2006 Ford Freestyle miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lunged forward with foot firmly on the brake, this also happened when the car was in reverse. This lunging stopped when the brake was applied, this has happened several times since then.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Aug 022011

I was backing my vehicle out of a parking space when the engine suddenly stalled and a small wrench light appeared on the instrument panel. Two days later, I was stopped at an intersection when the car began lurching forward, even though I was stopped with my foot on the brake. Later that day, it happened again while parking in my driveway. The car lurched while in both drive and reverse. There had been several days of extremely hot, humid weather during which I had been using the air conditioning in the car quite frequently. The air conditioner was on during all incidents. I have not had this problem occur again as I have not used the air conditioner since the last incident.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Aug 262011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Our 2006 Ford Freestyle lost power and began to surge irraticly. The vehicle then lost power and would not advance as if the transmission had gone out. The wrench symbol and the check engine light came on. We pulled over and shut the vehicle off. Restarting the vehicle helped the wrench light go away but the engine light remained on. Our local dealership has diagnosed the problem as a faulty throttlebody. The part was unavailable but was reassurred we could still drive the car. We started home and the problem re-occurred. Our car surged and then lost power. We were stranded on hwy 95 in 116 degree heat. Once we got home I started looking at the numerous complaints that Ford Freestyles have recieved on 2005-2007 models. We are currently waiting on the dealership to find a replacement throttlebody and schedule a repair. The car seems very unsafe when this problem occurs and Ford recommends replacing it with the same defective part.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Aug 252011

While stopped in traffic (outside temperatures were approximately 98-99 degrees F. air conditioning was running in both the front and back of the car) with the brake pedal pressed the engine revved (RPM went above 2) and lurched forward approximately 1 foot. Applied the brake pedal more forcifully and approximately 1 minute later the engine revved and the car lurched forward again. The second time put me almost rear-ending the car in front of me. Later in the day as I was reversing (again, with the brake pedal being utilized) the car revved and lurched backward. I am being told the throttle body needs to be replaced with expected costs roughly $1,000.

- Boise, ID, USA

Aug 222011

Incidents of unexpected vehicle movement when the driver's foot is not on the accelerator.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Jul 042011

When slowing to enter a parking space or on exit from a parking space the car would suddenly idle / rev up to a high speed RPM and quickly accelerate forward. This would tend to occur when you are moving between the accelerator pedal and the brake, the car would lurch forward without control. This required the driver to slam on the break to prevent the car from hitting adjacent cars, pedestrians and curb. This also occurs when slowing to a stop at controlled intersections. The problem seems to occur more frequently with high temperatures and at higher altitudes. The problem has caused the car to stall and to trigger a computer fault that limited the function of the transmission. Turning the car off and on again cleared the error.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Jul 062010

When at a stop light or at a drive thru car will lurch forward when in drive. Foot is usually on the brake pedal at the time, because it happens when I let off the brake to accelerate but the car accelerates on its own. The rpms go from 1 to 4 with no foot on the accelerater. Air conditioning is always on when it happens. It also happens in parking lots. It is always when at a stop, getting ready to go. Luckily I now know when it will happen and under what condition and have not hit anyone.

- St Charles, MO, USA

May 242011

I was waiting to pick up my son at school in the "pick up" lane. The car was in drive, but I was at a complete stop at the time with my foot on the brake. Without warning and without a change in the speed of the car and no movement of my foot off of the brake, the car's engine revved and suddenly lunged forward, nearly hitting the car in front of me. This has happened more than once since this time - always when the car was not moving (like waiting in drive-thru lines) or was about to come to a complete stop (like slowing down at a red light, for example.) I have heard from a friend who is a fellow Ford Freestyle owner that this is a problem with the throttle body. She had hers replaced and it cost her over $500!

- Euless, TX, USA

Feb 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle lunges very quickly while my foot is on the brake after I put it in drive or reverse, usually forcing me to slam on the brake at which point the car stalls. This is very scary as it has happened in crowded parking lots and also into traffic.

