2007 Ford Freestyle miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 152016

Freestyle

Our 2007 Ford Freestyle is lunging when it is idling or at low speeds, especially when you turn the steering wheel. This happens in forward and reverse. It has been happening increasingly for the past few months. There has not been an accident yet, but several close calls. It is difficult to control and not always predictable. We are very cautious where we park and try to avoid parking next to cars(nearly impossible) and especially expensive vehicles because it is likely this will cause us to hit another vehicle at some point.

- Salem, IN, USA

Oct 142015

Freestyle

Unable to start car immediately after filling gas tank. Also, upon stopping at light or turning a corner it feels like the gas is not going to the engine and I am unable to move forward. This forces me to pull over to the side of the road.. at the time I had the air conditioner on and now am told the compressor is bad. There is loud clicking (like the computer is 'thinking') coming from under the dash.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Jun 162015

Freestyle

Freestyle model not listed under selections in app.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 282015

Freestyle

My 2007 Ford Freestyle is at a local Ford dealer in need of another transmission the last one they put in was bad. So my car has been at the dealers and is still there. I took it in on 4/28/2015. Ford is giving me the run around.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 022015

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle 01/20/15 from a used lot in raleigh nc, 'something you should never do in the first place''. I had just got off maternity leave and I needed a car so I could be able to get to work. On the 4th of April 2015. I was driving the car on the highway when it started to jerk back and make a very loud roaring sound. The car started to slow down and jerk back and forth if you went over 20 miles per hour. I pulled over to check the car and I could not figure out what was wrong with it so I called my husband and he came. The car could still drive but very slowly while making the same sound so he drove very slowly behind me. Keep in mind I had my two month old in the back seat when all of this craziness was happening. Next day I couldn't even drive the car because of the poor condition it was in. When we took it to a specialized mechanic for this cvt transmission it has, they notified us after waiting four to five hours to replace this unique engine it would cost $4-$6,000 dollars. That is insane to have to replace the entire transmission after only having it for two months and to replace it because ''Ford'' is too cheap and inconsiderate to not recall this piece of crap of a car. How can Ford ignore this issue that it is causing world wide. It is not just one or two minor issues it is the entire transmission that needs to be replaced. Wake up Ford!! this is a terrible vehicle to sell to the american people!! I wouldn't even sale this vehicle in foreign countries!! my advice to anyone is to never ever buy any Ford vehicles!! this was a nightmare!!

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Ford 2007 Freestyle was positively, certainly accelerating on it's own. It was at times terrifying. It kept getting worse. It happened in different degrees of severity and length of time. It also happened in two different ways. The first way was when I was either simply driving but predominantly when I began to slow down for a red light or to park. At that very second, the car would literally jump ahead in a sudden, mortifying tremendous acceleration. I would try to restrain it by stepping on the breaks as hard as I could. The car would not respond to the breaks, the thrust was as strong or at times, stronger. Most times it kept going for a bit, but with my heart pounding in fear that I would hit another car or a pedestrian, I would find myself truly off my seat, solely on the break with all my possible strength; and the car would die. When I was at a light and the green came on, I was having to restart the car quickly to keep with traffic flow.many times, after restarting the car and driving slowly and trying to stay away from other cars, the car would go on, but with a hiccup on and off.then things would seem normal, but I never knew for how long. The second way in which the car self accelerated, was when I turned it on to start driving.again the acceleration would be so sudden and I never knew how strongly. Some times I was very close to hitting the car behind me in a parking lot, or anywhere I was parked. I had to take extra, precautions to make absolutely sure, more than usual, than no persons would be even remotely in range of my car when I turned it on, because I never knew, depending on the acceleration force, how far the "jump" would be. This problem kept me in anxiety and uncertainty. I took my car twice to my regular car shop, had to take it to Ford dealer, only place to find the equipment needed. Person there knew about same problem in other Ford.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle surges when stepping on the gas and brake. I believe there is a problem with the throttle body and transmission. This is a huge safety issue that needs to be addressed. This has been a huge issue since I purchased the car in Feb 2011, however no one at the dealership can figure out what is going on. This happens at least 4-7 times a month.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Throttle body issues (possibly transmission as well) cause intermittent surging, unexpected acceleration patterns, stalling or all three. This is especially pronounced with A/C running. The first time it occured I was backing out of a parking space in a crowded mall parking lot. The sudden surge as I was backing out at idle (not depressing the accelerator at all) nearly caused me to hit a pedestrian. Dealer "could not replicate" the issue but suggested a thorough cleaning of throttle body. Have driven approximately 40,000 miles since first incident and cleaning does help for a short while but the surging returns without warning. Clearly a dangerous issue, an accident waiting to happen and I've learned (online) this is common in these vehicles.

- Midland, GA, USA

Apr 012009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The first time the problem occured was soon after I purchased my car. I took my foot off the brake when the car was in park, and the car lunged forward. Since that time, this has happened numerous times. The car has also lunged backwards when I put the car in reverse and took my foot off the brake. At times, this has caused the car to die. It seems to be worse when the air conditioning is on.

