2005 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 13 of 29)

Aug 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

We have experienced multiple instances of this problem happening recently. What happens is at very low speeds or idle speeds, our 2005 Ford Freestyle limited has started lurching or lunging either when backing up, out of the garage, for example, or out of a driveway or into/out of a parking place. It doesn't happen at driving speeds or highway speeds, but only occurs at low speeds. I have read about this problem on the internet and other Freestyle owners say it is a throttle body problem. I luckily have been paying attention when it happens and have been able to stand on the brake, which cuts down the lunging feeling. This shouldn't be happening in the first place. If someone is caught off guard and they back into a car because of a lunge by their car, no insurance company will just believe that "the car did it." If someone is pulling into a parking spot and hits the car opposite of theirs, due to this lunge, it will not be pretty. Thank you for your time.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Aug 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2005 Ford Freestyle has developed a significant surge when maneuvering at low speeds like in a parking lot or driveway. If the driver is not very quick to respond to this surge the driver would easily lose control. Since, parking lots and driveways often have people (especially children) around it is a very bad situation not to have total control of a car. It seems to occur when the A/C is running and the car is at normal or high operating temperatures (not when the engine is cold). I searched the internet related to this issue and it seems there are many who are experiencing this condition and there does not seem to be a straight forward answer as to the cause. I would not normally write a complaint but when I saw that the NHTSA is investigating this issue, I called a local dealership to see if Ford had any notices or bulletins that might identify the cause. I described the condition and explained that NHTSA was investigating this issue but was told that they had never heard of it. I then asked if they could search for notices or bulletins and get back to me, I was told that they would not do that unless I first brought the car in to their service center. I tried to explain the safety significance of this issue and that since he had never heard of this problem that it would make more sense to search for any information Ford had on the issue before I brought it in and charged for service that may not be of any help. The service rep then said he would not help me and then basically hung up on me. The answer to this issue may be something very simple (like cleaning the throttle body) but the vehicle's computer controlled response is very real and very dangerous and Ford should be working much harder to resolve this.

- Central, SC, USA

Aug 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle surged forward after very lightly touching the brake while parking. I was maneuvering the car into a fairly tight parking space, and the sudden surge cause the car to lunch into a fence post, damaging the front bumper and fender (and the fence post). This is the 3rd or 4th occurrence, but was the most violent. The car lunged forward about 6-8 feet, and the idle jumped up from 750 to 2,500 or so. The other surging instances also occurred immediately after applying light pressure on the brakes. Immediately after the surges in those instances, the idle then dropped to normal. The car has approximately 100K miles on it, and the throttle body has been cleaned on a regular basis sine 20K, typically every 20K. The first surge was noticed at around 98K. It happens approximately once a week now.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 102010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward abnormally with an abnormal increase in engine rpms. The dealer was contacted and advised that there were no recalls for the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 85,000.

- Coniser, CO, USA

Aug 092011

Freestyle

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle for 1yr 1/2 now it has 45,000 miles on it, I almost twice lost my family and my life but thank god and the quick reflex of my husband we are alive, all due to the throttle, I cant describe it how I wish well I would need a whole page to explain we have taken very good care of it we are right now without a vehicle it cost too much and we have no warranty, so we will have to manage for now until we can, although my husband is in the military we are not rich and I work 6 days a week and have 3 children students whom all have after school sports activities, I am in total shock I really thought we had it made with this car its comfortable 3rd row but now after reading all the reviews we are so horribly upset and feel so taken of ***, this probably has no affect on whose responsability this problem falls on well im sure they have a superb car, but for the american families trying to make it, it is a shame that Ford knowing about this hasnt taken no action, but to each his own and although it seems minor to the high power corporates like Ford whoever needs to own up to this problem and hasnt and just seems to pass the hot potato to others they too will have their judgemet day, and yes I might sound drastic to you it is a very serious matter to us the people who trusted in purchasing a Ford, thank you.

