2011 GMC Acadia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 GMC Acadia:

2011 GMC Acadia Owner Comments

Feb 132016

Acadia

Can started to smoke. Panel stated reduce engine. Couldn't go over 20mph. Car broke down with two kids in car.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Feb 092016

Acadia

While driving this morning I had a series of messages appear : "traction control off", then "service stabilitrak" and then very soon after "reduced engine power". the car would still run, but would not go above approximately 20mph and struggled to maintain speed. At one point had to pull over and turn engine off to almost "reset" car to be able to continue driving to destination. This is the third time that this has happened and have had to take to the shop. I have small children that are typically in the vehicle when this happens and am concerned for their safety if this issue cannot be resolved.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Mar 022015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the service engine soon, service traction control, engine reduce power warning lights illuminated and the vehicle speed decreased to 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,988.

- Miami, AZ, USA

Dec 302014

Acadia

Ses light came on, trac control light came on/ vehicle lost power. Traveling southbound on state route 83 near wooster, Ohio two lane highway with nearly no pull offs. Lost power going up hill. Went from 55mph to barely 20 mph within seconds.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Sep 022014

Acadia 6-cyl

Began hearing whining noise and thought it was in the engine or transmission. Took it to dealer and was told it was the power steering pump and rack and was not covered under power train warranty. I just had the "numerous" recalls repaired and now this. According to many posts on various websites, this is a common problem with GM products. Repairs are costly and should be covered under warranty, or should be recalled! this is ridiculous considering the cost of these vehicles.

- Crystal Springs, MS, USA

Feb 282014

Acadia 6-cyl

Service stabilitrak, and the engine power low warning lamps illuminated followed by the vehicle slowing to 20 mph. Vehicle taken to the repair facility where the technician diagnosed that the throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. This same incident occurred several times previously. Engine reverting to low power is a hazard and safety issue.

- Margate, NJ, USA

Jan 282014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2011 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the traction control, service stabilitrack, and the engine power low warning lamps illuminated followed by the vehicle stalling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 52,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jun 022013

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving 40mph, accelerated into the left lane to pass. Removing my foot from the accelerator, my vehicle continued to accelerate with the pedal moving to the floor. After repeatedly stomping the brake and depressing the "cancel cruise" control button, I was able to regain control of the vehicle before hitting the vehicle ahead of me. This happened about 3.5 hours into a 9 hour trip, so the vehicle was warm. I was able to repeat the condition 4 times. Twice with the cruise on but disengaged and twice with the cruise turned off. I discovered that stomping the brakes or depressing the cancel cruise button cleared the condition. After a couple of stops, condition occurred a 6th time as I attempted to pass a vehicle going 50mph. As I depressed the accelerator, the symptom recurred with my vehicle accelerating to 80 mph before continually depressing the "cancel cruise" button released the stuck accelerator. On 3 June, took the vehicle to the dealer service department. Neither dealer tech nor I could reproduce the problem.. thinking vehicle temp coud be the difference, I left the vehicle with the technician. He drove it for 3 hours and approximately 150 miles and could not replicate the problem. Dealer opened GM technical assistance case (71-1189923303) and allegedly GM has no record of similar problems. The dealer had no recourse but to return the vehicle to me. I called GM customer assistance and registered my concern. Several days later, GM customer assistance called saying that GM had no record of similar incidences but had logged another vehicle service request (71-1191383116). I questioned this revelation as I had found several documented similar cases with Acadias on edmunds.com. My wife normally drives this vehicle. I am unsure how she would have reacted had this happened with her driving. It is definitely a major safety concern.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Sep 262012

Acadia 6-cyl

When I tried to park my 2011 Acadia sle, the accelerator became stuck causing the front of my car to crash into a health club wall. When I saw people running inside the health club I thought I had rolled over someone. So, I tried to back up and when I put the car in reverse it shot backwards with a rolling force and hit an iron post. To keep the wheels from continuously rolling, I had to slam the gear into park and turn the ignition off. I believe this accident should be investigated further before someone else is injured or killed.

- Slaughter, IL, USA