1. replace the idle pulley with a new one (1 reports)
1998 Ford Contour engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Contour:

1998 Ford Contour Owner Comments

Jan 202009

Contour 4 cyl

Bottom idler pulley bearings blew up like a Mexican pinata. Throwing off the timing belt. It happened on the street I live on so I was going very slow so no valves were ruined when it happened. I ordered the repair tools, the pulley and a new timing belt about 120 USD. The job was a nightmare because there are no marks to line up. And since the original belt was no longer in the proper position when the bearing blew out, I couldn't mark it myself. I followed repair manual exactly, and still after hours of work and money invested, the car's check engine light is on and it runs horrible. The car misfires continuously and at high rpm backfires. Either the belt is off by a tooth now, or the engine was slightly damaged from the original blown bearing. The car is drivable but either way I plan on junking or donating the car to recover the costs of the repair. I would not recommend this car.

- , Levittown, NY, USA