2003 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 10 of 14)

Apr 142013

Windstar

Bought used vehicle from dealer and noticed the ABS/brake light was constantly on. It was "fixed" before completing the purchase. Lasted for a few days before lights came back on and stayed on. Was told it not a big deal, so I didnt worry about it. Was not experiencing any other issues until 1.5 years later when I turned the defrost fan on and it stalled the motor as I was traveling. The next weekend my husband wanted to look at it and after the van idled for a few minutes, turned on the defrost and it did not stall, called it a fluke until we popped the hood and had smoke coming out!

- Texarkana, AR, USA

Apr 152010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS ECU seemingly has failed as the "brake" and "ABS" lights come on soon after starting every time the Windstar is turned on. This was originally an intermittent problem, but is now continual. The only fix for these two lights is to repair the ABS ECU.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Mar 202012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS control module failure. Module is still defective, I have no ABS brakes and cannot get vehicle inspected due to this defect, which is estimated to cost $1000 repair. This is a well known problem with this vehicle, see www.fordwindstarrecall.info/.

- Monongahela, PA, USA

Mar 012011

Windstar

Like many other people, I have had problems with ABS and brake lights. Mine constantly come on all the time. Even when I had my brakes done, they still came on. Also my car like to idle high and my check engine light has been on forever. It never goes off, and I have had work done so there is no reason for it to be on. Now I am having problems with my od light blinking. I was on my way home from work, and the light starting blinking. All the sudden my car wouldn't move. I had to turn the car off and then back on to make it home. It was pretty scary and I have read my complaints and know that I am not the only one with this problem. Ford seriously needs to do something about these issues. I just had my transmission rebuilt last year. Right now, I would not recommend a Ford to anyone. I have read a lot of complaints and have seen some people had some pretty serious accidents because of these problems. When do you recall something?? after people have been hurt. Crazy!!

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Jan 012007

Windstar

The ABS light has come on intermittently and the ABS braking system does not work. When the vehicle is started, it takes about 2 minutes and then the lights come on. Has been doing this for approximately 6 years but Ford has refused to cover since it was out of warranty.

- Anna, TX, USA

Mar 262013

ABS comes on.

- Lynn, MA, USA

Mar 142013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light on constantly brake warning light on intermittently.

- Clinton, OH, USA

Mar 172013

Windstar 6-cyl

Both the emergency brake light and anti-lock braking light on instrument panel were illuminated within 5 minutes of having started the car. After approximately 10 minutes, all electrical appliances failed, including directionals, brake lights, etc. The engine continued to run, however it struggled on uphill climbs.

- Charlton, MA, USA

Mar 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

After driving for around 5 minutes brake and ABS lights come on.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Mar 152011

Windstar 6-cyl

After driving vehicle short time the warning light for ABS malfunction lights along w/ brake warning light. This happens intermittantly. Likely brake warning light problem is low fluid in mastercylinder yet fluid level in every case was ok. This problem is ongoing. Scan code was C1185.

- Hastings On Hudson, NY, USA

Oct 112011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and red brake light is on, was told it will eventually shut down the electrical system. I had my brakes done at Ford dealership and soon after that the lights appeared. I took it back to dealership and was told it was a sensor switch that needed to eventually be replaced and it would cost around $2000. I don't have that kind of money. Was doing some research and found out that has occurred in a lot of Windstar like mine and wondered why it hasn't been recalled" are they waiting for us to get in a serious accident before anything is done? would like feedback on this please, also my interior lights keep flashing on and off like a strobe light...is this part of the electrical problem due to faulty sensor switch? I don't understand why I have to pay out of pocket for something that is a problem with all the Ford Windstar like the one I own, if Ford is aware of this problem and why was I not contacted on this"

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Dec 202012

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS/brake lights have been coming on while driving. Lean codes P0171 and P0174 are showing. Also electrical system, mainly locks have become inconsistent. When using remote to open locks, sometimes a door lock will not open on driver or passenger side. Also, interior lights sometimes don't shut off when supposed too.

- Athens, OH, USA

Jan 072013

Windstar 6-cyl

After going about 4 miles after starting up van, ABS light comes on, occasionally the red brake light will come on too, speedometer goes crazy (up and down) and inside lights flicker at random. Seems to be some sort of electrical issue and/or brake issues.

- Franklinton, NC, USA

Feb 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving the brake light, ABS light and tracks control light all came on and it smelled like something was hot. Like wiring burning.

- Cfitrus Heights, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light came on and won't go off. Mechanic can't figure it out. Last month the brake light came on and now it won't go off either. I did some research and discovered this is a fairly common problem, leading to a potential fire.

- Pleasant Gap, PA, USA

Jan 012010

Windstar

The dashboard ABS light and brake light illuminate. This happens off and on over the past several years. Sometimes you will drive for 5 to 10 minutes and then the lights come on and sometimes they come on immediately after you start the car. When the lights are on, the ABS systems does not work. The problem has persisted so long that my dashboard brake light must be burned out because it longer illuminates, even when you turn the ignition key forward and all dash lights are supposed to illuminate. Dealership repairs were over 500. I believe this is unethical when this is a safety issue and judging from complaints online, there appear to be many people with the same problem.

- Chester, VA, USA

Jun 112012

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake and ABS warning lights come on after several miles. Repair shop says, computer indicates ABS controller failure, but once codes have been cleared, computer no longer indicated problem. However, a few days later, brake and ABS warning lights come on again, and computer again indicates ABS controller failure. And on and on.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Windstar

Brake and ABS dash lights are on intermittently.

- Chanhassen, MN, USA

Feb 012008

Windstar

ABS and brake light appears randomly especially when the weather is warmer. So during the winter months the lights are not normally on. Most of the time they appear after the car starts driving.

- Marion, OH, USA

Feb 102012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light comes on and stays on after vehicle has been driven a while and warmed up. After sitting and cooling off light resets, and then repeats to on as soon as driven to warm up again. Brakes are new, tires are new, no other apparent issues. From my understanding this is a common electrical failure in the ABS control module. (bad solder connection)" possible fire hazard"

- Mt Holy Springs, PA, USA