- Marion, AR, USA

Oct 112010

Freestyle

Transmission (cvt) started making noises and lunging forward even when foot on brake. Had to have transmission replaced. On May 13th, 2011 took vehicle back in for the lunging forward issue. Had air filter replaced due to not sealing properly and that would probably take care of the lunging. It was fine fine for about a week and the lunging is happening now on a daily basis and it's very dangerous. I have almost hit the cars in front of me and also parking in the garage it has almost hit the garage wall because it lunged forward when my foot was on the brake.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Aug 052011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle sel problems started out with the wrench light coming on occasionally when the outside temperature reached 90 degrees.it would surge violently when put in reverse, and had no power after that.turning the engine off and re-starting would clear the problem.it now surges violently when backing up, or manuvering at slow speeds.it runs fine on the open hi-way, but will stall at a stop.the engine races when shifting from forward to reverse, or into park.I have read where others are experiencing this same problem, and yet Ford motors continues to ignore the issue.I also read where hundreds of dollars have been spent by others, and still having problems.I have scheduled an appointment with my local dealer for 8/08/11, and dreading the cost to repair a problem that has been apparent for some time.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Aug 042011

Freestyle

I was pulling into a parking spot in my 2007 Ford Freestyle when all of a sudden without warning the car lunged forward. My foot was not on the accelerator in fact it was lightly pressed on the brake as I was easing into the spot. For several months now we have been experiencing a humming noise with the RPM's hovering above normal. A reduction in power occurs at lower speeds especially with A/C on. Problem seems to be getting worse, have read numerous complaints with the same mechanical problems in the same vehicle as my own. Appears from previous reports read that the issue has to do with a defective throttle body.

- Santa Rita, AP, USA

May 292011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2007 Ford Freestyle lunges forward when we do not have our foot on the accelerator. It seems to be worse when the A/C is being used (I.e.summer months). This has almost caused accidents on several occasions when we first noticed it. Now we try to remember to be aware but we want it fixed. We have taken it to be fixed and they can't figure out what the cause is. Please help us get this fixed or recalled.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jun 112011

Freestyle

We purchased a used 2007 Freestyle in Nov. 2010, when warm weather came around we realized the air conditioner did not work so we had it fixed. Since then on several occasions our Freestyle has surged, or lunged on it's own, usually at low speeds and even when my foot is on the brake. This has really scared me several times as the majority of the time I'm parking and have been close on three accounts to hitting the car in front or back of me. I also was at a stop sign in a parking lot and someone was walking in the crosswalk in front on me and it surged forward, thank goodness no one was hurt.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Apr 152011

Freestyle

Involuntary and unexpected sudden "lunging" when starting, stopping, or at "idle" speed. Usually "lunges" forward when light pressure is applied to brake at "idle". foot is not necessarily on the accelerator. Occurs in garage, parking lots, and at stop light. Could result in personal injury or damage.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jul 242011

Freestyle

This car has been lurching forward when put in park for the last month or so. On the date of the incident, when I pulled out of the parking space the engine hesitated a couple of times like it was going to cut off. It lurched forward just before I pulled out into the road. As I came to a yield sign I had to stop for traffic. When it was my turn to go, the car moved forward but as if the emergency brake was on (slow and labored). I drove to the next parking lot and pulled into a parking space and called my husband to come get me and we took the car straight to the dealership. It was Sunday evening so we left it there with a detailed report as to what happened. By Monday evening we picked up the repaired car and contacted this organization. The throttle body -air intake was replaced.

- Lexington Park, MD, USA

Jul 202011

- Gainesville, TX, USA

Jul 202011

Freestyle

Several times my vehicle surges forward when moving at slow speeds or braking. This has happened while driving forward and reverse. More noticeable when the A/C is on. Even when my foot is on the brake. I can hear the engine revving when this is happening - even though my foot is on the brake.it also loses power on the freeway and becomes very sluggish in acceleration.the vehicle would lose power unexpectedly when driving 10 mph and up. Also I had a minor accident, the vehicle accelerated by itself and I hit a wall in my garage. Also, it would not go forward and when put in reverse it would accelerate--this happened in the middle of traffic during rush hour. We finally took it to the dealer to have it looked at, they told us it was the throttle body and our master tech guarantee did not cover the expense. All they did was clean the throttle up (is expected to have more problems later) because the cost was over $700 and we cannot afford it at the time. So, after we took it out of the shop the car is now only accelerating to no more than 4000 rpms.

- Gainesville, TX, USA

Jul 212011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Unexpected acceleration. Vechicle "surges" unexpectedly while foot is on brake. While driving yesterday on I-275 (N) at the I-96 junction, traffic was heavy and had to slow down and in some cases, stop the vehicle. Vehicle "lunged" unexpectedly several times while foot was firmly on brake. Vechile "check engine light" icon turned on as well as a " wrench" icon on the left side of the odometer. Once the icons appeared the vechile "stalled" and needed to be restarted. Pulled off to the side of freeway, turned engine off and waited approximately 10 minutes. Restarted vechile and noticed that the "check engine" icon remained on but the small "wrench" icon was off. Drove home without further incident. Going to Ford dealership this morning.

- White Lake, MI, USA

May 012011

Freestyle

When idling, or just beginning to go forward, car lunged/surged forward. When just beginning to go in reverse, car lunged/surged backward. Lunges/surges increased in frequency and speed. The dealership service dept. Determined that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced.

- Sarasota, FL, USA