2.0

1998 Ford Escort brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Escort:

1998 Ford Escort Owner Comments

Mar 012008

Escort SE

I don't know if there's an actual problem, or if the light is just coming on randomly. I first noticed it several months ago, shortly after I got my brakes redone on all four wheels. The ABS light came on when I started up the car, and remained on for as long as the engine was running. But if I turned the car off for any reason and restarted it, the light wouldn't come on again. It would do this about once a month, for a day or two. It seems to be turning on more frequently now, but it's still not lit all the time. Is this a fluid thing? Is there an actual brake problem? I hear squealing from time to time from my front brakes when stopping, but I don't know if that's related.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA