6.0

1998 Ford Escort transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Escort:

1998 Ford Escort Owner Comments

Jun 012009

Escort EX 2000

Like another user said, the transmission jerks every now and then for no apparent reason. It usually does it between 35-55 mph while maintaining speed (not accelerating). It has been 6-8 months like this but it hasn't gotten worse than annoying. I hope it doesn't mean I'll be stranded somewhere.

Update from May 11, 2010: The problem was the spark to one of the cylinders was taking a detour on the way to the plug. I had originally dismissed this possibility because I didn't hear any miss from the engine. Changed the plugs and wires and all has been well. I'm on the 3rd day since without a single jerk.

- , Winder, GA, USA

Sep 122007

Escort GL

ok first off i got in a car accident and used my money to buy this red piece of sh*t car. when i bought it the bearings were bad. the radio face plate falls out while driving down the road, the interior light falls down if you go over a bump, the oil seal broke, timing belt broke about 4 times, and OVER PRICED. I still owe on the car and the deal doesn't want it back i was going to have it towed back to them but they won't take it. i was going to trade it in but all the dealers won't accept my car as a trade in because they don't want the problem of the car on thier hands. my car doesn't shift out of 2nd and 1st gear you get a whip lash and not to mention all the wires on my car are all hanging i don't know how my car runs. oh, and it has no fan. so for 3g this car is not worth if. i had a 1990 ford escort with no floor board and it ran better then this car and i bought it from a old lady for $50 and drove it 300,000 miles from mich to sc numerous trips never broke down on me. just for some reason would not run in charleston. p/s go with the escort...beware of the contour. oh the style is a GL does the name stand for GOOD LUCK???

- , Conway, SC, USA

Jul 152002

Escort ZX2

The car will jolt/jerk sporadically & rev like it is in neutral. This car has been nothing but a pain since I bought it and it was rear-ended before I made the first payment. I was told 2 days before my warranty ran out that nothing was wrong with it but yet it keeps doing this at least 1-2 times per week. I have been told to do everything from changing the transmission fluid to rebuilding the transmission. I would just like a straight answer so I know whether to cut my losses and move on.

- , Saint Louis, MO, USA