2. replace subframe (1 reports)
2001 Ford Windstar suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

May 012016

click to see larger images

front subframe rotted

My young daughter and I left my mother in laws house and when I slowed down to stop at the stop sign, a loud boom and loss of steering and brakes happened. I went through the stop sign, and was able to shift it into park to stop the van from hitting private property across the road. Thank God a car was not coming. Thank God again it didn't happen 5 seconds later, we would of been on the highway(very next turn) and probably been killed and others too, again, I had no steering or brakes. The entire front axle broke off the van, which then broke the steering and brakes and who knows what else. A recall for this was done in 2006, only 20,000 miles put on the van since that. All that was done were reinforcement brackets and paint. So much for that repair. This was done by Phils Ford in Port jervis. I contacted Ford and they told me the recall was still open and that phils never closed it out. I asked if they will repair the damages from the break and they said no, just the recall. I called phils Ford and asked what they could do for me, They said they would have to see it. They told me they would call me back but have not yet, so I am going to call them tomorrow. I'll update this when possible.

Update from May 23, 2016: Ford does care although a recall was done in 2006, but all they did was paint it and supposedly put reinforcement brackets in(I didn't see any). That cheap repair could of killed us. If you own a ford windstar, beware, your life depends on it.

- , Port Jervis, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Windstar SEL 3.8L

My subframe has completely rusted out. The problem is so bad that the sway bar bracket has completely rusted away and the subframe is also completely rusted so extensively, it is ready to collapse.

- , Willowbrook, IL, USA

Feb 172011

Windstar LX 3.8L

just bought the car in excellent shape had it for a week and the front sub frame broke in half

- , Bellingham, MA, USA