1998 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Windstar:

1998 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 272005

Windstar 6-cyl

While parked on the street, somehow in the night, an electrical fire ignited on the left passenger seat behind the driver seat located at the second electrical outlet. It was so hot it melted the car seat and paneling near the armrest. The glass didn't break but paint to outside of car is peeling off. Center and console was destroyed. The fire went out somewhere near the front. No repairs have been made.

- Willingboro , NJ, USA

Sep 232003

Windstar 8-cyl

Right after purchasing the vehicle, I started having problem with it. I addressed the seller, and he told me that the vehicle had no warranty, and so that I should just take the vehicle and take care of the problem by myself. I have had numerous of problems with this vehicle. When I purchased the vehicle, I feel I was used because I am poor, and was desperate for a vehicle. Other people that have purchased a vehicle from them have had the same problem. I don't know what actions can be taken to correct the matter any longer. I haven't given a payment for about 4 months, because I have had to fix the vehicle. Mainly transmission and electrical problems. I have also had steering wheel problems, and tire problems.

- Mcminville, OR, USA

Apr 162004

Windstar 6-cyl

Door ajar light stays on, door ajar bell rings continually when parked or driving under 17 mph, interior will not go off, problem seemed to come and go but now it seems to be here for good. Unsafe to drive at night.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Jan 042004

Windstar 6-cyl

I currently own a 1998 Ford Windstar. I have had this van for two years. I bought it with 38000 miles on it and now have 66000 miles on it. Up till about a month ago, I had no problems as I have loved this van. But I did run into a peculiar problem that seems that most people are having with this van as I have checked numerous websites and web posts on the internet as well as my friends that have formerly owned this vehicle. The door ajar censor inside the doors wear, causing the computers to recognize the car doors to be shut. This emits a beeping sound that steadily beeps till you rise above 15 mph. Also, the lights stay on and since Ford built these vans all the same way, you cannot simply fix it without spending at least 500 dollars if your lucky. Also, another problem has risen just recently. My transmission has started to slip. I expected normal wear-and-tear, but it seems that when you reach a certain threshold, as many of other people have experienced once hitting 65000 miles on this particular van, the transmission goes completely. I would like to send an awareness to Ford to fix this problem in their newer vans, if a problem emerged and to future buyers of this year of van. This has cost me over 2500 dollars and I must admit, is not worth it. This van is by far the worst investment I have ever made, and I do not recommend buying one. Thank you.

- Warminster, PA, USA

May 302003

Windstar 6-cyl

Continual problems with interior lights and locks because of the door ajar monitor. Have to use passenger side door to enter because drivers door normally sets it off, and have to unplug battery to let system reset, so battery does not go dead which normally takes a couple of days. Locks will lock and unlock on their own while driving. Door ajar will also activate with the other doors on its own while you are driving. This has been happening for at least two years. Everytime I wanted to take it to the dealer, it would stop and the dealer said they could do nothing unless it was happening at the time.

- Social Circle, GA, USA

Apr 252003

Windstar 4-cyl

My 1998 Windstar caught fire today. The fire appeared to start in the driver's door lock component. The entire driver's seat was destroyed, the windshield melted and cracked and the ceiling and dashboard melted. The entire van is smoke-damaged. The van had several auto-lock, instrumentation and door ajar problems which had been addressed by the dealership.

- Winterville, NC, USA

Feb 282003

Windstar 6-cyl

Door ajar bell and lights do not go out, locks do not work properly in passenger rear door. Doors close fine but bell and lights persist at all times. Fuse had to be removed for night driving and to prevent a dead battery. I cant hear things around me outside due to door ajar bell. Bell tone is loud and causing headaches.

- Deale, MD, USA

Jan 282002

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS system is constantly malfunctioning, brakes give out, traction control is turning off and on. Drivers side lock does not work with alarm remote.

- Lomita, CA, USA

Jan 012002

Windstar

1998 Ford Windstar; front brakes seem to have continuous shimmy; passenger side door lock uncooperative unlocking with remote; engine light off/on often, doesn't seem to be a reason; electrical panel malfunctioning after 104,000 miles, (engine light constantly on, ABS light on, trac light constant flashing, and fuel gauge not reading gas in tank)

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Jan 312003

Windstar 6-cyl

After stopping a my van, the interior lights do not turn off and the dashboard shows an open door although all doors are closed. The beeping noise indicating the door is opened continues to make noise. The doors no longer lock. This condition continued even when the car is running. The dealer said to just remove the interior bulbs or just pull the fuse. When the dealer pulled the fused the brake lights no longer worked and the car could no longer go out of park but the interior lights went out. The dealer said I must start the car with gear shift half way between park and neutral. The dealer said this is a very unique problem and is caused by something that I did. I stated that's absurd. The Ford dealer mechanic then said it must be one of sensors probably the drivers door. Now I see there are others that have the exact same problem. This is a very serious and dangerous problem.

- Union, NJ, USA

Jan 152003

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light comes on intermittently and red brake light stays on constantly. While this is happening, the rear windshield wiper will not shut off, and the front windshield wipers do not work. The check engine soon light is constantly on. The turn signals are blinking rapidly or not working on some occasions. My warranty has expired as of last year. The transmission has already been rebuilt and we had problems with the door ajar warning lights not going off and the door lock motor had to be replaced because at first they were locking on their own repeatedly. I feel like these were all a result of wiring problems, but we had such a hard time getting all of the other things repaired that I'm not looking forward to going back to the dealer again, especially since the warranty has expired. This vehicle has been a lemon the whole time we have owned it.

- Fairdale, KY, USA

Dec 232002

Windstar

Consumer called complaining about the recall received on the vehicle. Also stated that she had this problem but the dealer never paid attention to the complaints.

- Crown Point, NY, USA

Aug 192002

Windstar

Consumer states the vehicle has electrical problems.

- Colonia, NJ, USA

May 292001

Windstar

Vehicle would not start, took vehicle to Firestone and they replaced the starter. 5 days later, vehicle would not start. Firestone stated it was the pin switch that drained the battery. Consumer states that the transmission failed at 81000 miles.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Jan 012002

Windstar

Courtesy lights will intermittenly work. They will come on when driving at night, or sometimes they will not come on at all. Experiencing other electrical problems with the reverse lights, interior lights, automatic door locks, door check light, and signal lights operating intermittently, consumer states that the engine is noisy and the engine check light is always on, the seat belt is loose, passenger side arm rest is loose, and the back window wiper is inoperative.

- Loudon, CA, USA

May 221999

Windstar

Various problem with power lock locking by itself/windshield wipers working intermittently/dome light not operating, and door ajar light staying on. Vehicle been in / out of dealer shop on several occasions, and problems still reoccurring. Possible electrical problem with failure of power locks, windshield wipers, dome light, door ajar light, door ajar switch, lift gate door ajar switch, battery saver relay inoperable, and washer light illuminating. Brakes noisy at times, dealer stated this was due to brake dust. Power steering is noisy when turning back and forth, dealer replaced tie rod end. Sliding door rattles while driving over bumps, dealer added foam tape to back side of panel, driver door rattles, sliding door hard to open at times, dealer lubed sliding hinges and latch. Dealer replaced shocks due to rattling noise when riding over bumps. Drivebelt replaced. Maf sensor replaced due to hesitation. Window guide did not fit tight.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Dec 141999

Windstar

Vehicle has been in the shop seven times in a two and a half years. Repairs included transmission replacement, brake calipers replacement, and the electrical system problems.

- San Pedro, CA, USA