2007 Dodge Ram 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Ram 2500:

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Sep 122007

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

Had truck for 4 years, only put 42000 miles on it. Took it in to dealer for emissions problems three times, did egr /cooler /turbo / dpf " cleaning " X2, also upgraded ECM program /burned up and replaced, while attempting, finale straw was between 35K-42K miles, developed "death wobble " at highway speeds, took to dealer after I trouble shoot it, "was not the steering stabilizer shock" tie rod end at steering box was worn out. " non greasable " 40000 miles. Dealer said there was a "bulletin out " they replaced all steering linkage "tierod ends + rods ", then claimed it on the extended warranty, I paid the deductible / called Dodge, then traded off the truck for a Ford. Loved the Dodge truck / cummins eng. Hate Dodge service, I manage a 30 truck fleet, we had 10 Dodge's, now will have less in the future.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Oct 082011

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

At highway speeds when you hit a bump in the road the front steering of the truck starts a violent shaking commonly known as the death wobble. This does not allow you to steer or control the vehicle until you slow down to 30mph. I have been ran off the road several time when this occurred, thankfully I did not hit another vehicle. Dodge is aware of the faulty design and will sell the redesigned parts to eliminate the issue for about $600. They will not warranty it unless it is installed by them. If you want "under warranty" truck repaired to fix their faulty design you will have to pay for parts and labor, about $1500 total. This is a very dangerous problem. There are several videos on youtube that show how it happens and the "death wobble" in action, search "Dodge Ram death wobble". thanks.

- Atascocita, TX, USA

Mar 052008

Ram 2500 8-cyl

Violent shaking in front suspension/steering when hitting potholes or expansion joints in roads at speeds over45 mph +/-. have to slow to near stop till it goes away. Very dangerous suprised no one is killed from this.

- New Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 142011

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased a used 2007 Dodge power wagon from a small dealership in may of 2011. I have been a loyale Dodge owner for many years and don't know why. Upon test driving this truck before the purchase I felt a shake in the front end. I spoke with the privious owner who indicated the tires were the issue. I took a chance a bought the truck "as is" with no warranty implied. I have researsed the Dodge "death wobble" because I knew it would just be a matter of time before I experience it. I was right. I knew that replacing parts was not the answer after reading many complaints on the web. Like a dummy, I took it in to a couple different places. I called the dealer and asked if there was a "fix" and they did not know of any. My research took me to a well known heavy duty truck shop. I told him about this issue and he was very convinsing that they could repair it. This tech/owner knew more about this problem then Dodge. Again, I took the chance I spent over $650. He had issued me a tsb from Dodge that stated replacing all 4 tie rods and doing a special allignment would cure it. Nope! since the purchace I have replace all 4 tires, steering dampner shock, all 4 tie rods, and numerious tire ballancing and allignments. I feel like an idiot. I'm doing exactly what I said I would'nt, spend big money for a known saftey issue from Dodge! my complaint is the very known "death wobble". I should have wrote when I went through Dodge transmission problems. I'm a hard working, tax paying, family man who pays his bills and so on... yes, it does boil down to getting personal. Consumers are taking the hit for so many thing. If I were to do something that was right I would do everything I could to make it right. Dodge needs to wake up and realize they have a huge saftey issue that could end many lives! please read/reserch these may complaints and make it right for the people.

- Waterloo, WI, USA

Sep 012011

Ram 2500

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 pick up truck. Consumer states vehicle violently shakes and moves back and forth the consumer stated the vehicle has a problem known as the death wobble. If a slight bump is hit in the road, the vehicle shakes back and forth violently and does not stop until the consumer slows down.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 102010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph over bumpy road surfaces, the vehicle would shake violently. In order to stop the shaking, the vehicle would be slowed down to 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the vehicle needed new ball joints. The contact replaced the balls joints, but the failure continued. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who stated that the vehicle needed a new tie rod, steering dampener, pitman arm, front axle U-joint, and wheel alignment. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 86,000. Sm.

