2010 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Acadia:

2010 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 112016

When I need to drive from a slow speed to a high speed like when entering a freeway the RPM's start going crazy. When I press on the gas the car barely moves and the RPM's go way up and don't stop until I pull over. I had a car behind me that almost crashed into me because my vehicle would not accelerate. I took it to a repair shop and was told that it needs a new transmission and this vehicle is known for having a bad transmission. Turns out that there was a recall for the same issue on the 08-09's and mine is a 2010 that recall was #14404 special coverage transmission clutch wave plate. I am sure that this one needs to be recalled as well. This is a huge safety hazard someone could get hurt really bad.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jul 292016

Engine light prompted a trip to the GMC dealer to have the vehicle checked out. We were told it was the timing chain and it was a know problem, however GMC is not covering it.also transmission is slipping and needs to be replaced GMC Acadia are known for both problems and will not's going to cost around $5,000 to fix both these need to be recalled, I had a case open with GMC and they will cover nothing. Worst SUV ever

- Bellevue, IA, USA

Jul 222016

At 80,000 miles, after pulling out of parking, when I applied brakes the car started making rumbling noise from the engine and lurched forward despite pressing on brakes to stop. Pulled into a parking spot, while continuing to fight lurching of vehicle and turned car off to check engine oil, transmission oil, and power steering oil levels. All were fine. When attempted restart of vehicle, loud rumbling noise from engine, check engine light flickered and the car failed to start. Required a tow home from 100 miles away and $400. Hooked up obd, and received the following faults P0008, P0303, P0305, P0017, P0300, P0301. After researching on-line, common faults for timing chain issue estimate $3-4 thousand repair. Also, found 2007-2009 Acadia received extended warranty for same issue. However, 2010 not covered despite finding approximately 15 identical 2010 GMC Acadia on NHTSA site. I will be calling dealership first workday, however expect to be told timing chain issue based on codes and that GMC will not cover the repair since I am outside of the 5 year warranty, despite less than their 100,000 mile coverage.

- Yelm, WA, USA

Jul 012016

Transmission control modual and the wavy plate- transmission rebuild- transmission failure

- Haysville, KS, USA

Jun 202016

While in drive, going uphill, for example an up ramp in a parking garage, the car rolls backwards if I take my foot off the brake. It has always rolled a bit before catching in the past, but now it will roll back without stopping if I release the brake.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Apr 142016

Engine light prompted a trip to the GMC dealer to have the vehicle checked out. We were told it was the timing chain and it was a know problem, however GMC is not covering it. What" really" so, we have to pay 3000 bucks for GMC known problem. Never buying another GMC.

- Maple Valley, WA, USA

Mar 022016

GMC knew of timing chain issues for 2007-2009 and extended the warranty for 10 year 120,000 miles. They continue to have the same timing chain issues through 2010 models and will not replace them under this warranty. My Acadia is 2010 model, but manufactured in 2009 and GMC will not assist with the replacement of the stetched timing chain. They pride themselves for "consumer satisfaction protection" but will not stand up to their product under for issues they are fully aware of.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Feb 222016

The cam shaft engine correlation code indicated stretched timing and chain guides. Extended warrantees up to 10 years and 120,000 miles have been offered for 2007 and 2009 GMC Acadias with the same problem. To date they have not been offered for the 2010 model even though it's the same issue. Mine failed at 51,000 miles. Had to have the timing chains replaced. Dealership repaired with GM paying half. This should be a recall due to the fact my car was manufactured in 2009 and should fall under the above mentioned recall as the failure is for the same reason. I am concerned why special coverage #11340 does not apply to 2010 vehicles of this nature as there are many issues with this that have not been resolved in the 2010 vehicle.

- Maple, GA, USA

Feb 012015

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the transmission failed. The vehicle lost acceleration and emitted a whining noise. The failure was experienced numerous times. The dealer diagnosed that there was a failure code related to the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Oct 212015

Timing belt issues!

- Waterford, MI, USA

Oct 032015

Transmision slips in drive on hills. It actually rolls backwards when you take your foot of the brake. Even when the transmision is in gear

