2008 Ford Taurus X miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Taurus X:

2008 Ford Taurus X Owner Comments

Oct 142015

Taurus X

We are original owners on a 2008 Ford Taurus X with 143000 miles on it. The transmission has been shuttering and shifting roughly for the past 30000 miles or so. Recently my wife was driving at low speed when several warning lights on the dash went off, the miles until empty reading dropped to 0 (3/4 tank of gas remained), and the vehicle would rev but only go 2-3 mph. I entered some of these symptoms into google and found many message board enteries referencing this issue. What concerns me is Ford does not to appear to fix the issue short of replacing the transmission ($4000).

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 182011

Taurus X

Vehicle in park and running/idling on slightly inclined driveway, facing upwards. 'driver', outside and beside vehicle on passenger side, opened front passenger door to reach across and remove key from ignition (shut off the engine), and the second she shut it off, vehicle started rolling backwards, with both of driver's feet still on the driveway and with the passenger door open immediately next to her, pulling her in the direction of the downward slope of the driveway. She jumped into the car, then over the middle console, and with her left foot depressed brake to stop vehicle. Both of driver's shins were scraped by the vehicle (along the door sill), as it began to roll backwards. Ford motor issued technical service bulletin 08-1-8 on 01/21/08: Stopped on incline - in drive or reverse - without brake applied - vehicle rolls - built before 11/28/2007. However, build date for this VIN is 01/15/08. Also, and again, this incident was while vehicle was in park. Brake was not applied. Failed component unknown.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Jan 072011

Taurus X 6-cyl

While driving on the expressway at 70ish mph, with the cruise control on, I applied slight pressure to the gas pedal to accelerate around a slower car. When I did, the engine revved to around 3500rpms, but did not gain speed. The engine continued to rev, and since I wasn't accelerating I needed to slow to match traffic flow. I tapped the brakes with no result. The engine was still revving, and next I manually turned the cruise control off at the hand control. The engine continued to rev, and I tapped the brakes again with no result. In urgency I applied heavy pressure to the brake. At that time I heard a snap, and the engine stopped revving, and my speed came down. This all happened within about 6-8 seconds, and resolved just before I had to decide on a place to fly off of the highway going 70 so that I wouldn't kill anyone. This only occurred once as I continued my trip without use of the cruise control. The car was brought in to the dealership where diagnostic testing and road testing were done without duplicating the problem.

- Lasalle, MI, USA

Dec 012010

Taurus X

My car lost power while driving and stalled in traffic. My mechanic had it for two weeks and tested repeatedly and could not find a reason and could not make the event reoccur. I drive in a rural area with young children.

- Susquehanna, PA, USA