2001 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

May 182016

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. While the vehicle was in motion, an internal fire erupted near the rear auxiliary air conditioning. The controls associated with the wires and the covering were melted. The contact smelled strong plastic fumes in the rear of the vehicle. The contact pulled the vehicle over and discovered that the cover and wires melted without warning. The contact was not notified of NHTSA campaign number: 15V608000 (suspension), but the VIN was not included. The approximate failure mileage was 106,390.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Aug 282015

Windstar 6-cyl

This vehicle has shut off on me while driving several times. During the latest event which occurred while going approximately 30 mph and the minivan just shuts off without warning. There is not a stalling warning or anything. All lights appear on the dash and it is very difficult to steer the van when it happens. In order to get the vehicle to restart you have to turn it off with the key and then start it up again. I have investigated this problem online and there are many, many people complaining of this. I'm very surprised to see that a recall has not be made. With most of the complaints I've seen online many of the mechanics do not seem to know what the problem is. It's scary to see that many of us are complaining of the same thing. During some of the other incidents it also seemed to happen during lower speeds such as 5 or 10 mph however twice it happened going higher speeds, once at 25 mph and the other at 30 mph. Thank you for checking into this.

- Saint Stephen, SC, USA

Jun 272013

My 2001 Ford Windstar van started lighting up on the dash while driving then would go out, kept getting worse. Now the ABS and brake light stays on all the time, also my low tire light and there is the proper in air in tire. In April 17th 2015, my speedometer started acting up, would not register the speed I was travelling. I would shut down the motor and when I restarted moving again the needle would jump and start registering the proper speed. When I stopped again it would do the same thing again. I could put the cruise on and guess what speed I was at, I was lucky that I did not get stopped for going to fast. Lately, I have not been able to set the cruise. Today the speedometer would not work, then it came on. It is frustrating not knowing what speed I am travelling. I need my vehicle to get to doctor app'ts and grocery shopping. This is my complaint, what can be done about it.

- South Range, WI, USA

Aug 202014

ABS brake system failure, on the master cylinder there is a leak, the rear brakes fail to work at all and the ECU sensor does not work.

- Ellabell, GA, USA

Feb 242015

I bought the van from someone drove from a hour fourtyfive min away from home got almost home and the brake light came on bk light on right went out seats stop working they electrical and the heat mess up very unpleased cause I have kids I drive to school everyday

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 202014

The ABS sensor light, brake light, and other warning lights appear on the display. In doing an internet search it appears to be bad sensors and that a recall is pending. I am facing the same issues as many other people. Thank you.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jun 122013

Windstar 6-cyl

Power windows and door locks intermittently not working. Unable to unlock electrical or manual sliding locks up and unable to open door from inside. Passengers can't open door if an emergency. Electronic door locks don't function constantly.

- Defiance, MO, USA

Aug 082014

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light on dash and brake light on for no reason.

- Litchfield Park, AZ, USA

Feb 012014

The ABS light comes on frequently while driving. Sometimes it causes the regular brake light and/or low tire pressure light to come on (even though tire pressure is fine.) many times it happens when hitting a bump in the road. My dealer mentioned that the ECM module is returning many different codes with different meanings, indicating that the ECM module very likely has a bad connection on it. The dealer did not fix it yet, but warned me that I am currently driving without antilock brakes most of the time.

- York Haven, PA, USA

Aug 012006

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake failure warning lights constantly displayed in dashboard display. Brake inspections cannot determine a cause. I just learned that many other Windstar owners have reported the same problem, and that a recall for repair may be (or have been) issued.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 202010

ABS and brake light on and cruise control not working leaking master cylinder switch.

- Portage, WI, USA

Jul 252014

Windstar 6-cyl

Turned on van with all this occurring at once: "check transmission", speedometer not working (reads 0mph), "ABS" light stays on, "brake" light stays on, "O/D off" light flashing, "trac off" light illuminated, "fuel computer data error", "oil life data error", "traction control data error", outside temperature "error", odometer malfunction reads "-----------", cruise control not working, ac not cold, hot air not hot.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 142012

Windstar 6-cyl

After going through a heavy downpour at about 20mph the ABS and brake light came on. Nothing was hung up and it later cleared. We figured a sensor got wet but periodically maybe stopping quickly or even just turning off auto and restarting within 15 minutes may trigger the lights. They may stay on entire time of travel until shutting off car or they may just go away while driving. Not sure if it's a brake problem or electrical because my temp notification for outside temp also does not work and the gas gauge will sometimes report empty after filling up and also I have had issues where the cruise control can not be shut off by button. I must apply the brake to shut off the cruise control. The brake lights started back in 2012 but they all did not fail at the same time. These other things have been a problem at least since 2013. I have approx. 138,000 miles on the van.

