2000 Ford Excursion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Excursion:

2000 Ford Excursion Owner Comments

Apr 062010

Excursion XLT 5.4L V8

Prior to starting up a hill, I heard a slight ticking or knocking noise. The noise was so slight, I thought it may be loose change rattling, I was not sure if it was the engine or not. As I only had 4 miles to go until I arrived home, I pressed on and start up a 2 1/2 mile hill, where the grade was approximately 4%, not overwhelmingly steep.

All the way up the hill, the vehicle seemed fine, without any noticeable differences in power or handling. Just as I reached the crest of the hill, I heard the ticking sound momentarily, where without warning, the engine stalled. There was a hairpin turn at the top of the crest, where I had to muscle the vehicle around the corner; had my wife been driving, she would not have been able to muscle the car around the curve.

While rolling downhill, I placed the gear select in "N", neutral, where I tried to start the car again by turning the ignition. Unable to start the vehicle, I parked on a shoulder and subsequently had the car towed to my home.

At home, I charged up the battery and tried to start the vehicle again. The vehicle started but was running very rough, with a loud knocking noise. I shut the vehicle down. The knocking was so loud, I thought that there may be major damage to the engine. I jacked up the vehicle and changed the oil and oil filter. I did not see any metal shavings or particles in the engine oil.

Once again, I started the vehicle again. It barely wanted to turn over, but finally started with a rough idle and knocking noise. But after only a couple seconds, the engine smoothed out. It still was running a little rough, but not as bad as before, now there was only a slight tick and intermittent miss. After about 10 minutes of running time, I brought the RPM up to about 3200 RPM, the engine seemed alright, until it start knocking again. The knocking is very loud and is more than a sticking lifter. There is NO oil or smoke coming from the engine or tail pipe. The vehicle is very hard to start and it sounds like a "scraping" noise as the engine turns over prior to start.

I know this may be a catastrophic engine problem, but I am going to try and replace the camshaft position sensor(cps). If it is not the cps, then I will either need to find a replacement engine or I will most likely start looking for a late model Ford diesel pick-up; it may not be worth it to rebuild or replace the engine in this Excursion, what a shame as the body is in near perfect condition, no dents, dings or scratches.

I would appreciate it if anybody may have some input regarding my engine problem.

Thank you!

- , Leona Valley, CA, USA

Jul 052007

Excursion LTD 7.3L Diesel

Stalls while driving, and may or may not start back up. Every time our Excursion goes to Texan/Champion Ford (Houston) the repair is MAJOR. I always find the identical issue listed as a recall, as well as NHTSA has a file with recall information. However, due to the limited amount of drivers with the specific vehicle, who also use to potential of equipment, this particular model is not included. Though the recall is not specific with year, model or exact model.

- , Katy, TX, USA