2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 8 of 21)

Jun 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Ford 2007 Freestyle was positively, certainly accelerating on it's own. It was at times terrifying. It kept getting worse. It happened in different degrees of severity and length of time. It also happened in two different ways. The first way was when I was either simply driving but predominantly when I began to slow down for a red light or to park. At that very second, the car would literally jump ahead in a sudden, mortifying tremendous acceleration. I would try to restrain it by stepping on the breaks as hard as I could. The car would not respond to the breaks, the thrust was as strong or at times, stronger. Most times it kept going for a bit, but with my heart pounding in fear that I would hit another car or a pedestrian, I would find myself truly off my seat, solely on the break with all my possible strength; and the car would die. When I was at a light and the green came on, I was having to restart the car quickly to keep with traffic flow.many times, after restarting the car and driving slowly and trying to stay away from other cars, the car would go on, but with a hiccup on and off.then things would seem normal, but I never knew for how long. The second way in which the car self accelerated, was when I turned it on to start driving.again the acceleration would be so sudden and I never knew how strongly. Some times I was very close to hitting the car behind me in a parking lot, or anywhere I was parked. I had to take extra, precautions to make absolutely sure, more than usual, than no persons would be even remotely in range of my car when I turned it on, because I never knew, depending on the acceleration force, how far the "jump" would be. This problem kept me in anxiety and uncertainty. I took my car twice to my regular car shop, had to take it to Ford dealer, only place to find the equipment needed. Person there knew about same problem in other Ford.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 112011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Bought a 2007 Ford Freestyle in March 2011 and started having problems shortly after. Was told it has cvt and it acts up sometimes. My problems are lunging, rough idle, engine dying. Have been just dealing with it and using recommended fuel and occasional injector cleaner. This weekend( Jan 8 2012) I went to change air filter, check tire pressure, etc. I followed the directions in the manual to reset the idle trim and now the vehicle will not move at all. It will idle with no A/C, but the gas pedal does nothin. When you turn A/C on it dies. We have not hit anyone or anything, but have come close once or twice. We drive the vehicle with the anticipation that its gonna move without warning. Any assistance will be appreciated.

- Bloomingdale, GA, USA

Oct 122011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when releasing the brakes to engage the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would lunge forward abnormally. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who stated there was an investigation into the issue and that they would document her call. They offered no further assistance. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Drums, PA, USA

Oct 142010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lunges at stops and low speeds.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Apr 282010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when having the brakes applied, the vehicle would lunge forward and the engine RPM's would increase drastically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised him that the fuel injection system had failed. In addition, the contact would hear a loud noise from the vehicle when driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised him that he needed a new transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was approximately 74,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Circleville, OH, USA

Aug 082011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the wrench warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact attempted to place the vehicle in reverse and once she removed her foot from the brake pedal, the vehicle lunged backward causing the contact to crash into another vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. There was an open investigation under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that could possibly have been related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Clevland, OH, USA

Aug 192011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would abnormally accelerate when braking to a complete stop. The vehicle would be turned off for approximately two minutes before it would restart. In addition, the driver side seat belt would not remain locked. The dealer was notified of the failure who advised that he should bring the vehicle in for diagnostics. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,603.

