2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments

Jun 112016

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid. While driving on the highway, the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering. As a result, the vehicle veered out of the lane and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The traction control, hillside start assist, and steering assist warning indicators illuminated. The contact was able to regain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer; however, a diagnosis was not provided. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V250000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- St. Joseph, MO, USA

Mar 062015

Fusion Hybrid

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at a very slow speed the steering completely failed and the driver had no ability to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that two out of three bolts in the steering gear motor assembly fractured. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,981.

- Truro, MA, USA

Mar 242015

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

I was backing out of my garage at home and as soon as I put the car in drive and started to turn the wheel, I heard a loud clunk. The steering wheel locked and the car would not steer. It was completely locked. When I tried to force the wheel I heard a massive grinding sound but the car still wouldn't steer. I called roadside assistance and they flat-bedded the car to my local Ford dealer. My car has never been in an accident and has been driven responsively. I can't believe the steering would break like this. Thank goodness I wasn't driving down the road as an accident surely would have occurred. The broken steering rack has been on order for a month now. I'm getting the run-around from the Ford representative. I'm extra concerned because my wife drives the exact same car. I'd like to know what exactly happened and once its "fixed" how can I be assured it won't happen again. As of today, I still have not gotten the car back from the dealership. Please note that when you check my VIN # it is registered in my company's name automatic music & vending.

- Painesville, OH, USA

May 012013

Fusion Hybrid 4-cyl

While traveling North on ca-2 near san fernando road, the steering started to feel wobbly. About 2 seconds later, the computer screen in the instrument cluster displayed an alert saying to service the steering soon; about 2 seconds after that, it said "steering loss - stop safely" along with an audible warning sound. The curvature of the road was such that going straight ahead put the car on the road shoulder with enough time to stop, so I cannot say whether the steering would have worked if I had applied extremely high force to the steering wheel. However, after stopping and restarting the car, the steering wheel's movement had no effect on the wheels, and the mechanic at the Ford dealer (to which the car was towed) said that they were entirely unable to steer the car. Although I was able to stop safely, I and other people could easily have died if I had been on a winding road, had needed to make an emergency maneuver, or if the drivers next to us on the freeway had not noticed the hazard flashers and moved out of the way. Advantage Ford Lincoln in duarte repaired the steering by replacing the entire rack and pinion system, and we subsequently returned the vehicle to the selling dealer for a refund. The repairing dealer assured us that the faulty part was being sent to Ford for analysis.

- Pasadena, CA, USA