the problem. I asked a senior customer service agent with Chrysler what they could do. She said that goodwill assistance was declined. I asked her what she meant by that, she said that I don¿T have a warranty, my truck is 6 years old, I have 80K mileage, and Chrysler will not help. I wasn't the one who has declined this proverbial goodwill assistance nor was it in my power. I don't even know why she would bring it up. Certainly, if it was offered, I would at least have the option. Now I have a truck I'm afraid to drive and no recourse.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

May 122009

Ram 2500

I own a Dodge 2003 2500 pickup. Death wobble. It starts at 45 to 65 mph a wobble that is so server that you lose control of you pickup. I have replace parts in my frontend and contacted Dodge for help.if you review internet this is a big problem. They need to be recall due to dangerous conduction and lemon law. It is said that our tax money went to bail out a co. That wont fix a problem as dangerous as this and we the tax payers or bailing them. Please do investigation on this asap. You are the only one that can stop someone from getting killed, and our protactors. It time to do something!!

- Poplar Bluff, MO, USA

Jul 182009

Ram 2500

I have nearly lost control of my vehicle after driving over an interstate overpass at highway speeds and/or a bump in the road. The first few times it occurred, the feeling was unsettling and not 'normal' - subsequently, when the problem progressed, it was a new level of shaking and wobbling after crossing an overpass with pavement irregularity - the vehicle went into an extremely violent shake and scared all of us in the vehicle. This problem has continued to get worse. I then received a recall for a safety problem in the front end of my vehicle and thought, ok, this problem is being adressed and Chrysler is going to fix it. The dealer took the recall notice, said it didn't apply to my truck. Then after saying they cannot find anything wrong with the vehicle (and charged me $35) they told me that the shaking was because of my tires. After getting different tires, the problem remains. The violent wobble is extremely dangerous and the local Dodge dealer seems to be ignorant of any widespread problem with this. I guess they never searched google, because there are dozens of hits on this exact issue.

- Monmouth, IL, USA

Apr 012006

Ram 2500

Truck shakes after hitting bump at 70 miles per hr.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jan 022009

Ram 2500

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 cracked dashboard. Vehicle has 31K miles. Power windows malfunctioning, airconditioning blower malfunctioning. Dodge dealer will attempt to replace at owners cost. Check engine light on for power steering sensor problem. Sensor will have to be replaced.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Mar 172008

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle drove over a pothole and began to shake violently. The dealer named the failure the "death wobble" and stated that there were no recalls for this failure. The manufacturer and dealer would not repair it for free. The current and failure mileages were 77,200. Updated 6/9/08 the consumer believed there was a problem with the ball joints, stabilizer, trac bar and alignment. Updated 06/09/08

- Logan, UT, USA

Apr 102007

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

Traveling down freeway at speed of 70 mph passed over overpass hit bump and truck begin shimmying uncontrollably, had to bring truck to complete stop to get shimmying to stop. This has happened many times at speeds about 55 mph hit bumps and truck begins shimmying uncontrollably, have to completely stop vehicle each time. Have replaced everything in front end along w/ adjusted air pressure in tires according to service bulletin, nothing seems to work. Took to dealer they stated nothing else could be done. Truck still has same shimmy and cannot get anything done about it. This needs to be recalled before someone gets seriously injured.

- Trumann, AR, USA

Aug 012006

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that when recovering from making a turn, the steering wheel locks when he attempts to straighten the wheel. The failure causes him to loose control of the vehicle. The failure has occurred approximately forty times. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage is 44,000 and failure mileage was 28,000.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Dec 282004

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The vehicle's front end vibrated uncontrollably when driving on uneven pavement. The contact must come to a complete stop when the vibration occurs. The dealer stated the steering booster damper, outer links, and tire kit could all be possible causes for the failure. Chrysler stated that there were no flags related to the vehicle's failures. The current mileage was 77,000, and failure mileage were 35,000.

- Proctor, AR, USA

Jan 042006

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 quadcab 4X4 P/U goes into an uncontrollable front end wobble after hitting a bump in the road but only while traveling in excess of 60 mph, I have had new tires put on, front end checked, aligned, new front steering damper, new rt front ball joint and hub assembly.

- Springdale, AR, USA