CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 222016

Acadia

While driving the vehicle at a normal speed (55) on a highway, a dinging sound comes on and the car goes into reduced power mode, losing speed. The stabilitrak and the traction control warning comes on. This makes it difficult to cross traffic at intersections as the car will barely accelerate. There is no warning that this is going to happen. Also, the cars behind you do not know why you are slowing down. Then when you turn the car off and restart it, the lights go off and the car drives fine. After three trips to the GMC dealer, the throttle body was determined to be the problem. GMC has issued special circumstances warranty on the 2007 & the 2009 but not the 2008. I do not feel that the warranty is sufficient. I do not understand why there is not a recall because after searching the forums, I have found that there are numerous complaints with this happening. I had my grandkids in the car with me and we could have been hurt when we had the sudden loss of power we experienced.

- Mauk, GA, USA

Jan 012015

Acadia

Coming home from out of town I noticed my Acadia started jerking, yet there was no check engine light well nothing telling me that something was wrong planned to take it to the mechanic the next day, when I got up the next day to take it in it would not go in reverse and would only drive less than 20 mph suddenly the check engine light came on being my only source of transportation I towed it to a mechanic shop, the mechanic told me that it was the transmission but he could not offer a reconstructed transmission because the 2008 transmissions came out faulty that I would have to purchase a new one and that GMC knew about this so they put out in the market renews and improve ones..... total cost $3,417 not to mention interest on it due to having to borrow the money since I didn't have it. My question why wouldn't GMC put out a recall instead of improving it for the owners to purchase.

- Coalinga, CA, USA

Feb 062015

Acadia 6-cyl

My family and I were driving out of town and then started to feel the car jerk at times and then out of no were it said stability traction control off and reduced power of engine and then engine started to make a terrible noise and shaking like it was going to give out. I could barely pull over. I have taken it several times in to get checked for the stability and they can never find anything wrong and they say its one thing and all I seem to do is pay for something that doesn't need to be fixed. This same issue has happened 3 times since then.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 092015

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering failed and transmission stuck in 3rd gear from a stop, couldn't move out of the way of a car and got hit.

- Mission, TX, USA

May 282014

Acadia 6-cyl

Slowed my vehicle approaching a drive thru. I slowly began to accelerate, gas pedal went to the floor. My left foot was dangling. Vehicle's rpms and engine was roaring at maximum speed. I then placed both feet on my brakes to no avail! knew I was going to crash with no way to stop! I braced my self for the impact. My gas pedal stuck and my anti lock brakes failed. The vehicle I hit was a truck with its tail gate down. The impact pushed up his tail gate. My hood, fenders, radiator and fan belt were crushed. My vehicles bumper was not involved or damaged. Over $6,000 in damages to my vehicle and the sensors failed to register the accident, the gas pedal or the brake problem! after contacting GM corporate, they denied my claim! it was 8:45 a.M on a clear day. I am now frightened to drive my vehicle near schools or crowded places. I purchased this vehicle brand new and maintain it exclusively through our local GM dealership. I have all supporting documentation of repairs and maintenance.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jun 062014

Acadia 6-cyl

The transmission had been hard shifting from 3rd to 4th for about 200 miles. At 25 mph while turning through a very busy intersection the engine revved shifted through what felt like every gear, the car lost acceleration power; going from 25 mph to 10mph. Parked the vehicle. Restarted to find that only first and second gears worked and the check engine light illuminated. During the 200 previous miles of concern; I had heard a faint whine during acceleration. The first time any trouble occurred the vehicle was stopped behind a school bus loading and while I applied the brake (still completely stopped) the car lurched forward. I immediately shifted to neutral, not wanting to rear end the school bus.

- Grantville, GA, USA

Jul 222011

Acadia

1. accelerator pedal stuck to floor at 60mph and continued to pick up speed until driver threw car to neutral as brakes would not engage 2. air bag system has not been functional 3. TPMS is inoperable light always on 4. seats are composed of polyurethane molded foam causing an array of health issues for myself and 2 children as car gets extremely hot 5. brakes engage during high speeds randomly causing car to slide 6. heavy metals/air plane parts found in many places of car 7. fumes inside constantly improperly routed fuel/emission system? 8. transmitters, ignition will not turn over unless fm transmitter in key is attached, should not be a hybrid or grid operated vehicle. Spray foam and welded metal composed much of vehicle. Medical white packing in much of gaps with a contaminated smell 9. lots of money trying to repair damage, owner filed bankruptcy lots of medical bills. Dealers and manufacturer do nothing, I have wrote letters and many phone calls. 10. microwave effect on anyone in car along with magnetic pulls. I myself have had this car since Feb 2011. I have lost some nerve function on left side of my body leaving me with multiple scars for life down left side of body and center forehead resembling radiation burns but I never underwent radiation. I lost my hair in 2012 along with joint damages. Please do something, I am not an experiment and never agreed to be one!

