2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 21 of 21)

Jun 222010

Freestyle

6-22-2010, vehicle began surging and would lunge forward at idle speed with foot on brake. Wrench light on dash is on and vehicle continues to do this in drive and reverse. Took to service department 6-23-2010 to have checked. Was informed problem was throttle body assembly. Part is on back order due to multiple problems with this same part. Cost is est. $800 repair. Am now having to drive a vehicle I no longer consider safe until part is available or problem is taken care of by manufacture. Multiple searches online found that this is a growing problem with this vehicle and no reports have been made to date by manufacturer to solve the problem. Vehicle is a 2007 Ford Freestyle.

- Salina, KS, USA

Jun 162010

Freestyle

My 2007 Ford Freestyle has lunging/surging of power. I can have my foot on the brake and the car will surge either in forward or reverse. This happens daily. In parking lots is very dangerous. You actually have no control while it is happening. Ford says it is the throttle body assembly and is not covered under warranty. There are many people complaining about the same issue in their 2006 and 2007 models on the internet. I really wish that this matter is resolved with an investigation and a safety recall. Safety should always be number 1.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 012009

Freestyle

Vehicle lurches forward or backwards relative to whether you are in drive or reverse. Vehicle continues to try to lurch with pressure on the brake. Lurching is more apparent when the air is on. The dealership says that it is the engine throttle body.

- Philadelphia, MS, USA

May 242010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While driving 2 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated twice. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle stopped. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the throttle control was replaced. The failure had not occurred since the repair. The failure mileage was 43,581. The current mileage was 43,605.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 192010

Freestyle

Having acceleration surges on 07 Ford Freestyle. Has happened 3 times, the last of which almost hit pedestrian. Have taken to local Ford dealership and contacted Ford directly. Both saying no problem with vehicle. Did research online and finding numerous complaints for same problem and throttle body being the reason and Ford is aware of this problem. Is there going to have to be another situation like Toyota for Ford to recall?

- Eastover, SC, USA

Apr 102010

Freestyle

My 2007 Ford Freestyle appears to be having some kind of idle issue. As I put the car in gear, the rpms jump and cause the car to lunge. The rpms jump with the car in park, if the steering wheel is even turned a tiny bit. It's almost like the car isn't getting enough power until something is activated. My concern is with the lunging. I'm afraid it's going to project me into another car or something else. I've not had any service lights come on or anything. This issue just started. My car has 85K mile on it, so it's not under warranty. As I began researching this issue, I found many complaints about the same issue. I appears to be tied into the throttle body. If this is truly an issue with this car, why hasn't a recall been made on the part. This is a safety hazard, especially for a car built for families.

- Midlothian, TX, USA

Dec 142009

Freestyle

Car surges forward at low speeds or while coming to a stop. Also while stopped and placing vehicle in gear (forward or reverse). Ford has issued a tsb on this widespread problem (tsb 06-21-1), but refuses to acknowledge gravity of the problem. Scores of complaints on internet forums. Apparently is a defect in the electronic throttle body and causes sudden unexpected acceleration. Happens to our car regularly for the past 6 months. Car has appr. 50K miles.

- Boiling Springs, SC, USA

Nov 102009

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 022010

Freestyle

Car will suddenly surge in acceleration when switching from park to reverse and reverse to drive; this usually occurs on hot summer day and more so with the ac running. Sometimes when you have the brakes depressed and switch gears the surges (revs high) then stalls.

- Pinehurst, NC, USA

Jun 102009

- Pinehurst, NC, USA

May 132008

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While depressing the brake pedal and approaching a stop light at speeds of 35 mph, the engine exhibited a high increase in rpms. The brakes would not immediately engage and within a few seconds, finally engaged. She applied minimal pressure to the brake pedal in an attempt to decrease the high engine rpms and discontinue the idling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure could not be duplicated. The failure mileage was 19,290 and the current mileage was 52,000.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Mar 052010

Freestyle

While driving at about 55 mph I accelerated to pass a vehicle, the gas pedal stuck after I took my foot off. I shifted to neutral and back into drive. The car began to accelerate again. I shifted into neutral a second time and looked down at the pedal to see the floormat caught on the bottom of the pedal. I kicked it away from the pedal and resumed normal driving. Upon arriving, I inspected the floormat, which is original, and found it was still attached to the mat hook. The design permits the mats to rotate and catch on the pedals apparently.

- St Paul, MN, USA

Aug 082009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. When driving or idling the vehicle will stall without any prior warnings. Also when shifting into reverse, the vehicle will lurch backwards. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and the technician stated that the throttle body need to be replaced at an expense of $800. He then added that the parts were on backorder. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Phoenix City, AL, USA

Aug 202009

Freestyle

My 2007 Freestyle accelerates without warning. This started about 2 weeks ago. On Saturday Aug 29, my car would not start, I took it to the dealer and was told my battery needed replacement (again no warning of a problem) 3 days later 9/2 while backing up, my car suddenly and violently accelerated and jerked backwards, I nearly hit a car. I immediately went to the dealer, they told me I needed a throttle body but the part is on back order until Dec. I called Ford customer care and they confirmed they are aware of the problem and the "engineers are redesigning the part and the Dec date is only a projection" I inquired about the dealer giving me a loaner car, was told no, but I could rent one, I took my car home, in the 7 miles that I drove I had 3 unexpected accelerations. The car is not drivable and now will sit in the garage until who knows when. Nothing has been done by Ford to correct the immediate safety issue. My car only has 44000 miles, and has had all recommended services done by the dealer at the recommended intervals.

- Corona, CA, USA

Aug 082007

Freestyle

At a stop light in heavy traffic with brake depressed, my vehicle started to rev up very high and then stalled. This continued to do this excessively until I was able to pull off to the side of the road. The wrench light came on only after the problem had occurred. I felt as though the car was out of control like it was going to take off with my foot on the brake. I was afraid that my car was going to hit another car. Everyone around was starring at me like I was some crazy driver! after help arrived, we took to the nearest dealership and was told that it needed a new electronic throttle body which would not be covered under my powertrain warranty. After research, I found that Ford had issued a tsb for this matter and is fully aware of this problem but has failed to issue a recall or pay for this defected part. The tsb number is 06-21-1. still the dealership refused to cover this repair which will be $691 plus the $85 inspection fee. I found that this is a very common problem in the Ford Freestyles and this is happening to many more Ford owners out there. The part is going to take at least a month to get. Ford says it is on backorder. Worst of all, the dealership told me that my car should be drivable until then!!!! my car has less than $50,000 miles on it and it is absolutely ridiculous that Ford will not own up to this. I definitely feel that this is a major safety issue and continuing to drive the car will put me and my family and perhaps others in harms way.

- Cedar Hill, TN, USA

Jun 152009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. When the contact slowly depressed the brake pedal, the vehicle would lunge forward unexpectedly at least a foot, as if she slammed on the brakes. The "wrench" warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. While driving over 50 mph, the rpms would increase and the vehicle would not gain speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they found that the electronic throttle body was defective and affected the powertrain, which her warranty would not cover. The dealer reset the vehicle codes to clear the "wrench" warning indicator. The repair cost was estimated at $655, which would be at the contact's expense. The current and failure mileages were less than 64,742.

- Whitewright, TX, USA

May 132008

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While stopped at a stop light or stop sign with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle revs and jerks forward. In addition, when the vehicle is placed into reverse and the brake pedal is depressed, the vehicle revs and jerks backwards. The current mileage was 26,099 and failure mileage was 22,000.

- El Paso , TX, USA