2. install dodge steering updated kit (2 reports)
  3. replace stablizer shock (2 reports)
  4. new ball joints & axle joints (1 reports)
  5. replace stabilizer, springs, dampener, tires, hubs (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 2500:

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 012016

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

04 dodge Ram uncontrollable wobble at highways speeds. The only way to stop it is come come to a virtual stop. Replaced all of the steering components bought from the dealer and did not fix the problem. Supposedly the steering linkage was an upgrade to FIX the problem. Well it didn't work.!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Phownix, AZ, USA

Jun 172013

Ram 2500 SL 5,7

just fix it Please..i almost have to stop to stop it from wobbling

- , Apache Junction, AZ, USA

May 142014

Ram 2500 Laramie 5.7L

Shortly after I purchased my Dodge 2500 Hemi Magnum Laramie, it would shake, bounce, and rattle violently, out of control, when I would hit a bump in the road. I had to slow down to 40 miles on the thruway, to get the truck back under control, while I have 18 wheelers behind me going 70 - 75 miles. I lose total control of vehicle, & have a death grip on the wheel. I have my wife of 32 years in the vehicle, with me. She is petrified, when this happens. I would like to have this documented, for this is cause of my untimely death.

I just got the ball joints done in April, 2016. Front shocks & steering shocks, May 2016. The Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, still has the violently death shake. It is terrifying, feel helpless, & don't know what is coming next. This problem needs to be rectified immediately.

I will never buy another Dodge because of it, this was my first one, & will be my last, & I will be sure to let everyone know of the Dodge poorly manufactured vehicle, that we were never told about this when purchased & they were aware of this DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!

- , West Sand Lake, NY, USA

Jun 012016

Ram 2500 ST 5.7L V8

I just bought this truck today. Its a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. I was driving it home from the dealership! Going down the road, around some corners, I hit a bump, and the truck felt like it was hit with a jackhammer. I actually went off road. It was next to impossible to handle. All I could do was hold on and slow down.

As I got out and started to check it out, a truck came up behind me and stopped. He got out and was like," I saw it, I was coming from the other way, and It looked like your wheels were going in different directions! I have the same truck,with the same problem. I've never seen it happen to someone else before tho!" He also welcomed me to the ownership of a Dodge, and get used to be on the side of the road! He also said he felt bad because he saw the dealer plate. He said he's been dealing with Dodge and it's still not fixed. Even after new parts?!? Great! I'm glad I got the warranty.

It was pretty scary when it happened. I couldn't steer. It just sort of bounced around really fast. Felt like a cartoon truck my wife said.I'm just glad I was only going 40, and it wasn't too busy. I checked the lug nuts, and etc. everything was good. It did pass inspection today. I looked online, and it told me to start here.

- , Deerfield, NH, USA

May 132016

Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9L Cummins

A bad front end wobble after hitting bump, shakes uncontrollably, been a repetitive problem, dodge dealer would never have parts, just wondering what, or if, they're doing anything to rectify problem on these particular model trucks.

- , Gallup, NM, USA

Apr 122016

Ram 2500 SLT 5.7L V8

The date that I gave on this report is the most recent time this has happened. Since the truck turned over 100,000 miles, I have had the death wobble about a dozen times. The truck is not safe to be on the highway. I only drive it locally. I have a 31' camper that I won't even take on the interstate because of the danger that presents. That really limits my vacation options. Chrysler has known about this for years, yet they have done nothing. I didn't know about this until it happened to me. If I had, I would have bought something else.

- , Sardinia, OH, USA

Apr 102016

Ram 2500 SLT Diesel

While driving home yesterday with my wife we hit a small bump on the highway and the truck started shaking uncontrollably with the steering going back and forth. I jammed on the brakes nearly getting rear ended to slow down below 30 mph where it just went away. Back to normal except for a petrified wife. This has occurred several times since I purchased the truck new. Dodge says there is nothing wrong. When I finally have an accident or someone dies, I want it on the record. They have a problem with their trucks.