- Warren, MI, USA

Jan 052015

Acadia 6-cyl

I have a 2010 GMC Acadia. Several months ago I received the GM special coverage extended warrant letter # 14329. At that time, I had already noticed extreme difficulty in turning the wheel at low rates of speed and brushed it off as probably needing power steering fluid I also noticed a "whining" noise along with this action. I began to worry as the matter kept worsening and already still had trauma from a prior accident in 2010 which left me to purchase this vehicle in 2011 which I thought would be a more safe stable vehicle for me. Upon a few weeks later, while trying to make a left hand turn maneuver, the steering wheel completely "locked" up! luckily, no oncoming traffic was in sight, otherwise, I would have been unable to get out of the way as I was in the middle of the highway! I immediately contacted the dealer and explained my issue and named the letter I had received a few months prior. Thus, an appointment was scheduled. I took my vehicle in on that specific day. The dealer contacts me to inform me that the pump was covered in the warrant but not the rack which they said was leaking on both sides (which is the most expensive part). My out of pocket expense of $1200 after labor and the alignment!! all the parts of the power steering system should be paid for all expense by GM!! this is a tremendous safety issue and peoples lives are at danger! no one has $1200 to just drop on auto repair and I had to take out a loan!! what is GM waiting for hundreds of deaths?!! there's already a class action lawsuit filed GM 4-1-13. GM needs to reimburse me and all others!! GM's CEO's need to do a major recall and take care of their customers. This is no joke and an extreme hazard! I'm also filing a complaint with GM as well.

- Printer, KY, USA

May 152012

We bought our 2010 Acadia certified used with 60,000. Water pump went out, navigational system stop working and I noticed a hesitation in shifting from time to time but not consistent. This all right after purchasing. The dealership fixed water pump as it was still under warranty. I took the vehicle in for a recall notice and asked if they could find what was wrong with the dvd/cd player, was told I needed a new radio. I also told the mechanic I thought something was wrong with the transmission, that issue was not addressed as though I hadn't mentioned it. So I went online to see if I could find a way to fix the dvd/cd player myself and that's when I found all these other Acadia owners with the same I thought it best to get rid of this time bomb before its too late. Went to trade it in on a used vehicle, salesmen drove it, brought it back and told us they would have to take 3000. Off for bad transmission. I contacted GMC all they would do was give us 2000. Toward a new or lease vehicle. This is a defect in manufacturing, its not a quality product as we thought we had purchased. This is the way of the world today, no accountability, no ethical responsibility. Its your problem GMC, fix it!!! I am looking to get a class action lawsuit started.

- Memphis, MO, USA

Jan 012014

I have to keep adding power steering fluid to my car. I have been told that my power train will need to be replaced and that GMC is aware of this problem with the Acadia's and refuses to fix the problem.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

May 012014

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. While making a left turn at an unknown speed, the vehicle jerked violently and the steering wheel seized. The contact had to forcefully turn the steering wheel. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Ocean City, NJ, USA

Jul 212014

After my 2010 Acadia sat in a hotel parking lot for 19 hours after a drive from san diego to Kansas City, it overheated the minute I started it. The air started blowing warm air, it stated "powering down engine", & the temp gage maxed out. I immediately turned off the car. At less than 36K on a car that has been driven minimally, this should never happen. And now.... since it is "over 3 years old", it's probably not covered. $40K vehicle with 30K miles on it and already overheating? we had our vehicle for the last 2.5 years in Hawaii, so it's not a climate problem. :-/

- Fort Riley, KS, USA

May 172014

The contact owns a 2010 GMC arcadia. The contact stated that while traveling 20 mph, the power steering failed and there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission and system fluid needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 54,000.

- Somers, CT, USA

Mar 192014

This has happened several times since I've bought this truck last year. Right after I bought it, I had to pay out of pocket to have the power steering box replaced ($1200) since then, while driving my steering gets hard to turn either way and the engine even stopped running a few weeks ago while on the interstate, I had to pull off the road. The truck also makes a popping sound while turning too. Since I have bought the truck, I have had nothing but problems, within 2 weeks of buying it, I had transmission leak and oil leak that had to be fixed. I want so bad to get out of this truck. I am the sole provider in my home, single mother of 3 kids and this vehicle is used for our daily commutes and my job. When slowing down to come to a stop the truck also lunges forward a few times before stopping completely. Also when going down the road the RPM will lunge up for no reason and you can hear it like it is trying to shift to a higher gear or like I have pressed the gas, which I had not.

- Pembroke, GA, USA

Aug 222008

Acadia 6-cyl

Car rolls back when on a hill while in drive at traffic light or stop sign.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Apr 252011

Acadia 8-cyl

While accelerating on the entrance ramp for central expressway, hwy 75, it became very sluggish, and all of a sudden had no pick up. I nearly got rear ended by a fast truck! since April of 2011 I noticed that it had no pick up. The problem seemed to go away, when I learned to not accelerate too much to enter the highway, just gradually vs in a hurry. Then today, Sept 2011, while driving at apprx 45 mph on a busy road, the car seemed to pull back, and the traction light comes on, and beeps at me. It was a sunny, dry day. I pull over in a parking lot, turn off the engine, to get something out of my trunk, and it would not open - and, no, the override button was not on. Weird. I start the car, and the problem goes away, and I drive safely back to my destination. Why does the problem always exist when I am by myself, and watch, when I take the time off to bring it to the dealership, everything will be just fine. I pray that I make it to the dealership and they diagnose some sort of defect and fix it because it still is under warranty. I cannot bear the worse case scenario of anything happen to my family.

- Allen, TX, USA