5.0

2013 GMC Acadia electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 GMC Acadia:

2013 GMC Acadia Owner Comments

Apr 042016

Acadia

Vehicle has approx 60K miles, blind spot sensor stopped working suddenly. This is a hazard as the driver comes to depend on this indicator and it goes out suddenly with the location of the sensor under the wheel well/bumper. Resulting cost to repair was over $600 (for passenger side) at the dealership. And I was told it was likely that the driver side would go out next year. The design & where this sensor is placed is particularly problematic for low temp states as the sensor is plastic, gets water in it and freezes and bursts open the plastic container. This is particularly concerning when it goes out while driving - the driver comes to depend on the sensor lighting up the mirror when someone is in your blind spot and this SUV has a particularly large area where cars can not be seen. This is a hazard and should be recalled due to the design of this. As consumers, we should not bear the cost of this repair due to a horrible design. I have the actual module that was replaced or can provide pictures upon request. I can also supply a copy of the repair bill if someone wants to reimburse me the cost of this repair.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Apr 012015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2013 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to the dealer who stated that the failure was contributed to the faulty electrical system. The vehicle was currently being diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Aug 052013

Acadia

The contact owns a 2013 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the lights on the instrument panel flashed and the engine stalled. The vehicle restarted after numerous attempts. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V614000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was approximately 2,000.

- Breckville, OH, USA

Mar 132013

Acadia 6-cyl

My vehicle has completely shut off 4 times in the past 2 years while driving, thank god there was no accident. Also my power door locks have locked and unlocked repeatedly by themselves without pressing any button in vehicle or key fob. The locks will go up and down until I shut the car off and then restart. The locks has happened 6 times. Also, my electric power steering gear(rack) needed to be replaced at 30000 miles. There were 2 recalls one for airbags and one for seatbelts. This vehicle is unsafe and frankly dangerous, thank god it never shut off on a highway. I have brought it to two different GMC dealer service centers and they can not diagnose or recreate the problem which means they cannot fix these problems. I don't know if this is isolated to just my vehicle or this is a problem related to this particular model and year car. I do not feel safe driving this car, please help us. Thank you.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Nov 192013

Acadia

After I returned home from a short 5 mile drive in the evening on 11/19/13, I shut off my 6 month old car in the driveway and smoke began pouring out of the hood and sparks and fire were coming out below the engine. I called 911 and by the time they arrived about 5 minutes later it was a full blown, roaring fire and the entire front end was consumed. My driveway suffered burn damage as well. Thankfully nobody was hurt. GMC has been awful to deal with. They have not replaced my vehicle, not repaired my driveway and have stopped returning my calls. The fire inspector said it was their fault and thinks it stemmed from the heating element that heats the windshield fluid. They are still doing more testing to get the final results though. I feel helpless and totally ignored by GMC. I have tried everything to get through to them and simply to get my car replaced and my driveway repaired because of the faulty product they sold me. Their customer service is terrible and I will now never purchase another car from them and will spend as much time as I have sharing this incident with others considering purchasing one of their vehicles. I have a video of the whole thing I am happy to share.

- Wilton, CT, USA

Sep 162013

Acadia 6-cyl

While dropping off some kindergarteners after a playdate, I was parked in my friends driveway and left 2 children in the car with the doors closed. As I stood there with my friend next to the car, I noticed flames shooting out the front left passenger tire. We got the kids out, the car was filling with thick smoke, and turned off the ignition. We called 911 and the fire department arrived within 4 minutes and were able to put the fire out and disable the battery. GM had the car picked up and dropped us a brand new 2014 Acadia a few weeks later at no charge. We were told it was an electrical problem with the windshield wipers but I wanted to be sure this incident was reported since no one asked for a formal report. I just want to be sure this doesnt occur to any other families that may have worse consequences.

- Westport, CT, USA