CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Nov 122014

Acadia

Check engine lite goes on and off appears to be timing chain. We have a 2008 GMC Acadia that has had over $4000 in repairs since we purchased it in 2010. The most current is that the timing chain needs to be replaced at the cost of $3500. I have read all 167 complaints from other customers posted on the Consumer Affairs website regarding the 2007-15 GMC Acadia. I compiled a list of all reported problems by year/make other customers reported on their Acadias. GMC has extended warrantee for the timing chain for 2007 and 2009, not 2008 though. All of our previous repairs have been reported by others also. 2 of my repairs had recalls after we had paid for the repair. Have been reimbursed by GMC for parts only for stabilizer kit, power steering pump assembly and rack N pinion but not the liftgate yet. I contacted GMC customer care requesting they look into including the 2008 but was told it isn't included and all they could do is give us a $20000 voucher for a new or leased GMC. (case #8-1702070910) I tried to contact GMC at a higher level (gmprioritycare@GM.com) sending them a request to review 2008 recalls for sway bar end links. Front and back rotors, sun roof leaking, front gas struts, purge valve, vent control solenoid and amplifier. Included a copy of my repair log and summary of complaints on Consumer Affairs for 2007-15 Acadias. They responded within 36 hours by having tiffany (the original contact at GMC) telling again all they can do is the $2000 voucher. So I can only assume they did no research at all and I'm out of luck. I think GMC needs to be held responsible for their products and customers and not tell me they a man made product, they don't last forever. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, claudia ferraro 847-272-1840 work, 847-480-9739 home

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Sep 152015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving 60 mph, the oil pressure gauge needle fluctuated and the vehicle was taken to the dealer where the transmission fuse was replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Oct 182016

Acadia

2008 GMC Acadia with just over 30,000 miles started jerking a couple days ago when gears would change from first to second. I took it to my mechanic today and what do you know - I need a new transmission. I can't believe that GMC has done nothing about this after reading all of the complaints. A $3000 repair if I'm lucky. My car looks like new and is hardly driven - and the transmission goes out?? crazy

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 122016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled, the brakes seized, and the traction control and ABS indicators illuminated. The contact lost control of the steering. The vehicle was able to restart on the first attempt. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that there were no recalls for the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 131,000.

- Mount Olive, NC, USA

Sep 182016

Acadia

1) a transmission switch plate error - warranty repair (GMC never paid my hotel/rental car claim. On hwy with family. 2) transmission issue - paid close to $2000. I asked if this would lead to transmission failure; they told me no, car would be good to go.the person who helped me no longer works at the el paso dealership when I reported he tried to overcharge me. Driving on hwy in el paso with kids. 3) transmission - paid $4000+ for transmission (GMC claims not related to the previous repair); discussed with service dept if we should spend more money on the car...they told me the new transmission would work. (mileage was 125K) the transmission failed while moving from el paso to Colorado springs...no safe place to stop. 4) 2 mos later (now) - claim the timing belt failed and rh tie rods need repair and they say I declined a repair. I never discussed this needed repair and the possibility of a $2600 repair following this $4000 repair...so if they mentioned it, they never said you have $6600 worth of work in front of you. I already was concerned about paying $4000 after paying $2000. It happened on highway. GMC is more than aware of these issues with their cars and they are leaving their customers to deal with it. I have a 2002 GMC Envoy and never paid anything close in repairs. There are serious problems with this make and model. We are also a military family who travels quite a bit. We started getting errors on road trips and we even had the original warranty repair while we were out of town, causing us to be stranded on the side of the highway in the Washington DC area when our car just stopped. GMC is showing a total disregard for its customers. They are aware of these issues and they are not taking any responsibility for them. They are putting their customers in physical danger and wreaking havoc on our finances. This is disgusting and unacceptable.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 222016

Acadia

Vehicle lurches when going from 10mph to 20mph was going downhill would no longer accelerate once I was at 40-45 mph it revs up to 4 and nothing had to coast downhill turn into a parking lot and stop the car. Took it to the dealer who sold it to me and he was able to replicate the same issue under similar circumstances. The dealership will look at it but I bought it used for my family at 99,950 miles 8 days ago

