2014 Ford Focus Electric engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus Electric:

2014 Ford Focus Electric Owner Comments

Dec 012014

Focus Electric

Brand new 2014 Ford Focus electric - less than 200 miles on odometer. Driving on 35mph road during evening rush hour the car suddenly flashed a "stop safely now" warning on the dash. As I looked for a place to pull over the car shut down completely (dash gauges went dark...estimated less than 10 seconds after warning message). Fortunately I was able to coast into a parking lot because I was at speed but I lost power steering. Headlights flickering, relays clicking, etc. I called Ford roadside assistance for a tow. Had this happened at a faster speed on a highway, I or other drivers could have been killed or severely injured. Ford supposedly corrected this defected in earlier models years. At this point I do not feel safe driving the vehicle until I have positive confirmation the problem has been identified and corrected. Ford is going to kill someone if they don't get this corrected! at there are a string of complaints from Ford Focus electric owners on this dangerous defect. Updated 1/21/2016

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Dec 022014

Focus Electric

During driving in the rain and the car had the "stop safely" light come on and it stalled in the middle of the road. I had my kids with me and traffic behind me when this happened. This happened twice in a matter of couple of hours. It again happened on December 3, as I braked at a red light.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Nov 022014

Focus Electric

On 4 separate occasions with 48 hours the "stop safely now" warning appeared on the dash accompanied with a total loss of power and/or the engine shutting off while the vehicle was in motion. These occurred in distinctly different scenarios: While accelerating from a stop, while braking, and two occurrences while traveling at 45 mph and 35 mph. The brakes and steering thankfully still worked however accidents almost occurred in the two higher speed scenarios. The vehicle could be restarted after it was turned off and on again. The warning would disappear with no further information.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 142014

Focus Electric

3 miles after leaving the parking lot with my mom and 2 kids in the car the "stop safely now" warning flashed and the car lost power. I found similar complaint 10512459. I had to pull over in the bike lane, turn off the car and restart it until power war restored. Same thing happened next day right after leaving home. Now I am afraid to go out on the highway or on narrow country roads with this car.

- San Diego, CA, USA