- Minorsville, PA, USA

Jul 162011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500. While the vehicle was parked the contact noticed the drivers side tie rod end was broken. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technicians stated the drivers side tie rod end needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Cantonment , FL, USA

Apr 142011

Ram 2500

2007 Dodge Ram passenger side tie rod end dropped out while driving approx 45 mph on back road. Lost all steering function, as left side is attached to right side. Narrowly avoided collision with several trees and a small bridge. Truck finally stopped in oncoming ditch. Tie rods had been replaced by dealer under warranty approx 30K miles prior. Truck drove normal until this point, but tie rods had started showing wear previously, but not serious enough to cause any alarm. Dealership was unwilling to replace tie rods under warranty for the third time, as it was the last week of said warranty. Replaced parts with heavy duty aftermarket parts at my own expense. Dealership had inspected truck on a previous trip and said truck had "updated" steering linkages and components.

- Seminole, OK, USA

Feb 012011

Ram 2500

When traveling down the road and come across a bump, lift, or dip in the road the truck will violently shake. I took a road trip to Florida recently and I experienced the death wobble at 90 mph, it made me cross into the next lane then into the median. Talking about scary!I have researched this on the internet a lot and it appears the be called the "death wobble". I am very concerned with the fact that Dodge has not issued a recall for this. Why? plenty of people have the problem! its obviously a flaw in the Dodge design not being able to support the weight of the cummins diesel. I have looked into getting this 08 steering upgrade but the dealer wants $975 to fix it and can not guarantee that it will fix it.

- Franklinton, LA, USA

Feb 162011

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500. The contact was driving 5 mph when the pitman arms on the front axle fractured. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic who informed her that the entire front end would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted in regards to the failure. The failure mileage was 133,919.

- Evans, CO, USA

Feb 192011

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

1. my trucks has had the famous Dodge "death wobble" where when you hit a bump the tires start shaking out of control and you have to stop the truck to make it quit. 2. driving down the interstate and hot a bump and its started to "death wobble" and snapped the tie rod end to the pit men arm at the tierod end sleeve which cause loss or all steering luckily I made it off in the ditch with out killing any one, had my little 14 year old brother with me 3. upgraded tierod ends, steering dampener and steering linkage(because Chrysler knows this is a problem) its a very common problem its all over forums, yes there is a recall on tie rod ends where the joint breaks this 1 the rod part still a common problem and I took my truck to see about the recall and they said mine was ok 3 days later this even happened lucky no 1 has died. The dealer ship kept the old parts but I do have pictures.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Jan 272011

Ram 2500

Severe wobble/shaking of front end at speeds between 50mph to 70mph, after hitting normal bumps along the highways. My truck has 55000 miles in it. Apparently it is happening to alot of Dodge 2500 diesel owners, however, Dodge is not backing up their products and says that the owners are responsible for a factory defect. I am scared to put my wife and kids in my truck for fear of something breaking in the front end and crashing. I have checked the ball joints, bearings, bushings etc and have not seen anything wrong to indicate why this is happening. Hopefully with enough complaints Dodge will issue a safety recall and fix this problem before it costs someone their life.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Nov 112010

Ram 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 that has 65,000 miles on it with 4 wheel drive and a 5.7L gas engine. I was traveling home on interstate 5 N/B a few miles North of lost hills ca about 2130 hrs. I set my cruise control for 78 mph and a few minutes later hit a minor bump in the road. My vehicle began to shake violently and I braked but the wobble did not cease until I was going about 25 mph. I pulled to the shoulder and inspected the tires, wheels, steering components and suspension components. There was nothing visibly wrong so I resumed my trip and reactivated my cruise control. A few moments later my vehicle again shook violently. I limped home at much slower speeds with no more problems. The dealer inspected my truck and I pointed out to them a tsb that covered the situation. The dealer discovered.030 inch play in a tie rod end. My extended warranty is through vehicle one and they sent an inspector to the dealership who declined the repair since the tsb issued by Dodge allows for a maximum allowable movement of.045 inch. During the second incident I was not able to safely steer my truck and ended up halfway into the adjoining lane before I was able to regain control of the vehicle. This would have caused an accident if there had been a vehicle next to me. I am now stuck driving this vehicle or paying nearly $2000 to repair it myself. Dodge has replaced the original unsafe steering linkage with a newly designed one that is not supposed to be subject to this unsafe condition. The real issue here is that Dodge tsb for this problem is too restrictive and will allow my extended warranty not to cover the repair. If the tsb required the components to be replaced any time the condition is present then my warranty would cover the repair. This problem is referred to on the internet as the "Ram death wobble". please help this condition is widespread and dangerous.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Dec 042010

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

2007 Dodge 2500 steering wobble over 55 mph death wobble/ Dodge needs to address multiple issues online for same thing happening to other ppl and is a safety hazard since I am in the automotive industry also.