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Apr 212014

Acadia

I just had the clutch wave plate break into pieces inside my transmission causing us to almost get into an accident as my kids and I were getting on the freeway. We lost our gears and had to be towed. I looked up the issue and it sounds like this is a more than common issue with the Acadia at this mileage. If this is such a well-known issue why does GM not fix this issue?

- Mead, WA, USA

Mar 192014

Acadia 6-cyl

My 2008 GMC Acadia gave me the scare of my life. I purchased my vehicle just last month and was very proud, I have been dreaming of this car for a while. However while traveling to my sons track meet my Acadia started jerking as if it was not getting any gas and the engine started making a loud humming or buzzing noises on farm market 521. The car slowed down to about 25 miles. Despite my continuing to press the gas pedal. I ended up jerking my way onward with my hazards on. I had cars screeching and flying around me. My kids and I are a nervous wreck. The 521 does not have a shoulder to pull off on. Miles later varying speeds as low as 15 and up to 35 mph I found a gas station (thank god) & pulled over. I powered down waited a few minutes then restarted the car. It started normally but I noticed I could not go into reverse while trying to leave the parking lot. I made my way forward all seemed well but 3-4 minutes into driving on 521 the same thing happened and now my check engine light is on. I started to panic I'm not familiar with the area. This is my first time here & the 521 is the only major road on my gps. I put-putted along and finally made it to the track meet in the middle of nowhere. Called my husband to come and check the car. After his look around he thinks my transmission is going out. He took the children in the Suburban while I drove slowly ahead. Then I get a new message - engine hot idle something - I freak out and pull off as soon as I could. He ended up towing me home. I am one week past the 30 day warranty this sucks. I really love my Acadia & am very possessive of her, no one else can drive her, I don't want my kids to touch her. I take excellent care of her, she is clean, driven with love, but just don't understand what happened. I'm scheduling to take her to the shop in the morning, husbands mad but I'm hoping this can be resolved quickly.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 112013

Acadia

I purchased the GMC Acadia from a dealership in kaiserslautern germany in May 2012. By April 2013 the transmission completely stopped working. At first the SUV would jump gears 6-3 sometimes 6-1 while moving at speeds higher than 35 mph. I have 3 young children and the result of such sudden shifting could have caused whiplash and did cause fear. I took the vehicle to auto schneider in weiden germany who identified the speed sensor as the problem via the computer and replaced the part. By 10 May 2013 the vehicle was completely immobile. I conducted research and have found over 1000 entries specifying that people have had to replace the transmission around 70000 miles, and sometimes twice, with GMC covering 0 costs. As a us service member I believe that the NHTSA should monitor complaints on other sites and investigate poor mechanics especially when tax dollars were used to rehabilitate GMC in 2008. Anytime there is a mechanical failure in a vehicle's transmission it can cause incident.

- Apo, AE, USA

Mar 022014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the engine rpms increased however the vehicle failed to accelerate without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was scheduled to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 75,000. The VIN was not available.

- Grafton, WI, USA

Feb 192014

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving car bucked and shifted irregularly, transmission slipped, no power, no reverse.

- Aquebogue, NY, USA

Nov 192012

Acadia 6-cyl

Warning indicators turn on for the system braking components such as ABS brake failure, traction control and loss of engine power while accelerating between 35 to 50 miles per hour. Engine power decrease and the car speed and power is decreased with the loss of engine power warning. The car would just stop at this point. I contacted onstar each time this issue occurred to a diagnostic scan and each report indicated that same warning reported on the console. After 10 minutes the vehicle would re-start and I was able to drive it. This issue has re-occurred within 2 years and the GMC service department was unable to diagnose the problem but during the latest incident the mechanic had ruled the issue as low brake fluid. I've investigated this issue online on various blog forums for the GMC Acadia with the same description of braking system failure and others report the failure as an internal braking malfunction in which the master cylinder leaks into the brake booster. I'm concerned that this problem could potential become fatal is it recurs. The GMC service department refuse to look into my concern and investigate the problem. There are no visible signs of a leak because the leak is internal.