- Belton, SC, USA

Mar 052012

Windstar 6-cyl

A few weeks after purchasing my van I had issues with my brake light and ABS light coming on while I was driving. It did seem to cause any issues and the lights when off ever time I turned my van off and then back on. A few months ago I was coming up to a red light so naturally I started to slow down when I tried to come to a complete stop I kept going. The perfect way to describe what happen, it felt like I hit my brakes on a solid sheet of ice. I could here the ABS clicking and also felt the vibration in the brake pedal. That day it was 95 degrees and sunny. I almost caused an accident and the only things that stopped me was the emergency brake. It continued to do it every time I tried to slow down to stop that I refused to put my children in the vehicle. Last week after almost causing a few accidents I ended up pulling the main fuses to the ABS. Since I have done this the only issue I have had is my speedometer acting up. I feel that Ford needs to seriously look into this issue. I have already had 5 recalls fixed on my van and this needs to be another one.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Jun 222014

While investigating the 50 mph failure of the PCM module, and the ongoing off/on action of the ABS module, I ran across what appears to be a mistake on page 43-3 of the fomoco "2001 wiring diagrams/Windstar" manual (fcs-12255-01). I exchanged several emails, case # cas-4648613-L1X1R6 crm:03259000003405, with the Ford customer relations center about this matter until they told me to contact a dealer. I sent the questions to my dealer asking for correct information, but they haven't acknowledged my inquiry. What I suspect is all Windstar's on the road today may be operating with only one-half of the scp (J1850 pwm) network operational. Now that many of the defective ABS modules are failing, are other Windstar in danger of engine failure at speed like ours? the two simple questions I asked fomoco are: 1) are you sure circuit 915 (data bus-) should be grounded at the ABS module? 2) what is the proper termination for the Ford data bus (circuits 914& 915), 120 ohms, 650 ohms, 3K ohms, what and where?

- Noblesville, IN, USA

May 232014

Windstar 6-cyl

My 2001 Windstar started having electrical problems a couple weeks after I had all the other recalls taken care of. I turned the van on and all my needles went crazy darting back and forth, and my driver door censors aren't working now. The next day was the same and my ABS and brake lights on the dash are on and won't turn off. I have also had to keep my interior lights turned off completely because at any given time my vans door censors will decided that the door isn't closed. This is the second Windstar I have owned and at this point I will never buy another Ford. The safety of my children and myself is much more important.

- Muskegon , MI, USA

Jul 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

ECU module for ABS is shorted out and causes gauge cluster to short out. This causes ABS light & brake light to turn on and all gauges stop working and they jump around. This was diagnosed by Ford dealership in wi. Said brake fluid leaks in to ECU and shorts out wires. Told me. $2000 to fix. These problems are a safety issue. ABS and speedometer and gauges don't work. Should be a recall.

- Madison, WI, USA

Aug 082013

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS, brake, and trac lights come on while driving down the road. This doesn't happen every time, but has become more frequent. Have not found a reason for it to come on, like hitting bumps or wet whether. The electrical system issues is rear windows won't open all of the time. The door locks don't work all of the time. The lights in and outside the van dim in and out.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

Well my ABS/ brake lights have been on and off ever since I bought this van and I have keep up on everything that need keeping up on. Now I am having problems with my wipers and they don't work on any of the speeds but high and next to high and the other speeds don't work. Another problem I have been having is the electronic slidding doors don't always close or want to stay shut. The doors have even tried to open when driving down the road which is very dangerous considering I have children ridding in the back of my van. I have had codes come up on my van that sound like a manufacturing problem and I have had about enough of this. I have not felt save in my van since they called me in for the recall they fixed on it at dick withems. I still think it needs an inspection by the company and they need to fix everything that is malfunctioning due to manufacturing problems. I put my children's and my life in Ford's hands when I drive this van and if anything ever happens to my children or me I will be getting ahold of Ford, my lawyer. I think that when vehicle's are built they should make sure there are less manufacturing problems as possible. Please contact me.

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Mar 162014

Windstar 6-cyl

I didn't have a crash I noticed that my ABS brake and tire pressure light was staying on and a short time after I started hearing a loud rumbling noise in the front end every time I slow an it's impossible to make sudden stops and at times my speedometer starts flickering back and forth as well as my cruise control is currently inoperable. I have limited driving this vehicle in which I purchased due to feeling it is not in a safe manner for my children to be in. I have had several shops as well as individuals that told me these areas are common to go out on this specific vehicle and that there is possible recall. I just want to be able to drive my van with out worrying if I'm going to be able to come to a stop when needed as well as not knowing if I could possible break down or something break in the front end while I am driving at somewhat high speeds. Thank you and hope to hear from someone soon in regards to this situation!

- Florence, KY, USA