2.8

2011 Ford Flex drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Flex:

2011 Ford Flex Owner Comments

Apr 102015

Flex

10/15 eaps failure can't steer car no fix several repeat problems 4/15 cold air when using heater on passenger side fixed but since then water on passenger side when using air conditioning several service calls no fix 4/15 oilk leak for AWD system several tries then service finallyt replaced complete AWD unit

- Tiffin, OH, USA

Sep 212012

Flex

It has happened since 2012 Sept, when I bought it at 4000km. I was about to start from a traffic light. I let go my brake and 'slightly' onto gas. "nothing at all happened." I push a bit harder and it crank into another gear as I felt like 'galloping'. I brought it to the body shop I knew (8 pm) and was told to go to dealers for transmittion check up. Did so, in 3 days - 'no code' no problem. It happened in November 2012; trying to catch up with traffic on 401 highway - March 2013, moving slowly in scity street - June and Oct 2013; from stop - April 2014, June 2015 and about to stop before traffice light - May 2016. I brought it into 2 different delears, 3 private bodyshops. Dealers found nothing - 'no code'; private body shop - water/ air trapped in gas/ fuel line; bad transmission etc. Contacted Ford customer sevices - told to contact local delears, record on file. No solution still. This is Ford!!!! once get the chance - go anything other than Ford!!

- Ottawa, Ontario Canada K1g2w2, NY, USA

Jul 242014

Flex

Power take off assembly failure - at ~59K miles into my 75K mile extended warranty I took my vehicle in to service because of an oil burning smell after highway driving. About a month or so later I returned to advise of the same smell. The seal was removed and replaced. Subsequent highway travel yielded additional burning oil odors that I've returned to the dealer for diagnosis but the cause was not identified until the last visit on 7/24/14 @ 58,195 mi. On 10/9/14@ 59,472 mi. On 04/22/15 @ 72,712 mi. On 11/23/15 @84,974 mi. References- jonathanlackman.com/blog/Ford-edge-pdu-pto-transfer-case-issues-Flex-500-mkx/ www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?T=375439&page=13 www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10914-ptu-leak-failures/page-11 at 84,974 the obvious fluid leak was identified as pto fluid as a result of the pto overheating. Now that my extended warranty has expired Ford refuses to warranty repair coverage even though the problem has persisted since before the warranty expired but not identified by the Ford mechanics. There are multiple instances of failure with this part on Ford AWD vehicle my complaint is that Ford is aware of the failure and the issue was not addressed with my vehicle before my warranty expired and now I have to pay $1600 for the repair when servicing the complaint could have prevente D the failure and need for replacement. Ford has not proactively done anything to prevent failure and high out of pocket expenses to me or other customers. There is no recommended service other than replacement of the failed unit. There is a problem with the earlier units and Ford should recommend service intervals to avoid failure and replacement of already failed units at their expenses since they advised of no service required

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Nov 272015

Flex

After several visits to the dealer, beginning at 52K in April 2014 complaining of a burning oil smell after highway driving, the dealer diagnosed the problem to be a failed ptu/pto and needing replacement for $1800 after I exceeded 75K miles. I advised Ford that I returned my vehicle several times before my 75K extended warranty expired. They apparently never checked the ptu. The are several reports of of failed ptus on tarurus's, flexes, edges, mkt's sharing this same unit which Ford says is only replaced and requires no maintenance. Googling ptu failure returns multiple posts and responses. Fordflex.net, fordedgeforum.com www.blueovalforums.com explorerforum.com there design and repairs should be honored for customers identifying symptoms of the problem while under warranty and systems should be incorporated in a maintenance schedule. My claim with Ford was rejected and my service visit documents were not considered.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Dec 022015

Flex

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Flex. The contact stated that the transmission failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. No further details were available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- San Jaciento, CA, USA

Sep 232015

Flex

While accelerating from a stop with the ecoboost system, the car will almost stall, then speed up with out your foot on the pedal. It blows black smoke and then it will be fine. This has happened on and off for the past several months, the car had an extended warranty in which this showed up. While this was going on I have had to replace the power transfer unit because it locked up, then the car would only work in front wheel drive, have had nothing but trouble since the car radiator fan system burned up and they replaced. They have re-flashed modules after they could not figure out what was happening, however it still does it. I am worried as the car has speed up to 2000 RPM while driving and stayed there with out the gas pedal being pressed.

- Osceola, IN, USA

May 282015

Flex

Both front axle half shafts worn, dealer repaired.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Sep 102012

Flex 6-cyl

From a stop, transmission slipped, banged into 1st (or 2nd gear), did it again around 50 mph, felt like the tranny slipped and then banged into gear. The banging into gear is a violent lurch. Took it to Ford told nothing wrong with vehicle (even though I had prior tsb's on same tranny issues in 01/2011 build cars). Started in 2012, was intermittent until recently and has happened several times over past month.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Jul 192011

Flex 6-cyl

Lunging and stalling at start up and when accelerating at highway speeds.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Aug 012012

Flex 6-cyl

Transmission on Flex often hesitates and thunks with a lurch. The lurch is so bad it now feels like we are being hit. It has happened in both forward and reverse. Tried to get it repaired twice at dealer - haven't been able to fix. Online forums with owners and service bulletins describe similar problem. Ford not acknowledging issue or helping.

- Greenlawn, NY, USA