2009 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

2009 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Apr 172013

Acadia

On multiple occasions, the power steering has failed when turning the wheel of the vehicle. This specific instance, as I was trying to cross on coming traffic on a major roadway (posted speed limit 45 mph) to get into a common turn lane to merge with traffic, the steering went out as I barely made it into the common turn lane leaving me with concerns about the safety of driving my vehicle. I have concerns that the steering should be failing so quickly after 3 plus years of the life of the vehicle (bought brand new).

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

I have been having trouble with the power steering in my 2009 Acadia. It looses power for a few seconds almost every time I make a turn now. It is extremely scary if I am in busy traffic. I took it to the dealership and they said that I need to have the whole power steering parts replaced. $1700!!... which is not covered under warranty. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he said that there are more than one component for the power steering and that the dealership wants to replace it all because it is easier than actually figuring out which part is really causing the problem and just replacing that part. This is very frustrating and it is ridiculous that I can't trust the dealership to take care of the problem correctly. We have been researching and finding out that many 2009 Acadia owners are having this same issue. Obviously GMC needs to cover the costs of issues like these that are happening to not just 1 owner but several!!

- Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 182013

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving on sr at approx. 65mph when check engine light comes on and "engine power reduced" is displayed. Car slows dramatically and eventually comes to a stop. Power steering is also lost concurrently. After swerving into opposite lane, I managed to get car off to the side of road. Car was towed to dealership (courtesy GM roadside assistance). Fuel pressure sensor was replaced after finding the sensor intermittently shorting and causing the low pressure condition. The power steering assembly was also leaking. The steering gear was replaced and flushed. Exactly one week later while driving on the same sr at approx. 55mph, the check engine light came on and "engine power reduced" is displayed. Car slows dramatically and comes to a stop. However, this time I was able to steer car off the side of the road with no problem. Heavy smoke was also coming from the exhaust and the car smelled unusual on the interior. After waiting 3 hours for a tow (GM roadside assistance), the car was towed to the dealership. Two fuel injectors were found leaking (# 1 and 3) and were replaced. Fuel injectors 2, 4, 5, and 6 were rebuilt. This same vehicle had two fuel injectors (#3 and 5) replaced in August 2011 when this same chain of events occurred (previously reported). I am concerned as to why fuel injectors in this vehicle continue to fail causing the engine to flood with fuel. The safety concern is the vehicle will decelerate and stop with no warning which could cause a fatality if I were on a interstate with little to no shoulder.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

Dec 122012

Acadia 6-cyl

When trying to steer the vehicle below 5 mph's (engine below 1200 RPM), the steering wheel will lock up and is very hard to steer. My wife had this happen to her the first when she was pulling into our driveway (thankfully it did not happen in the city). She told me about it, so I then took it to town shopping. It took a while before it happened to me, but finally it did when I was making a tight right hand turn into a menards parking lot. I started the turn and notice instantly that I had no steering. I almost hit another car because I was not able to steer sharp enough or fast enough for the right hand turn. After that, I got in the parking lot and did a little testing. I figured out that the steering was locked, and if the engine was revved over 1200 engine RPM, the steering would come back slightly. After several tries, it did come back. Don't know if I can trust it to work all the time"?" it appears the problem is worse after the car has been run for a while. With cold temps it works until the steering system warms., then problem is random. Scary!!! feels like there is a flow control valve maybe that is in pump, and when it sticks open, the steering is lost at idle speeds. Not a good deal...

- Avon, MN, USA

Oct 192012

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving slow and when I went to turn the steering was extremely tight. I had told the dealership where I bought it from, from the date of purchase that something was wrong. Finally took it in on 10/19/2012 and was told it was the powersteering pump. It's over $400 to get fixed and I don't have it right now.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Jul 062012

Acadia

I had just picked up my car from having the A/C compressor and condensor replaced and I was doing a U turn into a gas station when the power steering went out. I had to manually turn the wheel. With my two children in the back I almost went into a ditch. I immediately called the dealership and took it in for them to look at. They told me that the power steering gear assembly was leaking and needed to be replaced. They found that when the ves valve was commanded shut, the valve would not re-open. The rack was also leaking on the left side. They replaced the gear assembly, set toe and flushed the system. This is a serious safety concern and should be looked into for a recall.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 132012

Acadia

I was in the middle of a turn when vehicle got very hard to control as I was finishing my turn power steering pump started working again and I almost side swiped another vehicle due to the force I had to apply to the steering wheel when pump quit working. Took vehicle to dealer and they said power steering pump was leaking and that there has been multiple accounts of this happening in GMC. They did state it was a mechanical failure in the power steering issue of the vehicle but no recall has been issued as if yet. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I see this as a very unsafe condition of the vehicle that should be looked at closely upon GMC's behalf.

- Hot Springs , AR, USA

Apr 082012

Acadia

The power steering randomly fails at low speeds. This has created several hazardous situations while making left hand turns with oncoming traffic and right hand turns at intersections with waiting traffic on the adjacent street. The car was repaired at a local shop by replacing the power steering pump. I was told this is a common problem and the new pump is a more robust design. The cost for the out-of-warranty repair was about $850.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Feb 042012

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering fails at low RPM. Engages above 1500 RPM.

