2. replace main computer (1 reports)
2003 Ford Windstar engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Windstar:

2003 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Jul 082013

Windstar 3.8L

My van has been driving rough for awhile now. when finally I was 20 miles from my home and it just died on the side of the road, took it into the shop but they could not for sure tell me if it was just battery or alternator or both, so being a single mom of four I replaced both. But hte first alternator I put in also stop working. and again nobody could tell me why, so i than purchased another alternator but now my vans o/d light is blinking and it wont shift out of first gear. I love fords but this van is going to be the death of me!

- , Kalispell, MT, USA

Feb 222012

Windstar LX 3.2L

i bought this 2003 ford windstar 1 year ago. ive had so many problems with it something new every week, check engine light on, i went got it scanned 16 codes came up. lol mostly all sensors ive had driver and passenger wheel hubs fixed, 2 sway bars, the heat in the back of van stopped working. now its running weird at 60 miles an hour it shakes a little. i wish i never bought this peice of crap i thought fords was suppose to be good cars thats a huge joke

- , Elizabethcity, NC, USA

Feb 212011

Windstar LX V6

While driving my 2003 Ford Windstar, the check engine light would go on and the car would start running rough - like a putt putt car. Then the next day it would run okay. Then the check engine light would go on and the van would run very rough. The first time I took it to my local mechanic he changed the plugs and wires and it was okay for about a week and then it happened again - the check engine light would go on and the car would run rough. I took it back to my local mechanic and the shop replaced a coil and it ran fine for another week. After spending over $1000 dollars I brought it to a Ford dealer. They then replaced the main computer. The car has been running fine since (except now I had to have the van towed to a transmission shop - that's another complaint).

- , Levittown, NY, USA