- Pflugerville , TX, USA

Sep 112013

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle has a delayed shift into 3rd and 5th gear, with a vibration felt in those gears. Found codes P0717 P0716 for input speed sensor on transmission. It is believed the vehicle has a broken 35R wave plate and need to tare down to inspect or replace transmission at only 63,000 miles. Extremely common problem on these vehicles (please refer to GMC Acadia forums online everywhere for other victims).

- Hermiston, OR, USA

Aug 102013

Acadia

Vehicle experiencing bad transmission problems when shifting between 3rd and 5th gears. As accelerating, the vehicle begins to shift, but begins to idle and RPM's rise extremely high. Vehicle begins to slow down and finally jerks into the next gear causing rapid acceleration. This issue almost caused me to run into a car in front of me after pulling off from a stoplight. It is extremely scary to continue to drive the car, but with this being my only vehicle and I must work, I am forced to drive daily. Warranty just expired 5 months ago in March and I cannot afford to fix the problem (March 24, 2013, 5 year/100,000 mi. Powertrain). Vehicle was purchased March 24, 2008.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jul 092013

Acadia

I was at my son's baseball game and went to move my vehicle when I was pulling out of the parking lot and the vehicle started revving and would not move other than coasting (since I was on a hill). I was 3 hours from home and had to have the vehicle towed to the tune of $300 +. I have since had to have the transmission replaced. This has cost over $4500 not to mention having to drive 2 vehicles with my family since the Acadia was the larger of our vehicles.

- Sayre, PA, USA

Jul 092013

Acadia 6-cyl

About a week ago my family and I were driving home from vacation and had been on the road for about 3.5 hours. As we pulled out of a driveway about 5 minutes from our home the car engine light came one, the car would not gain speed like normal and it began to over heat rapidly. We took side roads and slowly crawled home. I took it into the shop the next day and it came back with a crack in the radiator and codes P0700 and P07016, which they confirmed to be a transmission issue and suggested to have a specialist look at it. I did some research and found that this are common codes that come back for the 2007 and 2008 Acadia's that require a rebuild/replaced transmission with an average cost of $4000. This is a known issue with GMC for many years and they have yet to acknowledge it. I am very lucky to not have had a worse incident in discovering this issue, but I am very concerned that at any moment the transmission will go out, and we do not have $4000 to drop into a new one, especially when I just spent $650 on a new radiator. These are not problems that a reliable car, the 2008 Acadia, under 100,000 miles should be having. GMC needs to own up to these issues and take action to correct it before something more serious happens.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Jul 072013

Acadia

While in traffic, my engine revved up and my vehicle jolted forward when my transmission stopped working. If anyone would have been behind me, there would have been a major accident.

- Pearland, TX, USA

May 182013

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving on a highway, the car went into neutral and lost power. After a few seconds, it went into low gear and would not shift into a higher gear. The transmission required a re-build two years earlier at 62,000 miles and is now failing again. We were told the transmission must be re-built yet again. We cannot drive the car as the loss of power and slipping transmission is very dangerous. The transmission design, and the subsequent repair by the dealer, was faulty. As our warranty expired 4 months ago, we were a new transmission was required at $4,000.

- Eastchester, NY, USA

Apr 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

While driving down interstate state at 70mph I came up on slower traffic and had to slow down to 60-65mph before I could change lanes. Once changing lanes and as I went to accelerate the vehicle seemed to downshift and RPM went from 1800-2000 to 5000 and the vehicle basically stalled for about 5 seconds causing a 18 wheeler to basically all but wreck to keep from killing me and my other 5 family members in the vehicle. I pulled over at the next exit and made sure there was no kind of transmission codes or anything to show up on the dash but I still checked my fluids and everything checked to ok. I had 325 more miles to get home so I basically had to baby it to the house. It happened several more times during the trip but that was the worst. I have also experience on several occasions that the airbag in the passenger side front seat turns itself on and off for no apparent reason with the same individual sitting in it who weighs 130lbs. At first I just thought it may have been the way they were sitting but I weigh 200lbs and it did the same with me. I'm hoping to get these problems resolved by dealer tomorrow but with so many transmissions doing the same thing the gov & GMC need to take charge of this issue and get the damn problem fixed before more people have issue and get killed or injured.

- Columbus , MS, USA