- Park City, MT, USA

May 022011

Acadia 6-cyl

The headlight went out and GMC quoted me at approximately $120 to replace. Husband attempted to replace it but you had to take off the wheel in order to get to the actual light. I gave GMC the go ahead to replace and they called me back and told me that the wiring had melted and that it would now be over $300 to do it. I told them no and made a complaint. They called me a few days later telling me they would do it but I had to pay $50 deductible (assuming they went through some type of warranty). It eventually became a recall and I am now looking into getting reimbursed for my $50. Noticed my car started over heating and took it into a mechanic friend, let us know that the water pump needed to be replaced this was at approx 45,000 miles. I did my research and the GMC warranty covered the cost. At approximately 56-57,000 miles the car started making a whining noise when driven slow or first thing in the morning when it was cold. Took it in to GMC to get it checked out and it turns out that the steering rack had a leak on each side of the wheels and pinions, and power steering pump needed to be replaced. Quote almost $1500 dollars. I could not afford that price so took it back to my mechanic to see if it would be cheaper. He ended up replacing the pinions and rack but said the pump did not need to be replaced and ended paying $600 out of pocket. I'm hoping that GMC will see that many of us are having the same problem and will make it a recall. I will not be buying anymore GMC vehicles. All I want is a reliable car that won't break the bank.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 192011

Acadia 6-cyl

As per dealer SUV needs a new steering rack and a new steering pump, seatbelt retractor not functioning so airbag not working-to fix items approx $2000 this is a 2009 with 75000 miles and should not need this type of repair.

- Manorville , NY, USA

Aug 182010

Acadia 6-cyl

First problem was the timing chains needing to be replaced at 18000 miles. After that repair was made the gas mileage was averaging 11 mpg. It was a one year old car! after that, it was a multitude of problems. Steering rack/power steering replaced and 'fixed', electric stabilitrak lights going on and off, dvd player not playing properly. All things the dealer had said they fixed (after they whispered that I should not have bought an american car.) now the transmission is acting up. Rolling down an incline when I was trying to back out of a parking spot. The dealer told me it was fine and they could not duplicate the issues I was having. I've written two letters to GM corporate to complain about the sub-standard vehicle. They were helpless and will not assist in any replacement of the car. They even told me that this would be a difficult car to trade in considering the problems I have had with it. Who is kidding who? I would never recommend this car and hate to continually put my family in it.it is unsafe. Period.

- Brightwaters, NY, USA

Jul 012011

Acadia

Power steering went in vehicle going around a turn. Almost hit a tree. Complained to GMC about the danger and they did nothing. I have two small children and bought this for safety. I do not feel safe in this vehicle anymore! this has happened to several other 2009 Acadia owners as well. GMC knows about it, but has not recalled the vehicle or let people know the dangers of this.

- Bloomingburg, NY, USA

May 202011

Acadia 6-cyl

2009 GMC Acadia; steering rack failure. This is the third failure since taking delivery of the vehicle in January 2009. Dealer will repair under warranty however, the replacement parts are clearly not fixing the problem. Possible loss of vehicle control when the rack fails completely and suddenly. More often, the rack will leak internally giving owner "time" to repair. NHTSA needs to investigate as the cars affected are numerous. They include the Acadia, the Saturn outlook, Buick enclave and a similar Chevrolet model (lambda chassis) that utilizes the same component. Additionally, what happens to consumers once the warranty expires and the repeated failure occurs once again? this is my third failure in only 32,500 miles.

- Old Bethpage, NY, USA

Apr 032011

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering stopped working while turning at red light if you rev up engine you can turn at idle no power steering pump jerks and spits fluid out ordered new pump call GM they say they know but its not there problem when are going to fix there problem when some one gets killed this vehicle only has 43,000 on it.

- Caldwell, OH, USA

Feb 102011

Acadia 6-cyl

I own a 2009 GMC Acadia fwd slt-1, the vehicle was purchased new. We had minor issues with the vehicle and until recently, were very satisfied with the build quality, performance, and the vehicle overall. While en-route to pick up our kids, the power steering appeared stiff. There was no power assist of the steering at low / idle engine speeds, which made slow maneuvering extremely difficult, if not impossible. The performance of the power steering became worse and worse, to the point where my wife felt unsafe driving the vehicle. She was uncomfortable turning at intersections, and maneuvering in slow-speed conditions such as parking lots. We immediately scheduled a service appointment with our local dealership. The service team advised us that the steering pump needed to be replaced. The dealership declined to repair the vehicle at their cost because it was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was purchased on 9/30/2008; it is only two and half years new with 46,491 miles. It is disappointing that the vehicle would require such a repair. You may or may not be aware that this defect with the power steering pump is being reported by many Acadia owners. In addition, there is an issue with the steering rack that was documented in a service bulletin. We informed the service area of the unusual noises but they stated that there is no clear connection with this repair. At this time, they recommended replacing the steering pump at a cost of $522.16. This is clearly a design/manufacturing part issue; GM should publish a service alert to warn owners of this known issue that can lead to serious injury if failure occurs.

- Florham Park, NJ, USA