2003 Ford Windstar electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 5 of 13)

Oct 092012

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS, traction, and brake light come on intermittently.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Dec 262007

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS control module is bad.

- Superior, WI, USA

Sep 172012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light comes on and off, drivers side window and rear drivers side wing does not operate properly, radio changes stations on its own, engine serge when in ideal, interior lights come on by themselves, noise in rear when in reverse.

- West Liberty, OH, USA

Nov 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

The rubber on the wires going to the power distribution box rubbed off and melted shorting out everything. Cased the speedometer to go out tachometer to stop working ABS and brake lights to come on and overdrive light blinks. May have cot on fire for a min I smelled smoke but went out on its own.

- Barberton, OH, USA

Sep 072012

Windstar

Interior lights went on and were flashing while driving at night.

- Belmar, NJ, USA

Sep 032012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light on constantly despite repairs.

- Hudson, IA, USA

Sep 042012

Windstar 6-cyl

The electrical system, computer, causes the dome lights to go on and off. The electric window to sometimes not work, the ABS light to come on and off, the brake light to come on and off.

- South Sioux City , NE, USA

Sep 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

Lights turn on and of inside the car. The ABS light and the brake light on and off. Windows stop working get stuck.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 102012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and brake light stay on. Have new brakes. Interior lights keep flashing on and off when driving battery light stays on. I have had battery tested.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Jun 292012

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS and brake light keep coming on. I have had several items done to fix problem including tune up, cleaning of contacts. I am now told that the ABS circuit controller may be bad. This is a $1,500 job that just may fix the problem. I have already spent about $600. Judging from the hits I get on the internet this is not an isolated problem.

- New Kent, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

Warning lights in dash come on and go off, ABS and brake light stay on, cruise control don't work every time.

- Las Animas, CO, USA

Jul 172012

Windstar

ABS and brake light will come on and off. And battery and alternator keeps going bad.

- Walla Walla, WA, USA

Sep 262010

Windstar 6-cyl

First of all there is a short located by the steering wheel around the air bag. I thought it was the battery so I changed it and a couple of days later my van would not start. I took it to the Ford dealer and they couldn't find the problem, so I took it to an old man that just did electrical problems on automobiles. He said it was a bad wire in the steering column and he said to repair it would cost a lot of money, so he bypassed some wires and I have not had any problems since, but when you open the driver side door, the door chimes, like when you leave the keys in the ignition. He only charged me $75. Also I would be driving and the interior lights would turn on and off by themselves. This has been happening for a long time. Also the ABS warning lights have been on for a while and my mechanic said it is a bad ABS steering box. To replace it would cost around $1000. I have had also the head gasket replaced because the Ford dealer could not find what was wrong with it while it was still under warranty. It was idling very rough while stopped at a light, also when in parked. It cost me about $600 to replace it. I took it to pep boys and they found out what was wrong with it. I also had the fuel pump replaced, because it kept shutting off while at the grocery stores and had it towed by aaa 3 times in about a year. Bottom line, I will never buy another Ford vehicle while I am alive. They are good for the first couple of years, then they start failing. So sad, because I have been a Ford guy for over 35 years.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Sep 092011

Windstar 6-cyl

My instrument panel keeps going crazy. The RPM needle is now pointing down into the dash. The speedometer usually is not working correctly, it will say that I am doing 20 mph, when I am doing more like 45-50. The gas gauge sometimes says that it is on empty, when I have a full tank of gas. Sometimes the needles work, sometimes they don't (with the exception of the RPM needle...it hasn't moved from that buried in the dash spot for a couple of months now), sometimes the speedometer needle goes all the way to the right and then gets buried in the dash also, so far though, each time, it has came back...even though it rarely registers even close to the correct speed. The repair for this is going to be about $700 is what I was told. I do not have that kind of money, and I am constantly praying that my 17 year old daughter who has to drive it sometimes, does not get into an accident because she is going too fast, and has no clue how fast she is actually going, or one of us may get a speeding ticket. I have looked at websites and seen that a lot of people are having these problems, so Ford should do the right thing and make a recall, before someone is seriously injured or even killed!!! also, not sure if it is related or not, but the ABS light stays on.

- Crestline, OH, USA

Feb 092011

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact attempted to start the ignition repeatedly however, the engine failed to operate. And the battery required a jump start. The failure recurred numerous times on separate occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed. There was a technical service bulletin pertaining to the defect under NHTSA item number: 636000(electrical system:battery). The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Woodruff, SC, USA

Jun 092011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake dashboard lights warning that ABS system is inoperative, speed control system also inoperative. Break pressure deactivation switch leaking oil. This leaking oil has traveled down ABS wiring harness all the way to the ABS controller. Unsafe condition. Ford dealership has refused to repair this dangerous condition as a manufacturing/design defect and stated there currently is no recall issued for this very serious problem!!

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Aug 162008

Windstar

I have had multiple problems with my 2003 Windstar sel to include complete failure of the vacuum system where brakes, power steering didn't work had to have towed. The dealership could not fix and did not have a recall. Hoses in this system kept coming off. Interior lights kept flashing on without any being turned on. Also the "passenger door is open" light stays on. Along with ABS/brake light stays on. I have taken my van in to have brakes checked. There was no problem with brakes. I have maintenance done on regular basis. Problems started with 50,000 miles. I am a single woman and need reliable transportation which this van is not. When is Ford going to recall for electrical problems" dealership is of no help, only want to charge for something they can't fix. I took to dealership when front passenger window didn't open. Dealership stated that it needed a new motor. I knew better as this had happen before. Took home and after a little bump in the road window started working again. Part of the crappy workmanship Ford used to put together. Also dealership stated there was no recall for the problem with vacuum system which I was told was a design problem. Ford needs to address all the problems associated with this model. I wonder how many others have this same problem"

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 162011

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the electrical components of the doors failed. The check engine and tire pressure warning light were also illuminated. The contact replaced the battery and the tires. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the dealer advised the contact that the 02 oxygen sensor would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired yet the failure persisted. The manufacturer was contacted and provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 101,000 and the current mileage was 102,000.

- Boynton Beach , FL, USA

Feb 012012

Windstar 6-cyl

My 2003 Ford Windstar has several problems. The ABS light and the brake light on is lit on the dashboard. The cruise control is inoperable and the power windows do not work except for the front passenger side. I am concerned because I take my 3 kids to school and back everyday.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Apr 132011

Windstar

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, all of the lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle stalled and the steering wheel also seized. The contact was unable to maneuver to the shoulder so the vehicle was stopped in the middle of the road. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that the electrical system was defective and needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced some unknown electrical components, but it did not remedy the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Big Stone Gap, VA, USA