- Fort Bragg, NC, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

Our 2005 Ford Freestyle sel, fwd is having sudden surges of acceleration (forward and reverse) at low speeds. This has now happened several times and is getting more frequent. This presents a safety issue as the surge has the potential to cause the car to run into someone or something, or to unexpectedly enter an intersection. The car has 87000 miles as of August, 2011. We are the original owners.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Apr 182009

Freestyle

I bought my 2005 Ford Freestyle over four years ago. After the first year the air conditioning stopped cooling as well as before and at the same time the vehicle started lurching forward when going at a slow speed when the air conditioning had be running for a short while. It is worse when you are turning the wheel and going slow such as in a drive-thru and or backing out or pulling into a parking lot. I have to keep one foot on the brake and most of the time I do not need to touch the gas pedal because its already accelerating on its own. My car now either puts it self in fail safe mode and runs real slow and or it just dies where ever we are when it starts the accelerating and lurching forward. I do not have the $900 I have heard it take to fix this problem by replacing the throttle body. Maybe when its paid off in 7 months I can save the money up to get it fixed. I'm not sure the car will last that long. I can't trade it in for another car because I would worry who would get it next and maybe be in an accident and be hurt.

- Ashland, KY, USA

Jul 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car would surge backwards when put in reverse sometimes. When driving the car would have troubles going up hills where the car would not maintain speed when the accelerator is pressed down to compensate for speed. I have seen many complaints for the same issue. Have 149K miles.

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Aug 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My vehicle surges from time to time and when the air condition is on the car will cut of and go into fail safe mode I've cleaned the throttle body and the problem still occurs.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 052011

Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle will accelerate and usually stall. The car hit the garage hitting a person and breaking the side mirror.

- Il, IL, USA

Jul 222011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while entering a parking space with the brakes slightly depressed, the vehicle lunged forward and stalled. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times and the failed safe mode message illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to a local repair shop where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The technician then replaced the fuel and air filters as a temporary fix. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 62,000.

- Holland , PA, USA

Aug 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk forward or in reverse when braking to a stop, with the illumination of the fail safe mode warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that they did not recognize the failure code and offered no assistance. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,432.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 052011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 45 mph, the contact approached a traffic stop signal and upon engaging the brakes, the vehicle began to surge forward. The engine was turned off and restarted with an illumination of the wrench warning symbol. The warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The failure progressed and also occurred when shifting the gear selector into drive or reverse position. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lurches forward when car is in drive, but my foot is on the brake. It has happened several times, and sometimes goes into "emergency shutdown" mode and turns off. This happens most frequently when it is hot outside or I've been driving the car for a while.

- Humble, TX, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Ford Freestyle. I often experience a surge in my vehicles acceleration even when I have not touched the gas pedal. This occurs most often with the air conditioning off and just after I put the car in drive. Today I nearly ran over a pedestrian after shifting my car into gear, and so I googled the problem when I got home. I see that you are investigating this problem with the Freestyle. Please demand a recall before someone gets hurt.

- Old Lyme, CT, USA

May 072011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2005 Ford Freestyle took off in reverse at high speed as soon as I put it in reverse, my foot was not on the gas pedal. I almost hit a large tree.

- Saint George, GA, USA

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would surge forward while in drive or backward while in reverse, when the air conditioner was on and the brakes were depressed. The dealer was not notified. The manufacturer denied any assistance with repair to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 110,000.

- New Paris, PA, USA

Mar 082011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped at a stop light with the brakes engaged, the vehicle would suddenly lunge forward. The vehicle was inspected by an authorized dealer, who stated the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 65,000.

- Newport Richie, FL, USA

Jul 202011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 2 mph, the engine revved and the vehicle lunged forward. The contact also stated that the failure occurred a second time while reversing out of a parking space. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 61,000 and current mileage was 61,900.

- Cazenovia, NY, USA

Jul 282011

Freestyle

With the car in drive and my foot on the brake pedal, the car unexpectedly "surged" forward. I was able to control the car from hitting anyone/anything by applying the brake more forcefully, but this incident has occurred on repeated occasions now both in "drive" (when the car surges forward) and in "reverse" (when the car surges backwards). It seems particularly pronounced during hot days when the ac is running full blast. In each incident, I was traveling 5 mph or less, and had my foot on the brake, either preparing to park or pulling out of a parking spot. So far it has not caused an accident, but there is clearly something wrong with the speed control or the transmission. I have noticed numerous other complaints of a similar nature made online by other owners of 2005 and 2006 Ford Freestyles. There clearly seems to be a problem with the vehicle of this year, make and model and I am hoping Ford will take responsibility and issue a recall in order to prevent future potential injury or death.

- Abilene, TX, USA