- , Ft. Worth, TX, USA

Sep 102015

Ram 2500 Hemi

With this vehicle, (which is my Dads, hes a retired coast guard veteran) when you hit a bump going faster than 40 mph in some cases up to 75mph on the inter state, the truck shakes from the front left tire so violently there are many people who would not be able to keep the vehicle on the road. Dodge needs to recall these trucks ASAP or permanently fix them. Its a ridiculous and extremely dangerous defect. The vehicle was purchased from Rockland Ford in Maine last summer, used. There was no mention of this at the sale of the truck.

- , Friendship, USA

Aug 052015

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L

First I would like to say in 2011 my husband was killed in a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 just like my 2004. Besides a flat tire we still can't prove that the tie rod breaking is was caused the crash to be so horrible. But I was in another vehicle driving just in front of him and saw the whole thing. So now I am a widow in the same type of truck that has just recently stated the wonderfully horrible death wobble. It feels like the whole front end is coming apart in you hands. Yes slowing down does help a bit but I have also figured out that if you jerk the wheel really fast and hard to one side it also stops it asap. But then other people may think your drunk if it happens around other cars.

So please if someone starts this class action suite I am so in with you. I can't afford to pay for repairs and there are no recalls on this problem! I need help thanks to Dodge I am a widow and poor now to boot because of my husband's death. Please Dodge owners we need to pull together and do something as a group!

- , Caliente, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Ram 2500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

Had a fun time with the Dodge death wobble from hell. After multiple trips to the dealer and multiple aftermarket warranty claims, it finally got fixed. Had to pretty much have the whole front end replaced from the frame to the wheels to get rid of it. It was explained to me that if one small thing is a little bit out of tolerance, it would cause the wobble due to brackets being welded in the factory that were off a bit. Ran off the highway a few times and had an accident due to this. The wobble was so bad that it shattered the dashboard and has wobbled the electronics to the point that the fuse panel and pcu have had to be replaced also. Now its having ground issues.

- , Frederick, MD, USA

Oct 242015

Ram 2500 Slt Heavy Duty 5.9L Turbo Diesel

This is a significant hazard. The vehicle front wheels are vibrating and the truck is shaking violently. It takes all you have to hold on to steering wheel. If someone is not thinking it can immediately result in a serious single or multi vehicle accident with potential terrible injuries or death(s). At high way speeds and multi lane traffic it will be a new head line followed by a wrongful death suit by the family.

Dodge Chrysler needs to step up and do what's needed to correct this issue and stop putting insufficient mechanicals in a truck of this wt.

The subsequent damage to the steering components and front end at this point have generated a $2000 initial estimate to repair. This is an initial estimate, as the mechanics disassemble the bad parts it is possible more will be found and higher costs communicated.

Dodge boys... very bad press here... very bad...if you got the balls to step up you should... then I'd say you live behind your advertising... this truck is not Ram Tough!

- , Phoenix, NY, USA

Feb 042013

Ram 2500 SLT 5.7L

I have what's call "death wobble" and afraid that truck will fall apart on highway. Which in turn can cause accident or death. Won't happen till your going more than 50 mph but might go away when you slow down. I can't let no one drive my truck if it would happen to them and they get hurt or killed. Dodge says they know about it. But guess won't fix it or have recall till some one dies? Friend of mine has a 3500 Dodge that does the same thing and he won't drive it that much. I use my truck as my main source of transportation and most only happens on interstates where speed is 65+, like I said only happens at 50- 55 plus mph.

