2006 Ford Freestyle body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments

Aug 242016

Anytime it rains my vehicle fills with water. I have mold starting in my vehicle. I took it to Ford dealership for recall work but it still leaks horrible bad. This car is mostly stationary. We have had rain the last two days and it has been sitting in the drive way. I checked it today and it is full of water. This has happened since I purchased the vehicle in 2013

- Carlsbad, NM, USA

Feb 152008

Bought new, prior to delivery of vehicle dealer first fixed a recall for door lock that jammed during cold weather freezing causing rear door latch not to catch. Problem occurred the following winter of 2008 when dropping off child to school, door would not close and flew open as I was driving away, nearly swinging into path of child. Pulled car off main road to try and close door with several hard slams but latch would not catch door. Called Ford recall corporate center who checked their records and confirmed the dealer marked the recall as fixed already. I explained to the Ford recall department that regardless of whether the dealer actually fixed the problem, it is still occurring and was a very dangerous hazard during winter months when door could swing open and hit adjacent cars, pedestrians, light poles and trees along urban local roads where sidewalks and poles are typically near the curb. I was told there was nothing they could do further since the vehicle was already 'fixed' under the recall notice. I looked into what the 'fix' was and it was simply having the service technician drill a hole in the door frame to allow condensation to drain instead of freezing near the latch mechanism. I am an engineer by profession, and in my review of this remedial measure, it became apparent that the drill bit size being provided to the dealerships for this fix was not a large enough diameter to ensure proper drainage and as a result, the condensation would simply freeze across the full diameter of the drilled hole intended for drainage. Problem continues to occur during cold weather months each year and I heard that Ford is under investigation again for similar problem on some newer models

- Haddonfield, NJ, USA

Sep 032015

I was backing out of angle parking space. As I backed I bumped concrete pole. As I put car in drive to go forward the accelerator stuck wide open. I had no control of speed. I sped forward approximately 20 feet and crashed into the back of a parked pick-up. Police were called. I was only bruised and sore. I did see a dr. And will continue to do follow up. My insurance co. Totaled the car. It was very damaged on the driver side. Someone could of been killed in this accident. My description does not adequately describe the seriousness of this incident. Police and others could not believe I was not severely hurt. If theses cars are not recalled it is only a matter of time until someone dies if they have not already.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

May 122013

We were at a stand still in traffic leading to the off ramp, a vehicle came speeding down the on ramp and by his own admission was not paying attention. He then rammed into the back of our vehicle and hit us so hard that it triggered a multi car crash, 6 vehicles in all. During repairs of the vehicle we were told that the engine was experiencing idle surge. It was also noted that this was not due to the vehicle accident. We paid out of pocket some $1,700 and we continue to have the same issues. The Ford dealership has not and will not correct the problem. Ford is responsible for this repair and I would like to see some action taken on their part. I called Ford corporate office and was told despite my vehicle being included in the 2005-2007 recall my particular VIN number is not included in that lot. Not good customer service.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 082013

Freestyle 6-cyl

During very cold days the doors won't latch shut, and have even popped open during travels... so far have had issues with both rear doors and front passenger door....

- Ludington , MI, USA

Mar 062012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that an abnormal mildew smell was emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician inspected the vehicle and advised the contact to have the vehicle detailed. The contact decided to take the vehicle to an independent mechanic, who determined that the door striker was leaking and causing water to enter the vehicle. As a result, the floorboard was damp. The technician replaced the door striker, the floorboard carpet and the spare tire cover. The remedy failed to correct the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a third time. The technician diagnosed that the sun roof draining lines were defective, causing the rear of the vehicle to flood when on an incline. The technician replaced the sun roof assembly and the rear drainage lines. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Apr 132012

My daughter had a wreck, she rear-ended a truck who ran into another vehicle. The airbag on my vehicle did not deploy although the seatbelt did lock up. There had been no warning light stating that there was anything wrong with the airbag. I have written to Ford about this malfunction but they just say there is no recall on the airbags. I told them that unfortunately no one will know if there is a problem until they have an accident. I feel this is a very unsafe part and needs investigation.

- Onalaska, TX, USA

Jun 122012

Freestyle 6-cyl

On multiple occasions the vehicle has lurched forward or backward without having my foot on the accelerator. Applying the brake has stopped the car. The rear bumper was damaged when it hit a light pole. It seems to happen more frequently when it's warmer outside and when running the air conditioning. I'm very concerne someone might get injured. My wife has also had this happen to her on multiple occasion. I've read a number of similar complaints on the internet. I believe this vehicle should be recalled. I'm a mechanical engineer by degree and can state with certainty that this is a dangerous condition especially in a parking lot where it most frequently happens. I won't even attempt to backup the vehicle if someone is nearby in case it has one of these fits. Please keep me posted on any recall updates. Do the right thing, force the manufacturer to own up to the problem and take care of it. I took it in to have it fixed, but nobody seems to know or is willing to say what's wrong. They just offer to change out a lot of parts in the hopes of hitting upon the problem. That's too expensive of an approach. Does Ford know the source of the problem" will they share that information with their dealerships or the consumers"

- South Jordan, UT, USA

May 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Not sure on date when incident occurred, but the vehicle would start lunging even while brake pedal was engaged. Problem worsened over a short period of time to where it would cut off multiple times. Also problem would get worse while air condition was on. One day pulling into a parking spot one day the vehicle lunged forward causing me to hit a parking block. Damage was done to the front bumper only. Eventually it got to where we were unable to drive the vehicle. Has been parked for several months. Will crank up for a couple seconds and will cut off.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Jan 112011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the exterior paint was bubbling and peeling off on the roof of the vehicle. The dealer and manufacturer were contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 94,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Feb 202006

2006 Ford Freestyle. Water leaking from moonroof area saturating carpet and spare tire galley causing mold.

- Lexington , NC, USA

Mar 012007

Freestyle 6-cyl

Six months after purchasing our car the paint was "sand blasted" off the forward side of the rear fenders. The design of the car allows for this to occur. It is AWD and the front tires constantly throw rocks at the rear fenders. The dealer painted the fenders. Six months later, the paint was worn away. The dealer painted again. This time the dealer applied a special protective device given to them from the factory over the paint to prevent it from occurring in the future. When I picked the car up, I learned that this is actually the same thin piece of plastic film the manufacturer put there when they built it. It was destroyed originally within the first 6 months along with the paint. I have contacted Ford customer service, Ford buy back program, the attorney generals office, and BBB. I am just now working with the BBB. All other contacts told me there was nothing more Ford would do to prevent the problem in the future. While speaking to Ford customer service, I was told: (1) Ford would do nothing more to fix the issue, (2) I have the option while it is under warranty to take it back and have it painted every 6 months, (3) I could search the Ford website and find a part off another Ford vehicle that might fix the problem, have the dealer order it, and take it home and try to make it fit on my car to protect the paint, (4) having paint remain on the fenders for longer than 6 months was outside of the scope of their quality policy, (5) that the car was not designed to be driven on gravel. All these response are not only unable to resolve the manufacturing defect in the vehicle, but also absurd. If the dealer had told me, "since you have a gravel driveway, I want to let you know that you will have to have your vehicle repainted every 6 months" I never would have purchased the vehicle. It is a poor design, poor customer service, and poor sales practices to sell vehicles that must be driven on clean dry roads at all times.

- South Salem, OH, USA