2.2

2004 Ford F-550 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford F-550:

2004 Ford F-550 Owner Comments

Oct 162010

F-550 4WD 8-cyl

While driving my 2004 F150 and approaching a red light or turn my truck will intermittently shut off and need to be restarted. On several occasions I have had to put both hands on the wheel and crank (no power steering) or both feet on the brakes (no power brakes) because the truck turned off and I lost all power functions. It wouldn't have been as big of a deal if the dealer in my area hadn't told me this was "normal" for F150S and sent me on my way. Since that dealer I have dealt with 2 others in my area who say its normal and to just drive my truck until it fixes itself. I wasn't aware that Ford made self diagnosing/fixing vehicles. In either case I am extremely upset that this problem is for some reason not considered a problem and that there is no current fix for this issue. I no longer feel safe in my truck and have resorted to driving my parents vehicles until I can rid myself of this death trap. On another note I have also had the vehicle flash dash board lights at me after going over small bumps and then shutting off 1/4 of a mile later. When this problem was brought up the dealer said it was impossible (it's happened twice) and that I had to be imagining it.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 242009

F-550

Discovered my F550 superduty 6.0 diesel at 94000 miles with 8 months over its warranty had an exhaust leak coming from both sides of its 6.0 liter diesel engine exhaust manifolds. These fumes were coming into the passenger compartment at idle. At the same mileage, dealer discovered that engine had oil in coolant and that its entire passenger side injectors were malfunctioning along with the fuel pump and its regulator. Excessive fuel in engine, running very lean could cause engine to cease while driving. Dealer advised that oil in coolant is common for these engines and that this causes a other malfunctions such as head gaskets to go. The exhaust manifolds were repaired at approx. $1172. The other engine work was not repaired as of yet due to it costing approx. $4240. The head gasket work would cost another $6000. Ford said it would not cover the repairs because I was the second owner. BBB complaint filed and in search for class action law suit to cover repairs only.

- New Freedom, PA, USA

Aug 172004

F-550

While driving, the vehicle stalled. The consumer had the vehicle towed.

- Columbia, NJ, USA