- Pilot Mtn, NC, USA

Jan 092008

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

Hi I have 2007 Dodge 2500 diesel and I have the death wobble called Dodge and they told me that the warranty is over so I have to pay to get steering box fixed I have be fighting for two years got front end fix last year in alberta and still have death wobble.

- Fenwick, 00, USA

Nov 232010

Ram 2500

Two of our 2007 pick trucks center link terminal has pop out with out any warning or signs of wear. One of the pick up was backing up when right hand wheel steering terminal pop out of the center link and that wheel steer all the way right. In the second pick up happened exactly the same situation but this time while driving, right wheel turn completely left and the center link bar puncture the tire. No one was injure in either incidents. Have picture and parts of second incident for you to inspect.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Nov 212010

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

I have experienced the infamous "Dodge death wobble" numerous times in the past 3 months. I have a 2007 2500 Dodge Ram truck that I bought used a year ago. Three months ago, driving on the interstate going about 65 mph I came upon a bridge approach slab and once I hit it the truck began violently shaking. Afterwards I did research on the issue and discovered what I experienced matched what is known as the "Dodge death wobble". I contacted my dealer and they said Dodge has issued a repair bulletin for this issue however also said that they do not believe the repairs Dodge recommends fixes the problem. (the research I have done also supports that comment). On November 21 while traveling for thanksgiving I experienced the "death wobble" five times within an hour. I was traveling along interstate 10 at 65-75 mph and every bump, bridge approach slab, or pot hole that was hit would initiate this horrific shaking of the truck. I was in fear of mine and my passengers lives and in fear of damaging other components of the truck. I slowed down to 45-55mph and even slower when crossing road impairments stated above; this seemed to prevent the shaking. Since, I have contacted my Dodge dealer, the local dealer of where I'm spending the holiday, and Chrysler's customer service. The two dealers again told me about Dodge's bulletin however both said they do not believe replacing the tire rod ends and control arms will fix the problem. Chrysler took two days to get a hold of a live person and then a customer service phone rep said that a case manager would contact me within 24 hours. However because of the holiday this puts them not contacting me before 8pm Friday. I am traveling home Sunday and fear further damaging the vehicle and putting my life in danger if I continue to drive the truck with this defect not being addressed and fixed immediately!

- Marana, AZ, USA

Jun 182010

Ram 2500

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500. While driving 45 mph the steering wheel was shaking and there was also a loud popping noise. During low speeds there was also erratic gears down shifting. The vehicle had to be driven onto the emergency lane in order to reset itself. The dealer and the manufacturer were not notified. The failure mileage was 50,000. The current mileage was 67,000.

- Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 2500 4WD 6-cyl

(2007 Dodge 2500 6.7L cummins) (50,000 miles) at any speed in excess of 50mph a severe and violent shake is experienced when a bump/pothole/break in pavement is struck. This causes lose of control and does not correct until vehicle speed falls below 40 mph. I have owned vehicle only a month and have spent in excess of $1300. All tie rods, steering components have been replaced. Tires, ball joints were inspected. Vehicle has be aligned multiple times and problem remains. Truck is currently at dealership 3rd time for same complaint. Very thankful that I nor anyone else have been injured or killed. There are thousands of same complaints everywhere. What else can be replaced...?

- Lawrenceville, VA, USA

Jul 182010

Ram 2500

I had me and my kids in my truck and had a bad wobble in the front end of my truck we almost lost control of the vehicle. This is the third time its happened if you hit a bump it will mack your vehicle shake out of control. I had multiple new parts on the front end replaced and it still does it. I'm afraid to drive my truck for any distances because of the problem. When it happens you don't know if your going to go in the ditch or into on coming traffic before you can slow down to get to the side of the road. I've herd this called the death wobble and on the internet search hundreds of people are having the same problem.

- Ferron, UT, USA