2014 Ford Focus Electric steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus Electric:

2014 Ford Focus Electric Owner Comments

Jul 152016

Focus Electric

I did the update to the tcm but did not fix nothing my trans still messes up and around same time it started steering is getting stuck may be stearing pump Ford will not help at all iv only owned car for a year soon as I got to 60000 miles it stared hesitate jerking I did update like it said 2 do it worked for like a hour then same problems but it got worse it's unsafe to drive and Ford wants alot of money just to check it out again then I can barrely controle my car with the stearing wheel getting stuck and no 1 can figure out what's wrong

- Taylof, MI, USA

Apr 142015

Focus Electric

This model has a "sticky" steering wheel that will not always return to the neutral position with out driver assistance and needs to be constantly adjusted to keep the vehicle driving in a straight line. You can actually let go of the steering wheel while going around a gradual curve in the road and the car will follow the curve the whole way without breaking its arch. It also suffers from dangerous "torque steering" which causes the vehicle steering to lose control when you accelerate aggressively. In addition, the electric steering reacts poorly with the regenerative breaking. If you need to break hard, the steering will swerve dangerously and inhibit driver control. I've approached Ford about this and taken to the dealer several times and they say that's just the way the car is. I've talked to other owners of this type of car and not all but a good portion have had similar problems. One man even said he's afraid to drive the car 1. for safety, but 2. because it looks like you're driving drunk because you have to constantly adjust the steering just to keep the car in line - looks like you're swerving. Lastly, the mileage they say you can get from a charge isn't accurate and their app doesn't work in all locations. Neither of which they disclosed before I leased this car. Please check into this as Ford doesn't care. I'm happy to assist your investigation in any way. Thanks!

- Manhattan Beach , CA, USA

Dec 022014

Focus Electric

During driving in the rain and the car had the "stop safely" light come on and it stalled in the middle of the road. I had my kids with me and traffic behind me when this happened. This happened twice in a matter of couple of hours. It again happened on December 3, as I braked at a red light.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA