1996 Ford Windstar transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford Windstar:

1996 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Jan 032012

Windstar LX 3.8L V6

I pulled my van up to a red light after a long drive, the light turned green, i went to accelerate but the van would not move. I only had reverse after going threw the gears. I had to wave the cars around me, than backed up into a parkenlot. If I put the van into low 2 and rev the engine it acts like it slowly wants to creep forward. I have changed the trany filter and fluid but never fixed the prob. Im thinking it might now be the shift pump but, im a old school mechanic and dont realy got a clue on these newer transmissions. I know its alot of miles and probably should replace the whole trany but, hoping for a cheaper solution. any ideas?

- , Rathdrum, ID, USA

Aug 042009

Windstar LX 3.8L

misfire no 4 cyl new coil pack wires plug inj eng light flashes than solid abs light, brake light on tranny, will not shift

- , Fwb, FL, USA

Sep 302007

Windstar 3.8L V6

Transmission will not shift at all. I would like to see ford put in manual (stick shift) transaxle, because it would be less maintenance for the owner, so only the engine will be a problem. I know that many owners will agree with me. A smaller engine like a 4 cyl. would be more economic for owners, with bigger cylinder bore which means more torque for the vehicle.

- , Belize City, Belize, Belize