- , New Lenox, IL, USA

May 042015

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Cummings

viewed the complaint forum of my 2004 dodge ram 4x4 with diesel 2500. Front end shakes uncontrollably at slow speeds. hitting a minor deflection in the road surface. Because I'm a professional driver I was able to handle the situation. If my wife was driving or anybody else for that matter they more than likely would have lost control and rolled. This is not an exaggeration. I viewed the complaint forum and am disappointed no one has found a solution. I'm further disappointed our own United States companies and country men have let us down. But they are hoping and expecting we will put up with it. Has anyone filed a joint lawsuit gathering all complaintents together in one mass movement, or will this be a case where it is cheaper for the company to pay off a wrong full death suit than to step up and make an attempt to help resolve the problem. I purchase American products to support this country good or bad but when it comes to the carelessness and greed the Chrysler company is exhibiting regarding human life,( specifically your wife and kids) they under estimate the power of small group with a purpose. Stay committed to your cause. This isn't just a problem with a vehicle it's a systemic problem with our country, of us accepting so much it has become unacceptable.

My regards to you all one man one patriot

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 142014

Ram 2500 5.9L Turbo Diesel

It shook so violently that I thought the tire blew and was jumping up and down couple of feet. It happen to up while traveling with all my family driver + 5 passages going on trip to Lake Powell and towing boat (21' Mariah talari). Passing semi just outside Nephi, Utah, I hit bump on Bridge wile going 70MPH. We puled off road and checked for damage. To my surprise nothing visually wrong. Happen to us couple more time on the 600 mile round trip, learned to avoid pot holes and bumps at all cost.

I spend my Memorial day weekend replacing the steering linkage kit and upper and lower ball joints. I discovered the "Death Wobble" term after my front alignment was declined because of ball steering joints. I ended up purchasing the Dodge OEM steering updated kit (assembled bar, joints, shock). Set me back $700, but what is your life worth?

- , Pleasant Grove, UT, USA

Feb 192015

Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9L Turbo Diesel

Classic Dodge Ram Death Wobble. The dealerships refuse to fix it.

- , Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Jul 172015

Ram 2500 SLT 6.9L

60 miles per hour on the freeway, hit a small bump and the truck started shaking uncontrollable. It shook itself into another lane until I could slow it down to 35 miles per hour to make it stop. Not the best thing on a freeway. This is the third time in the last 3 years. This was the worst.

- , Stanwood, WA, USA

Mar 262015

Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

I have put almost $3000 into the front end of my dodge which I bought new in 2004. I still can't kill the death wobble. Today it was so bad I crashed and rubbed the concrete barrier, as the shaking was so bad. I can't afford another truck, and I don't even know what to look for as this was the perfect thing for my needs. I am disgusted with the design of this front end.

- , Little Compton, RI, USA

Jan 292015

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L L6 Td

The video I posted with this complaint isn't my video, and it doesn't even depict the severity of the "death wobble" I experienced, but it is the closest I could find online. This "death wobble" has happened several times to my truck. I completely rebuilt the front end, but it continued to happen, and destroyed some of the new parts I had replaced. I took it to a local Chrysler dealer/shop and they originally agreed to repair the problem. For some reason they changed their mind and expected me to pay in excess of $575 for the repairs. So, now my truck sits here at home because I'm afraid to drive it at highway speeds (especially with our "smooth" roads here in Arkansas). I WILL be joining the class action lawsuit.

- , Pea Ridge, AR, USA

Jan 242015

Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

I received a recall notice to have my tie rod inspected a couple years ago and when I took it in I was told my truck did not need the recall. In all my years of driving I have never experienced anything like the vibration I did when I hit a bump traveling at highway speed of 65 mph. I was able to get the vibration to stop after braking and slowing down.

The next day I started my internet search into the vibration I experienced. What I discovered was the phrase "Dodge Death Wobble".

The more I read on this topic the more I was convinced that my truck is demonstrating the death wobble.

- , Stillman Valley, IL, USA

Jun 162014

Ram 2500 SLT 5.7L

When driving down the highway and hit a bump or pothole the front end of the truck jumps and shakes and I have to significantly slow down to around 30-35 to get it to stop. Have put on new tires and replaced all ball joints. Have been told shocks would fix the problem but don't have money to keep throwing into truck to try to figure out what will fix it.

- , Rudolph, OH, USA