2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 12 of 12)

Jun 012007

Windstar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the brakes made a loud grinding noise and then failed while driving 5 mph. The failure has caused two crashes. For both crashes, the contact had to apply the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer both times as well. The dealer has been unable to determine the cause of failure and stated that the failure was impossible. The VIN, engine size, and purchase date were unknown. The current mileage was 110,000 and failure mileage was 109,500

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 102006

Windstar

1) none. 2) multiple occasions failure of the brakes occurred after the vehical came to a compete stop. Car shutters at 40,50 and 60 mph. Several mis-accidents occured. These were diverted as our habits were altered to stop a minimum 10 feet from traffic and travel 10-15 mph less that posted. 3) replacement of the complete break system, pads, cylinders, lines, rotors and all computers to include fuses. All factory parts.

- Montpelier, VA, USA

Jan 012001

Windstar

(1) I had various problems with the braking on the van starting about 4 months after I bought it with. Nothing really lead up to the failures. (2) brakes would fail for no apparent reason. It was usually after I would hit a slight bump in the road while lightly applying the brakes. I would feel as the antilock brakes would kick on for no reason. The brakes would not recover until they were released and pressed again. Several times I would have hit someone if they were in front of me. (3) I sent many complaints to Ford, the dealerships, etc. There policy was if they could not reproduce the problem then they couldn't fix it. I could not reproduce the problem either. This would just happen out of the blue. I have had witness in the van when this happened. Ford denied two dealers from working on the van (even though it was under warranty) because the dealer could not reproduce the problem. About 6 months ago I replaced the shocks and tires on the van. This problem has not happened since then. I did everything I could think of to have someone help me with this problem. Talked to Ford, dealers, filled out similar forms on auto safety websites, etc. I am truly disappointed that no one ever looked into this problem. If this is happening on other Ford Windstar's then there are some very serious safety issues that need to be investigated.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

May 052003

Windstar

Consumer states that the brakes failed causing the driving to throw it neutral to stop the vehicle.B please provide any additional information.

- Plainview, NY, USA