- La Grange, TX, USA

Jun 012009

Sudden "lurching" acceleration when idling, requiring a quick response to stop before crashing into other vehicles or lurching forward into oncoming traffic, or to avoid hitting pedestrians walking near the car. It happens both in forward and reverse, and is worse when the air conditioning is running. Many times it will stall the car in the middle of the intersection. Have had many near misses. Ford now says it is probably the throttle body requiring approx. $800 to replace it. This is after we have had it into the dealership's service dept. Numerous times and paid to have the problem tested/fixed to no avail.

- Travelers Rest, SC, USA

Jun 302011

When fully warmed up, this vehicle occasionally surges or lurches violently when first put in to gear (forward or reverse) from park. Foot is on the brake, but the vehicle still moves approximately 5 to 10 feet uncontrollably. Engine races and the check engine light comes on. Turning off the ignition and restarting the car clears the light. The local dealer is unable to find any codes stored on the computer. Ac has always been on when this happened. No accidents yet, but I'm sure there will be one some day.

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Jun 012009

Each summer for the last few years when the temperatures reach over 100 degrees, we have a problem with the car surging while either parking or backing up. It seems to happen most often on short trips, usually when the air conditioner is still on high. The brakes will stop the car but you must keep your foot over the brakes even to back out of the driveway. This does not happen any other time of year. This year, 2011, the car sometimes stalls out when surging and now the check engine light has come on. The 2 codes that came up is P2106 throttle actuator control system forced limited & P061B internal control module torque calculation. The current mileage on the car is 34922.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 232011

2006 Ford Freestyle is surging at low speeds.

- Denver, CO, USA

Mar 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I had to get my throttle replaced in my car due to involuntary lunging of the car. I have almost gotten in several accidents when my foot is on the brake and my car still lunges forward. I have to slam on the brakes in order to avoid hitting a car or a person. This is not an optional fix as it is clearly a safety hazard. I have seen several other complaints on this problem and hope that a re-call is issued. I spent nearly 1,000 dollars to get this problem resolved. This is not normal wear and tear. This is absolutely a defect. Please issue a recall as it is only fair to consumers.

- Los Alamos, NM, USA

Jun 012011

Vehicle lunges forward unpredictably while air conditioning is running. When I take my foot off the brake, it lunges forward.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Apr 012011

This vehicle unexpectedly surges forward when at a stop and when idling. Even with your foot on the brake the car can still lunge forward five to ten feet. This seems to be an intermittent problem but has happened many times. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed right away before somebody gets injured. I am extremely disappointed in Ford Motor Company for not addressing this issue yet. It is public record that this is a common problem with this vehicle. I would like to see a recall issued immediately.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Jul 302011

The vehicle lurches forward when at low speed and also while backing up without driver assisting. This sudden accelaration is unpredictable. I just purchased the vehicle a day ago and now I'm stuck with it. Every time I am backing out of the parking area it accelerates suddenly and I have to make sure my foot is on the break to stop the car before it hits something or someone. The same thing happens when I put the car on drive after backing up. It will lurch forward on its own.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 232011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Was a very hot day (100+ degrees) sitting in traffic with ac on. Car suddenly lunge forward. Happened several times within an hour. I bought the car used in may, and this is the only time it has happened. (2006 Ford Freestyle).

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Apr 042011

The vehicle sometimes accelerates when the vehicle is in a stopped position. If the brake is not pressed it will lunge forward. I have noticed that it appears to happen when the steering wheel is turned in either direction.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jan 012008

At low speed 0-5 mph +/- vehicle will suddenly surge. This can occur when moving forward, but most often occurs when vehicle is in reverse, as in backing into a parking space. The surge is very evident -- the engine revs and the vehicle speeds up. This will occur regardless of whether the accelerator or brake pedals are depressed. There is no evident correlation between the surge and other activities such as air conditioner use, weather conditions, etc. However, there does seem to a be a correlation with the vehicle's direction of travel and, possibly, engine temp. My observation is that the surge almost exclusively occurs 1) when the vehicle is in reverse; 2) at low speed or idle; and 3) after the engine warms.

- Long Beach, CA, USA