2013 Ford Fusion Energi fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi:

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Owner Comments

Jul 262014

Fusion Energi 4-cyl

"stop safely now" error. The drivetrain disengaged preventing drive or reverse from working. On 7/26/14 I drove 1 hour, parked, turned car off and "removed the ignition key" then the interior air conditioning blower/fan turned on full as if the defroster was on. The touch screen lcd remained on as well. Pressing the climate control buttons on either the lcd or the console had no affect. I inserted the key and started the car again several times without change. The interior air conditioner blower/fan continued to run. I wanted to make sure the car would actually drive so I pulled forward out of the parking space when the "stop safely now" light appeared and the drivetrain disengaged preventing drive or reverse from working. Luckily I was able to roll the car back to the parking space safely. I repeated this process several times and every time the drivetrain disengaged within about 3 to 5 seconds preventing any forward or reverse movement. Had this happened on a highway I just drove it could have caused a life threatening accident. Locked and left the car sit for 5 hours. Came back to the car and it worked normally for a 1 hour drive home. Called dealership and scheduled diagnostic. A second issue that may or may not be related occurred after an oil change and replacement of a purge value assembly 1 month ago. The issue that started is the engine engages regardless of the vehicle mode or operation. Even when set to full electric and parked with no accessories running, the motor turns on at a high idle and remains on. A firmware update partially resolved the motor running constantly as now it runs a little more than 50% of the time for no reason and at a high idle. There were no issues during the 10 months prior to needing the purge valve assembly and subsequent issues appearing.

- Dover, NJ, USA

Oct 312013

Fusion Energi 4-cyl

Engine light went on. Brought car to Ford. Diagnostic testing showed problem to be w/ the fuel system. Since first noted back in October 2013, light would come on multiple times and associated w/ fueling the car w/ gas. Went on Ford's web forum site and have seen other 2013 Fusion owners w/ the same problem. Ford stated they would change the entire fuel system if the light were to come on again. We will bring back the car to Ford next week for service to take care of the problem.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Apr 162014

Fusion Energi 4-cyl

Was pulling onto a main road turning left out of a parking lot. Speed was roughly 5 mph. Received an error light, system said loss of advancetrac, then subsequently multiple error lights appeared on the dash (wrench, check engine light, traction control lights). Made it into the median. Vehicle was still "running", so I attempted to accelerate into the main road. There was no response from the vehicle when the accelerator pedal was pressed, so I let up to coast. The vehicle then accelerated gently on it's own. I merged into the lane, and let the vehicle accelerate on it's own up to speed. It got up to 40mph before I hit the brakes to bring the vehicle to a stop. I came to a red light. While I was sitting there, I tried putting the vehicle into park and back into drive. It didn't seem to make any difference. From there, the light turned green, and when I took my foot off the brake the vehicle began to accelerate again on it's own. Again, it accelerated on it's own up to 40mph before I had to suppress the acceleration with the brake. At no point did the accelerator pedal respond to any pressing. I navigated into a parking lot where I subsequently turned off the vehicle and turned it back on. The warning lights had not changed, but the vehicle was drivable. I then went straight to the nearest Ford dealership where they ran the 14-0020 tsb which supposedly fixed the problem.

- Homer Glen, IL, USA

Jan 222014

Fusion Energi 4-cyl

I pulled out of driveway and onto highway when multiple warning lights came on dashboard. Pressed on gas pedal and car would not move. Released gas pedal and vehicle started to accelerate on its own, reaching speeds in excess of 45mph. The car was turned off and back on, and continued showing the symptoms of not moving when gas pedal was pressed, but would still accelerate on its own when no pedals were pressed.

- Middletown, PA, USA