1.8

2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 152016

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While the vehicle was being operated, the rpms revved up and down although the speed remained the same. During the failure, the wrench indicator illuminated. In addition, after the engine was restarted, the vehicle failed to accelerate over 25 mph. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred intermittently. The cause of the failures was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 190,000. The VIN was not available.

- Croswell, MI, USA

Aug 292016

Freestyle

Safety complaint for Ford Freestyle 2006. The wrench and engine light appear on the dashboard and the engine goes to limp mode and the speed drops to 30 miles per hour from highway speed of 60 to 70 miles per hour with no warning other than the quick drop in speed and wrench light. Driving on a highway with trucks and cars going 70 miles per hour or more is beyond dangerous and asking to get hit. We have had Ford service on this car but they did not have recalls for this problem. Vehicle in motion on highway. Have had car towed, pulled over to breakdown lane and traveled side roads for fear of getting hit by another vehicle. Please do something to Ford Corp to fix this problem before there is tragedy.

- North Andover, MA, USA

Aug 032016

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving 35 mph, the accelerator pedal failed to respond when depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the throttle body failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 151,420.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Nov 112015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While the gear shifter stick was placed in reverse, the rpms rapidly increased with a loud noise. The vehicle independently lunged backwards without the accelerator pedal being depressed. The contact immediately depressed the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. As a result, the vehicle stalled and the check engine and wrench warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Weldon, CA, USA

Jul 312016

Freestyle

Long story short....my vehicle will increase throttle on it's own when sitting at a light in traffic or without traffic. Sometimes when I release the brake to take off it will throttle up just before and then stall out. I am only able to restart the car if I turn of the air conditioning. Today as with many other days, the throttle increased while attempting to slowly back out of a parking space. I slammed on the brakes to get the car to stop as the throttle contiued to increase and then stall out. I have noticed severely increasing incidents of this happening and am scared to drive my car. I have no other options. Please help me with this issue. I don't want to die or kill someone else because the car seems to have a mind of its own and my efforts to control the car are futile at times.

- Greenwood, DE, USA

Jul 012015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at low speeds in traffic, the vehicle began to independently surge forward without warning. The contact had to turn the steering wheel towards the median to avoid crashing into another vehicle. The vehicle stalled, but was able to be restarted. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Aug 042015

Freestyle

Engine lost power while driving on the garden state pkwy. No engine lights came on it hesitated to accelerate after leaving a toll booth and kicked off. I was told the car had a cylinder that was not firing and I needed a new engine. Upon the dealership pulling the engine they verified the engine was well maintained by me and the cause of the cylinder blow out was due to the timing chain blowing apart. My son could have been killed. Their was no engine light warning no transmission light and he had to cross over 4 lanes of high speed traffic to get to the shoulder of the garden state pkwy. I had the engine replaced and 6 weeks later upon picking up the vehicle it now has a transmission problem the day I picked up the car it would not accelerate over 60mph for me to enter traffic. It still does not climb steep hills. The car revs in rpms to 5 and feels like it it now getting air or fuel. When driving on flat surfaces transmission shifts fine. Help

- Manchester, VT, USA

Jan 022012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward without depressing the brake pedal. In addition, the vehicle experienced a loss of power sporadically while driving approximately 70 mph. The check engine and service warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body valve was sticking and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Ashville, AL, USA

Dec 172015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently as the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that when the air condition was activated, the vehicle would lunge forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,081.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 092015

Freestyle

On my 2006 Freestyle, that I purchased on 4/01/2014 from northway motor car in latham, NY, it suddenly jerked forward and shut off today. Upon trying to restart the vehicle ran on an unstable idle and both my service engine and engine wrench light appeared on the dash. The Freestyle would not move, upon putting it into gear it ran low idle and then shut down. Once my local garage ran a diagnostic test it referenced the throttle body being bad"? so now looking up recalls I find natsa action number :PE11018. Of course the extended warranty program 12N03 is only to 10 years or 150,000 miles. Great !!! I now have 180,100 miles and a loan for still over $3000. I am under the 10 year mark but over the milage, despite buying this from a major car dealer who could have had this problem fixed before selling it to me when it only had 148,322miles !!!! I am stuck with looking at a vehicle that doesnt run and wont untill I shell out over $750 for parts and labor on a natsa action that should still be covered !! is there any help for me or way to get this service done per the csp 12N03 ?" please advise asap !! I am disabled and retired do to the disability and have a very limited budget.

