2. bring to ford dealer (1 reports)
  3. not covered because not a high corrision state (1 reports)
2003 Ford Windstar drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Mar 032014

18 inch crack in rear axle found when replacing fuel pump. Feds/Ford says it is not covered by recall because it is not from a high corrosion state.

- , Salina, KS, USA

Aug 202012

Windstar LX 3.8L V6

click to see larger images

rear axle cracked rear axle cracked rear axle cracked rear axle cracked rear axle cracked

There are two large cracks in the axle, one on both sides. There are also many smaller cracks on the axle.

- , Monmouth, ME, USA

Dec 222010

Windstar SE 3.6L

While having the vehicle serviced for an electrical issue the condition of the rear axle was pointed out to me. The dealer did not recommend driving it further and states that I am not a candidate for the rework kit but must have the whole axle replaced. They have set me up with a rental until it can be fixed which could be 2-3 months due to a lack of parts. They also have over 80 windstars ahead of me.

I knew of the recall and had the vehicle checked at another dealership that I regularly use two weeks prior. They informed me that I had micro cracks but that it could continue to be operated until a rework kit was available. There seems to be a lack of consistency on diagnosis.

- , Quincy, MA, USA

Sep 012010

I also brought the van in to check rear axle because I heard there was a recall issued and Ford grounded the vehicle as not safe to drive. Axle has major cracks and it is all rusted as well. Dealer doesn't have a clue when Ford will provide the parts. Was offered rental car for 30 days up to $30 a day. I can't rent a van for that. I said keep your rental and apply the $900 to fix all the rust on this POS.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

May 152010

Windstar SE

Going down the road 50 mph and the rear axle cracked on my van with myself and 2 of my 3 children in the van. Didn't realize until the next day that it was the axle. I lost control of the van but was able to regain it by taping the brake to slow the vehicle down. I drove home at 20 mph with flashers on. My husband thought it might be the wheel bearing but on further investigation found it to be the rear axle. We were very lucky that no one was killed. I have 2 children whom drive and I was very thankful neither one of them were driving at the time. I sincerely hope that Ford does a recall on this issue before someone gets killed instead of waiting until someone dies!!!!!

- , Blairstown, NJ, USA