- Soldotna, AK, USA

Oct 152015

Acadia

Oil changes at dealer performed every 3K miles. At 88K miles, shortly after drive train warranty expired. The check engine light appeared. Full diagnostics performed by local dealer stated timing chain buffers were beginning to fail. Est cost $3500. Advised that since the light comes on/off intermittently, okay to wait to see if problem worsens, which may be many years, if ever. At 92K miles, while on highway, the transmission wouldn't shift gears, RPM's climbed, pulled over vehicle where it stalled and wouldn't restart. Vehicle towed to dealer, where tested and determined that engine needs replacement due to loud metalic engine noise and metal shavings in oil. Estimated repairs from two GMC dealers of $6600 to $7600 for re-manufactured engine. Local dealers have stated that timing chain buffers is a very common problem with 2008 GMC Acadia and vehicle should be recalled, but is not due to the cost of engine replacement. Contacted GMC (belva - senior case analyst) to describe case and they responded that they will not assist in the repairs because: 1) vehicle was purchased used - stating that all such purchases are 'as-is' from dealer and its up to the consumer to do due-dilegence before purchasing, 2) vehicle power train warranty expired by date shortly before purchase, and 3) power train warranty is now 3 years past the date, regardless of when issue first appeared. GMC senior advisor also stated the she recently purchased a used GM product, and the engine failed shortly afterward at 100K miles, and GM will not assist her either, as that is also out of the date range of the power train warranty. Engine was manufactured in the K-GM (saint catharines, Ontario) plant.

- Stoughton, WI, USA

May 282016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle hesitated while the contact attempted to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle would not start when prompted on numerous occasions. The vehicle was diagnosed as having a faulty part within the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Apr 112016

Acadia

While driving, the vehicle began to idle sporadically. Eventually, it started to idle and not shift into the next gear. Finally, the check engine light came on. When took it to a repair shop determine the codes associated with the check engine light, and found P0700 and P0776 codes. These codes reference a well known problem encountered in the 2008 GMC Acadia. The waveplate may be broken, and cause issue in the 3rd, 5th, and R gears. So, now the vehicle doesn┐T shift into any gear, and I will have to pay out of pocket ($4K) for an issue that GM knows is an issue, and has since corrected in the later year models. I called GM to see if they would offer any type of assistance, and was told no, due to the mileage on my vehicle. I am currently at 143,000 miles. Regardless of the miles on my vehicle, if GM placed a faulty part in their vehicles, they should be required to place a recall to fix it, and not have it be the consumer's responsibility!

- Mason, MI, USA

Mar 312015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power and was no longer operable. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the independent mechanic again where the engine was replaced again. The failure recurred. In addition, the engine oil coagulated and the air bag light remained illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- St.Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 162015

Acadia

My 2008 GMC Acadia leaks when it rains, the floor boards fill with water & water comes through the interior lights causing them to shorten, blink. The power windows got stuck wouldn't go down almost smashed my kids hand. The worse part driving on interstate at 65-70 traffic slows to 40 and your vehicle doesn't go almost causing the worse accident ever. Seems this wave plate, shift solenoid is a manufacturer defect especially since I was only a few months after initial purchase and the truck was returned to dealer for same issue so that means the transmission they replaced the bad one with was so bad or reached its time out mileage. This should be a recall if it happened shortly after purchase (purchased used) then it happens again with the replacement transmission and all the threads in have read every owner is experiencing this, someone will have bad accident possibly death. Does death have to occur for us to get better resolve and make GMC take care of this. Over $5,000 was tough to christmas time

- Webster, TX, USA

Jan 032014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle the transmission would intermittently became stuck in gear and the vehicle would not drive forward or in reverse. The vehicle was restarted and operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the transmission and warmer plate needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Maineville, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Acadia

Purchased vehicle from dealer with 72000 miles with 4yr/48000 mile warranty. Warranty ran out this summer, mileage is now 133000 miles. Problem has been intermittent since early last year, but mechanics were not able to help because problems were not 'presenting' as the check engine light would go on and off at different times (just as the recalled service air bag light did!). in December 2015, the check engine began staying on all the time and the gears did not shift correctly. The tcm is messed up, which is a very common problem with all Acadias, apparently. We had a very scary issue on xmas eve with the gears downshifting while we were on the highway and it wouldn't let me go over 20mph! we took it to first dealership over an hour away and the guy came out with a handheld computer, put in on our car, said it is our tcm and $3800 to fix it. He never put anything in the computer, so we didn't have an official diagnosis. We spoke with GM and they said to get the diagnosis and they would see about helping us to cover it. So, we got the diagnosis today, it is the tcm and no help. They said it is out of warranty, GM won't cover it, it is up to the dealer to cover it, etc. We have been told so many different stories about why they won't cover it, just that they won't. our VIN number is literally 6000 off of the recall list! it is a common problem and should have been a national recall! does anyone know of a class action lawsuit? I would love to be a part of one.