- Shelton, WA, USA

Sep 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car would lurch forward when at slow speed or idling. Would be very difficult to control at slow speed such as entering a parking lot, garage or turning. Happened continuously for months until we were too concerned about safety or damage to the car or others. Had to keep foot pressed very hard to brake to avoid having the car shoot forward. We knew many other Freestyle owners had been having this very dangerous problem and hoped for a recall but when the engine light went on we could avoid it no longer and had the throttle body replaced. It cost us just over $900 plus tax to replace it.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Jul 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The first time the problem occurred, I was waiting in a line to exit a parking lot so I was idling when the car surged forward. I slammed on the brakes and the car stalled out. I was able to re-start but then it would surge again. I put the car in neutral and was able to make it out. The car chugged a bit but when I got going it worked fine. A few days later, when idling, the car would either chug and stall or surge. The problem was particularly bad one day and had been doing it a few times. We then were entering the highway and it was like the car wasn't getting any gas, it took awhile to get the car over 25 mph. We took it to the Ford dealership and they said they weren't sure what they problem was but the readout said it was the throttle body but they weren't familiar with anyone else having the problem. It seems the problem occurs when it is very hot and the air conditioning is running.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle vehicle lunges when it is in low speed in either forward or reverse. I almost hit a pedestrian in a parking lot when this happened. The air conditioning was on. I was looking for a parking space in a parking lot of a store. The second time it happened was under similar conditions. I almost hit a car behind me as I was backing out of a parking space. When I hit the brake, it lowered the speed. This is very dangerous. Has this vehicle been recalled"?" if not, it should be!! the Ford Motor Company must fix this problem.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 042011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My wife was running her routes, making stops for groceries, pet food, etc. It was a sunny and warm day. As she came home, during the last mile, she noticed car behaving erratically (vehicle's speed seemed to slow down, then speed up, slow down, whatever it wanted). She knew immediately something was wrong because it has never done this before. We have owned it for 2+ years and she is the primary driver. She pulled into our driveway. The garage is 90deg to the driveway and requires driving beyond the garage door entry, then a short backing up and turn of the wheel to align it for pulling in. When she came to a stop, then put into reverse, the car began to really act up, lunging, hesitating, ,. she was able to manage reversing the vehicle with running into our barn or into the yard and got it into the garage. She immediately called me several times at work and left me messages on various phone numbers. I think it shook her up pretty badly. We have 3 young children and we do not want to see them or anyone hurt. We did our homework before purchasing this vehicle and decided not to get the AWD model because the repair rates were slightly higher. Last night I immediately suspected this to be the culprit though. Before doing any diagnostics, I thought to check a few websites and phone a friend. There are obvious design features that diminish the reliability and quality of this vehicle as related to the most basic feature we expect a car to do - stop when we want it to, go when we want it to. And when these types of issues surface so early in a product's life, why is the NHTSA allowing them to persist. Is it waiting to see 'how many more will come' or raise the priority after someone has been fatally injured" what if this happened while I was in the car line to drop my daughter off for school, , and the kid in front of us was just stepping out of their car?"

- Akron, OH, USA

Apr 012008

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would surge forward while the air conditioning unit was activated, attempting to park, or while traveling at low speeds. The failure recurred intermittently since April 2008. The dealer replaced the air filter to remedy the failure however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a second time and the contact was informed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 139,000. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

May 302011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently lunge forward while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the throttle was replaced. A few months later, the power train light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact was also informed that the parts necessary to remedy the failure were unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the first failure, but not the second failure. No assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 012011

Freestyle

We purchased the 2007 Ford Freestyle only one month ago from a dealer in blair Nebraska who certified that there were no problems with the vehicle purchased. We have not owned this vehicle for more than a month. While driving today with the family (children included) down the freeway the vehicle stopped accelerating in the center of heavy traffic. Lucky no accident was caused! the vehicle started lurching and then would not go over 25 mph. We are understanding that there are several complaints about this vehicle performing the same way with many others in class action and forums.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Sep 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

When the car is in an idle position either in park or at a red light with my foot on the brake the car starts to move without any pressure to the gas pedal. The problem is worse when the air conditioner is running or when the car has sat in park with the engine running for more that 5 or 10 minutes.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Throttle body issues (possibly transmission as well) cause intermittent surging, unexpected acceleration patterns, stalling or all three. This is especially pronounced with A/C running. The first time it occured I was backing out of a parking space in a crowded mall parking lot. The sudden surge as I was backing out at idle (not depressing the accelerator at all) nearly caused me to hit a pedestrian. Dealer "could not replicate" the issue but suggested a thorough cleaning of throttle body. Have driven approximately 40,000 miles since first incident and cleaning does help for a short while but the surging returns without warning. Clearly a dangerous issue, an accident waiting to happen and I've learned (online) this is common in these vehicles.

- Midland, GA, USA

May 232011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward or backward when idled. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 59,000.

- Margate, FL, USA

Jan 262011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle surged while driving low speeds. While the gear was in reverse or drive there would be a sudden surge in the engine. The speed would increase up to 15 mph. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Dayton , IN, USA

Sep 062011

Freestyle 6-cyl

On as many as 8 occasions, my Ford Freestyle has lunged without touching accelerator at all. This happened to both my wife and myself. This has happenend in forward, reverse, when turning and when air is switched on. The first time I was turning as I backed out of a parking spot. Very scary! other than that I love the vehicle.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

May 212011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward abnormally after being stop or in reversed while would lunge forward abnormally when stopped or braking to a stop. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Arlington, TX, USA