2001 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Mar 052005

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar and the ABS/brake warning lights on the dash keep coming on.

- Neenah, WI, USA

Mar 302011

Windstar 6-cyl

2001 Ford Windstar ABS lights and brake light constantly comes on and won't go off, I'm starting to worrry is this dangerous. Also there is a major concern over the back up lights come on when the vehicle is turned off.

- New York, NY, USA

Jan 022011

Windstar 6-cyl

My 2001 Ford Windstar has issues with wiring up under dash.the plugs don't want to make good connection loses all functions on instrument panel.

- Forest City, NC, USA

Dec 012010

Front end steering, disturbing front end frame sound, ABS lights noticed ABS braking problem, brake light, od light, interior lights flash on and off intermittently when driving. Have to cut the van off and restart for to stop that only last awhile..took into dealer for recalls still dealing with electrical problem so forth. I never been so scared of an vehicle in my life.

- Mi, MI, USA

Jul 042010

Windstar 6-cyl

There has not been an incident or crash, but the ABS, trace off, and brake! light all come on at once. Anti-lock brakes and traction control do not function when this happens. It has occurred intermittently for about a year, but happens almost constantly now. The lights would go off after restart, but now come on almost immediately, and stay on in spite of a restart in cold or hot weather. The Ford dealership says their diagnostic code indicates a need to replace the "ABS module" at a cost of nearly $1300 with labor on my 2001 Ford Windstar LX minivan which now only has 60,000 original miles. I goggled this problem and found a site at that discussed my problem.

- Shelley, ID, USA

May 152009

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake and ABS lights up at operating temp. Computer shows several unrelated trouble codes. Dealer stated a bad module.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Apr 202009

Windstar 6-cyl

The dash lights for the ABS and brakes keep coming on while driving. There has not been an accident yet, I would like to prevent this from occuring.

- Martinsville, OH, USA

May 042008

Windstar 6-cyl

Interior lights come on at random, driving at night causes problem.

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Apr 152010

Windstar 6-cyl

Driving Ford Windstar van in warm weather. ABS failure light illuminates on dash on a daily basis in summer. Downloaded error codes; cleaned ECU for ABS.

- League City, TX, USA

May 102010

Windstar 6-cyl

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar that has problems with the "brake" and "ABS" lights coming on 95% of the time. The issue has been checked by no less than 2 shops and both have determined that the issue is a faulty ABS module. After some online research I have found this to be a very common issue and I believe that it should be investigated. The ABS not working properly can result in issues when trying to stop in inclement weather.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Oct 262010

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that she noticed smoke emitting from the instrument panel. The brake and ABS lights then illuminated. The dealer stated that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 148,000. The failure mileage was approximately 147,000.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Jul 042009

The ABS light and brake light both came on simultaneously. After turning engine off and on, indications returned to normal. Happened again a few months later. Dealer's service writer dismissed it. Now is happening regularly; sometimes multiple times per day. Checked brake fluid level and it appears to be okay. Brakes appear to function normally; no squeals, grabbing or sponginess, no apparent loss of braking ability. Car stops in a straight line. Brakes have been serviced.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012010

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar. When I received recall notice 09V399000 I brought my vehicle in for the repair. The issue that I was experiencing in regards to the ABS/brake lights going on while the car is in use has not been fixed. I believe that there is still and issue that needs to be addressed. This is an ongoing problem.

- Fergus Falls, MN, USA

Oct 012009

ABS light is O in my 2001 Ford Windstar even after the recall in 2009 for ABS ECM failure - ABS brake light. The light continues to stay on for the past year almost and it is causing other defects in my vehicle. My vehicle will shut down on me completely and nothing in my vehicle will work until I get a jump ad it is causing issues with my brake system and transmission!

- Dolton, IL, USA

Oct 102010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light come on when driving a few miles after starting car, anti lock brakes do not work. If you shut car off and start back up the lights will go off, they will come back on sometime or stay of for several hundred miles. There were no codes stored to bring up. The speed control deactivation switch has been change.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jun 012010

I own a 2001 Ford Windstar and approximately four months ago, the ABS light and brake light illuminated, the "O/D off" light began flashing, the speedometer died and the odometer cleared. I no longer have heat in the front of the vehicle, nor air conditioning. Approximately a week or so ago, my husband had just returned from an errand and was in the house when he heard a pop and went outside to investigate. He saw smoke coming from underneath the vehicle and immediately removed fuses from the vehicle.

- Dudley, MA, USA

Feb 122009

Windstar 6-cyl

My 2001 Ford Windstar has broken through 2 rear axles! also the interior lights blink on and off as I am driving and sometimes come on and stay on and while turned off will sometimes drain the battery and the headlights and hazard lights will blink on and off and the horn will beep. Also at times my power windows will not function.

- Brockway, PA, USA

Dec 162009

We bought van used... from beginning ABS and brake lights on dash are constantly on. I believe this is causing the also constant beeping. We have gotten a tune up, changed the brakes, oil, airfilter and had the codes checked... lights are still on and still lots of warning beeps going off !!

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

May 152009

ABS and brake lights turn on during summer months on my Ford Windstar 2001 minivan.

- Providence, RI, USA

Mar 152010

The brake pressure differential deactivation switch (scds) (2B264) located under the master cylinder (behind the air filter) developed a leak. This caused a short and a fuse trip, fuse #10 if the engine is on. This leak also caused brake fluid to wick down two wires to the ABS brake module (2C219). The fluid accumulated on the (always on) power connectors for the ABS brake system which are powered by fuses 101 and 102 and are both 40 amp. The fluid attracts moisture, road salt and leads to a fire when the fluid and moisture act as conductor between the hot leads and ground. Lights that stay on are: ABS, and brake, od flashes. Speedometer and odometer do not work. Also there is no heat or ac.

- Dudley, MA, USA