- Castleton, NY, USA

Aug 262015

Freestyle

Today (08/26/2015) while emerging into oncoming traffic my car refused to accelerate. It would never rise above 20 mph. Thankfully I was down the street from my mechanic. An otherwise two minute drive took fifteen minutes of my allowing the car to just coast because it would never accelerate when I pushed on the gas. After praying and finally making to the shop, he placed the diagnostic mac of thine on it only to inform me that it is the electronic throttle body was opened. I searched for a recall or something to offset the cost but I have been unsuccessful thus far. This was a very frightening experience and thankfully one where I didn't get injured due to cars almost hitting me, running up on my bumper even with the flashers on, it's not fair that this complaint is closed. What if someone got seriously injured or even died because the car just suddenly refused to accelerate.or even began to surge out into traffic. This matter needs to be re evaluated for the safety of all the customers who own this vehicle.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jun 152013

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently and the check engine and unknown warning lights illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be cleaned and the computer needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 108,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 262015

Freestyle

I was driving my car and the wrench indicator came on, my car would not accelerate. I've taken my car to the repair shop and was infromed there is a known issued with Ford Freestyle 2005-2006 and the cvt transmission. I reviewed and it appears Ford knows this is an issue, but refuses to recall/repair it. I will be seeking legal action if Ford does not pursue a recall on this vehicle and it's known issue with the cvt transmission.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Apr 232015

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While reversing out of the driveway, the vehicle accelerated independently and the contact had to slam on the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 209,120.

- Bountiful, UT, USA

Apr 112015

Freestyle 6-cyl

Driving down the interstate in traffic the engine stalls wrench light came on, leaving me with no power to control my speed. As my car quickly reduces speed on a major interstate I attempt to get over to the shoulder out of harms way. This is happened 4 times, the latest time our check engine light came on and stays on. P2104, P2100, P2112, and P0325 codes are present. I have seen Ford has recalled 1.6 million electronic throttle body in Ford escape, Mercury mariner, and Mercury Milan vehicles with the same 3.0L engine and same electronic throttle body. All Ford has to do is to list the Ford Freestyle as one of these recall vehicles for the etb to be repaired/replaced. This is a very scary situation to be in with children in the car and you have no power to you accelerator to get out of the way of speeding vehicles all around you!! I don't know what to do, very expensive to replace the etb.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Oct 012014

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the traction control and wrench warning lights illuminated. In addition, the engine rpms revved, the vehicle decelerated and failed to accelerate over 40 mph. The contact mentioned that the traction control warning light dimmed and the wrench warning light remained illuminated. The failure occurred intermittently. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Aug 202014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine surges at idle speed, and when taking corners. It is also worse when air conditioner is on. Very dangerous condition when not expected. I had it looked at by my local Ford dealer, but it has continued.Ford so called cleaning of throttle body did nothing to alleviate the problem.

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

Jul 132011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle decelerated to 10 mph and the engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body was faulty and needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 162014

Freestyle

TL-the contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle would decrease in speed. The contact would have to shut off the vehicle and restart to return to normal operation. The diagnostic check system determined that the throttle actuator forced idle needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 156,000.

- North Judson, IN, USA

Mar 142014

Freestyle

I was driving to work and the car just stopped..it would not come back on, it would not turn over with the key, so I had to tow it home it will move 12 inches forward and backward.

- Washington, DC, USA