- Roanoke, AL, USA

Jan 012016

Acadia

The transmission in my 2008 GMC Acadia is currently at the dealer with codes PO752 and PO700 which are the shift solenoid and the transmission control system. I was stuck in first gear driving the truck. The NHTSA reference #10052215 and tsb reference #sb-13120 explains the exact problem that occurred with my truck. GMC and the dealer are saying that I have to pay approx. $2500 which is a 65% to 35% split with the dealership ( mine being the 65%). I shouldn't have to pay for a safety issue that has been clearly identified by the NHTSA. I am just another dissatified customer with GM and would like to add my experience and truck problem to your data base. This problem has been happening for the past month or so. Also, there is already a recall that GM has sent out on the wave plates located in the transmission. Which they have extended the warranty to 10 years or 120000 miles. The wave plates are beginning to wear causing premature debris in the transmission causing the solenoids to stick. Although the dealer is saying the wave plates are not worn.

- Matawan, NJ, USA

Apr 012011

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while the vehicle in the drive position, it reversed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was due to a faulty wave plate. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Carlbad, CA, USA

May 142015

Acadia 6-cyl

Letter from congressman hudson on behalf of constituent re 2008 GMC Acadia transmission failure. The vehicle was returned to the consumer, after the repairs were completed. However, about 30 miles in route, various warning signs and messages began appearing on the dash. Some of the messages read service stabilitrak, service traction control, all wheel drive off, check right front tire pressure, and others. Including the ABS sign was flashing a scary and cautionary yellow symbol.

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Nov 102015

Acadia

Transmission started getting sluggish around 88, 000 miles. Vehicle wouldn't crank due to electrical stabilizer, now my sunroof is leaking. Dealership is going to charge me $275 dollar to unblock the sunroof drains what a rip off when this is the three time I have had the drains cleaned and the sunroof still leak. This has to be a GMC problem that they refuse to acknowledge. The transmission is still under the GMC warranty so thank god I don't have to pay out of pocket for that. The electrical modules seem to be okay for now but at any giving time the vehicle may stop working. GMC should own up to these problems and look out for their customers.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Apr 062015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the transmission was slow to change gears and there was an abnormal noise present. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and test driven, but the dealer was not able to replicate and diagnose the failure after having the vehicle for longer than a week. The contact indicated that the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Sep 202015

Acadia

Driving down the interstate when the transmission burnt up inside. The transmission shop said this was a very common issues with vehicles of the same make and model of ours. If there is so many of these going bad shouldnt this be fixed by the manufacturer"?"

- Larchwood, IA, USA

Mar 072015

Acadia 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle, and was told there were no active recalls and nothing wrong with vehicle, the dealership supposedly had took it through a hundred point inspection, immediately, the air bag light came on, it started losing anti-freeze and the check engine light came on, after several trips to the service dept at this Toyota dealership, I am still having issues, they fixed the small things like the water pump, the rear wiper blade, electrical but the engine light still comes on and I had it checked out and it is the transmission, it is going out, and the air bag (service air bag soon) is still on, but was supposedly fixed by a recall in 2011, either it was a bad part, or it was not serviced at all. I have been driving for 40 years and I have always been a loyal GM owner, especially the Buick lasabre which I drove for 15 years, but I am not happy with the quality of this vehicle and the dealership that I purchased it at, and they are rated by the BBB as a. I also do not like the fact that on GM commercials it states non GM owners, like come on in, we will take care of non GM owners but not the loyal ones. I think it very important to stick with american brands and love GM, just very dissatisfied with this one. I think GM should fix this car, the air bag and especially the transmission!!!!updated 11/10/15

- Lincolnton, NC, USA