2.0

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 2500:

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 122016

Ram 2500

The right lower control arm has broken, as if it had been cut, down the middle. Even though I purchased this vehicle from a friend, I have never abused this vehicle in any fashion. The person from whom I purchased it did use it to pull a 5th wheel rv. I was jsut amazed by the way the control arm broke.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Jun 012016

Ram 2500

I was driving it home from the dealership, on a back road, going about 40 mph. I hit a bump, the whole front end started bouncing uncontrollably. Like it was hit with a jack hammer! I ended up off the road! as I got out and was looking to see what happened, a guy stopped behind me. He got out, and said he has the same truck with the same problem. He's never seen it happen before, only experienced it first hand. He said it looked like the wheels were going different directions! I didn't see anything wrong tho. The lug nuts and everything were tight.it even passed inspection this morning! I looked online and it said to start online here to document the complaints.

- Deerfield, NH, USA

May 142016

Ram 2500

The leaf sprimg assembly on the passenger side in the rear broke away from the frame. Being that I am retired and this is my personal vehicle I dont put to many heavy loads on it. I do have a travel trailer and a boat. I have never pulled them together nor do I use them all the time from occassion I go camping. I do fish a morethan I camp but the wait of either is relitively the same. I had my family with me when the leaf spring broke. I have 5 trucks, I have done the same things with all of them and never had a leaf spring brak from the vehicle. As I took it to the dealer he told me he has only seen this once in his 20 years of working on trucks. I do belive that this is an area of concern..

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 122016

Ram 2500

My truck has death wobble. When I drive on the highway under normal driving conditions and hit even the slightest bump just right, my front end will shake violently and will not stop shaking until I slow down to under 30 mph. It has been happening for 2 years now and there isn't a sure fire fix for this problem. Several mechanics have looked at my truck and they all have a different idea of how to fix it.

- Sardinia, OH, USA

Oct 272015

Ram 2500

I was driving down I-15 at approximately 70mph and hit a small bump in the road. The front end started bouncing uncontrollably. Had to completely stop in traffic, which almost resulted in a big accident. This is not the first time this has happened. I was in traffic on Monday this week as well and the same thing happened twice at slower speeds and on both of these occasions was almost hit by an 18 wheeler. I am a female and trying to hold on to the steering wheel while it jerked violently back and forth was almost not doable. When is Dodge going to be held responsible for making a safe truck for us to drive" my mechanic told me that just about all of these trucks have this same issue and they won't fix it unless it cracks. This is not safe for drivers anywhere. Is it going to take a serious accident or death to get something done about this problem"

- Layton, UT, USA

Oct 012015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. While traveling at 55 mph, the front end of the vehicle began to shake uncontrollably without warning. The failure occurred once. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 112,000.

- Kinta, OK, USA

Jan 182013

Ram 2500

My 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 exhibits the classic defective steering linkage issues common to Dodge Ram of this year and results in the "death wobble" when driving over a bump at highway speeds. It becomes nearly uncontrollable until I slow to below 30 mph. The dealership always claims that they either "cannot duplicate" the issue, or that they couldn't fix it if they could duplicate it anyway. I bought the Dodge Ram used in 2013 and have been having this issue ever since. I did not know that this was a common Dodge Ram problem, that has been ignored by Chrysler, or I would not have purchased the truck.

- Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Jun 222015

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. While the vehicle was being serviced by the dealer, the technician informed the contact that the vehicle's upper, lower, and U joints were fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 154,000.

- Cottonwood, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Driving home I hit a pot hole at 65 miles an hour when the trucks front end started shaking violently. I had to slow down to about 35 miles an hour to get control. Its been a regular occurrence ever since. I have taken it to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong. I have researched and spent over $1000 on parts. Apparently it is a common problem with Dodge known as the "death wobble" that Dodge fails to acknowledge or take responsibility for.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Apr 222015

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. While reversing into the garage, the throttle body detached. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000. Updated 8/19/15 the consumer also stated the tie rod broke, the U-joints and upper and lower ball joints needed to be replaced. Updated 08/25/15

- Cottonwood, CA, USA

Jul 112014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

In July 2014, traveling along a 2 lane highway, we hit a bump in the road and the truck started to violently shake to the point where we had to come to a complete stop on the road. Scared the entire family as we got out to see if we had a tire failure. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Continued on the vacation and had it occur 3-5 more times while in the truck. While on vacation, had the steering damper(stabilizer) and rotated the tires but that did not fix the problem. Upon return home, took it to a non-Chrysler service center as the local Dodge dealer was 3 weeks out on getting the truck in. They replaced both upper and lower tie rods joints, wheel bearings and aligned the vehicle. $2000 approximate cost plus the steering stabilizer and no fix. Took the truck on another extended trip on 4/3 and had it occur again. When I called Chrysler dealer today (4/6), the service advisor was unaware of any problems with this truck and advised me to bring it in which I will do next week. It still has the passenger air bag recall out on it. All previous recalls have been inspected by Chrysler service centers. This is a very dangerous situation and I fear that allowing the truck on the highway dangers not only me and my family but other motorists traveling near us.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jan 292015

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

Otherwise known as the "Dodge death wobble". the approximate incident date is the last time it occurred because I can't remember when the first time was. I attempted to have this issue resolved/ repaired by Chrysler multiple times just to get the runaround every time. This last time 02/16/2015, they had me driving 30 minutes to their shop, in treacherous driving conditions caused by 5 inches of sleet and snow received the night before. Then they ended up wasting over 3 hours of my time/day by not doing any work at all to my truck the whole time it sat in their shop and tried to make me pay in excess of $575 for any work they was going to do. I had already rebuilt the entire front end in mid 2013 and in 2014 I dumped $10000 into rebuilding the engine because it blew 4 of the 6 compression rings for some reason, I can't afford to rebuild the whole front end.......again. This is a seriously dangerous issue and has had hundreds of complaints about it. There is even a class action lawsuit over it. Chrysler knows there is a problem and has the parts to fix it, so why won't they just do it" doesn't Chrysler care about the safety of their customers"

- Pea Ridge, AR, USA

Dec 202006

Ram 2500 8-cyl

For the 3rd time my 2004- 2500 Dodge Ram truck has the death wobble. First time 2006 then second time 2010 and now again in 2014. This is a very dangerous experience to occupant's of vehicle and any vehicles near by. A simple man hole in road or a bridge section will cause the truck to shake uncontrollably. This is no prior warning as to when this will happen. Dodge apparently knows about the problem however the service centers claim there is nothing wrong and that all trucks do this. I have owned trucks my whole life and even another Dodge truck and have never experienced this until this poorly engineered 2004 truck. **please require Dodge to warn all these owners and continue to repair and replace the parts to keep owners safe** my friend had one of these and traded it due to the problem so there for another innocent driver will possible die because they are not aware of the problem. Please please please make Dodge corporation stand behind the product that innocent buyers spent their hard earned money on and now have to fear for their life.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Jul 012014

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 06V288000 (suspension) in July of 2014. The dealer and manufacturer stated that the parts were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 9/18/14 the consumer stated after two weeks the vehicle was repaired. Updated 2/11/15

- Billings, MT, USA

Jul 292011

Ram 2500 6-cyl Diesel

I was driving the truck along hwy 5 in northern California in the fast lane when, going over a bridge, the front end started to violently shake. The steering wheel jerked out of my hand, I slowed down and had to pull over in front of another vehicle. Truck continued to shimmy until I came to a stop. I got out and thought maybe I had blown a tire - anything - while stranded on the side of this major hwy with loaded semis lying by. I could not see anything wrong with the truck. Got back in, it happened again some 50 miles later. I had the suspension checked and a part replaced. It happened again this spring 2014. I was told by the dealer that it was my tires. The tires were nearly new the first times this happened. I replaced the tires and am now told I have to replace other suspension parts that are damaged/worn at only 80K miles. I have had trucks, cars, etc, for decades that never had suspension issues like this even when they had over 130,000 miles. It angers me that everyone has problems with these diesel trucks and the dealers get away with poor suspensions. A week ago, I was on the freeway and saw this happen to a truck in front of me. I watched as the person attempted to slow down while trying to gain control of the truck and had to try to get across 3 lanes of heavy traffic to the side of the road. How many people have been killed by this" injured" I felt badly for them as I know exactly how that felt as they struggled to slow down and get over with semi trucks, cars, etc, fly by them.

- Yelm, WA, USA

Mar 042014

Ram 2500 8-cyl

Ran over a pothole at 65 mph and the front end violently shook. Had to apply the brakes and slow down to 50 mph in order to gain control. Took it into national tire and battery and $1700 later, I still have the problem. Semi truck behind me almost ran over me. Violently shakes. Very scary.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Mar 252014

Ram 2500 8-cyl

Going down I94 I drove over a very small pot hole and the truck started to violently shake almost causing me to loss control. I slowed down to 45 on a posted 70mile freeway during rush hour to get it under control. It has happened 2 times scents. The truck is at the shop now.if U look at the internet there are many people with is problem called death wobble and it is not a easy fix Dodge needs to be held responsible before someone gets hurt.

- Milan, MI, USA

Dec 192013

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

2004 Dodge Ram 2500. Consumer writes in regards to tie rod ball stud recall notice, heater controller unit, front end steering control and suspension issues. Consumer seeks reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated the steering box and power steering pump were replaced. The source was metal shavings in the steering box. Also, it was noted the sway bar links were worn out, and the dealer was unable to perform a full alignment, because the upper ball joints were loose. The consumer had to manually move the heater blender door, in order to turn off the heat. The check engine light illuminated, which was traced to a frayed wire, and eventually fixed. The consumer stated a service advisor informed him, nothing needed to be done to the vehicle, as far as the recall was concerned, after only looking at the vehicle for a few seconds.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 242013

Ram 2500

Vehicle started death wobble, I replaced the entire front end. Dodge recalled parts, now are denying repayment for parts I paid for.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Nov 282013

Ram 2500

I was on my way to see my doctor in waltham, MA. And I travel the MA.turnpike at 67mph, and every bridge span or bump in the road surface the truck started to shake uncontrollably until I went to the brake down lane and brought the truck to a dead stop. In the 166 miles from my home to the doctor office and back home again I had to stop this truck 15 times. When I brought it to the dealership I had to pay $1,699.31for the damage that was cause by a defective part that no one want to replace under what should be a recall. Chrysler says that because of the year and mileage of the vehicle that it was my problem even though they have redesigned the part that cause this problem in the first place. And even after I pay the first repair bill the truck still had the same problem until the mechanic tighten the bolts on the part. The truck is still handling the same as before it was fix. And because I have had major surgery I will have to travel that road many times before I, M healed. Because I'm on workman comp. I have limited funds to live on and I really worry when I drive that truck as I can't afford another vehicle and Chrysler want to do nothing about it until someone is hurt or dead.

- Springfield, MA, USA