2003 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 GMC Envoy:

2003 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 052011

Envoy 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the instrument panel gauges would fail sporadically or provide inaccurate readings including the speedometer and the fuel level gauge. The vehicle was neither inspected nor repaired for the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000 and the current mileage was 110,000. Updated 5/2/11 updated 05/11/11

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 282009

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

Instrument panel cluster is failing. My speedometer has totally quit gas gauge is starting to fail also. I checked on the internet and found that GMC has admitted the stepping motors are defective, on the instrument panel cluster gauges for my 2003 GMC Envoy. A class lawsuit has been filed, according to the internet.according to the internet, this is a common problem for 2003-2007 GMC's. the cost of the repair is appx. $800. I cannot afford this repair. I am forced to drive without knowing my correct speed, due to the speedometer not working. Soon I will not much gas I have in my GMC. According to the internet my other gauges will soon fail. I purchased my GMC brand new for $38,000. I feel my GMC Envoy is unsafe, due to the reasons I have just listed. I feel GMC should pay for this repair as, it is unsafe for me to operate the GMC like this. I would like to be included in the class action lawsuit. The failure is speedometer. This could cause my to drive over the legal speed limit with out my knowledge, which is unsafe. I have done nothing to correct the failure as yet. At this time I cannot afford the cost of the repair.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Nov 012008

The contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the speedometer had not worked since the vehicle was purchased, and recently all of the gauges on the instrumental panel failed to function. The manufacturer stated that warranty had expired and the vehicle was over 70,000 miles; however, the manufacturer had offered to assist with the repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 66,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Fort Mill , SC, USA

Jun 112010

My vehicle was making a jet like sound on start up and while driving and eventually the check engine light came on. It also was making a clicking sound from the electronic heating unit. I took it in to a certified GMC dealer and they said the clutch fan needed to be replaced (expensive repair). Could not tell where the clicking was coming from at the time (1/6/11 clicking will not stop - ended up being a door actuator). I did some research on these problem and they are very common in these vehicle. I called GMC customer service to make a complaint because at a little over 59000 miles these parts should not have gone bad. I wish GMC would consider a recall on this problem as well as other major things.

- Richmond , VA, USA

Nov 302010

I have a 2003 GMC Envoy. At first my RPM needle stared to move up faster then what I was going for about a month. When I shut the engine off it sounded like it was letting out a vacuum noise. Now it's been a month and a half and my mph is not working. It seems to be stuck on 80 mps while I'm setting and goes past 120 while I'm driving. Also the gas gage is not working right. It doesn't register the right amount of gas that's in the tank. I hope soon there will be a recall on the electrical cluster, because each gage is going out one by one. I hope this would be a vehicle safety hazard since you need to know what speed you are going. Thank you

- Ralston, NE, USA

Feb 282010

Hi, I am driving a 2003 GMC Envoy. I bought new back in 2003 within the last 2 months the tachometer and speedometer has not been working properly. I called a local dealer they told me no recalls for the 2003 GMC Envoy. I checked on- line it seems its a problem with GM SUV's and pick-ups.the recall is for other GM models and makes but not the GMC Envoy that is not fair to me and others who own the same vehicle model as I do. Could you please look into this I have noway knowing how fast I am going it could be a safety hazard. Thank you. I hope you can help me and other GM GMC Envoy owners.

- Barrington, NJ, USA

Aug 242008

GMC Envoy 2003 speedometer is erratic and does not function at all on occasion.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Dec 012008

I own a 2003 GMC Envoy and the speedometer acts erratically, and is never correct. I've researched it and there is not a recall on it, and from other internet users messages on sites, there are a lot of GM vehicles that are having this problem!! I don't personally have the money to get it fixed, that and I don't think it should be my problem to have to pay for it either, GM put a bad part in the vehicles so I think they should have to recall whatever is wrong with the speedometer. Thank you for your time.

- Huron, OH, USA

Apr 122009

Within the last 4 or 5 months, the speedometer on our 2003 Envoy will display erratic and incorrect speeds. When the vehicle is first started up the speedometer seems to register correctly. After 20 minutes or more the needle will begin to stick or stutter. Within 30 minutes the speedometer will register 90 mph with an actual road speed of 60 to 65 mph. Today it eventually pegged the needle at 120 mph+. at a complete stop, with the engine off and key out of the switch, the speedometer registered 60 mph. We are making contact with our local GMC dealer to see what repairs will be involved. Based on several internet forum sites and chat boards, this is not an uncommon problem. It also appears that GM has not issued a recall for this problem. They evidently do not see this as a safety problem or potential safety problem. Our Envoy has less than 67,000 miles on the odometer.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Dec 102008

Motors that run the guages in my 2003 GMC Envoy have failed. These control the fuel, amp, temp guages. This is a known issue for the motors and other guage clusters that use them in other GM vehicles are currently recalled for the same issue. I have not corrected the issue and still have the defective parts.

- Kuna, ID, USA

Jan 022009

Noticed periodic instrument cluster failure/accuracy problems. Speedometer will sometimes work or work erratically so I have no idea how fast I am going. I researched on the web and found this is very typical for this model. I called my dealership and was told that they will only repair (no cost) the GMC pickups and not my SUV model even though they have same problem with the same part. This presents a very dangerous condition regardless of what vehicle this is in. Winter driving conditions in mn require diligence in speed and braking, this is a huge and dangerous problem for GMC and they are just ignoring certain models for warranty repair and forcing the consumer to spend $500 (est.) to fix there problem!

- Winona, MN, USA

Dec 262008

The contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy. The contact noticed that the speedometer in his vehicle would register higher speeds than what was actually being driven. While driving approximately 70 mph with the cruise control activated, the speedometer went all the way past the highest speed indicator after driving for 30 minutes. When the contact parked the vehicle, the speedometer displayed 70 mph. The dealer and manufacturer have not been notified. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was approximately 81,000 and failure mileage was approximately 79,000.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Dec 212007

Malfunctioning of instrument cluster as described by the dealership. Speedometer displays inaccurate speed, other readings on panel flip-flop also. Advised by the service advisor that this was a noted defect with GMC and they had already started repairing larger GMC's and should get around to mine later in 2008. Yesterday, GMC informed me of a special policy issued for the problem, but only for Sierra and Yukon (7yrs 70,00 miles). GMC told me they were never notified of the problem with the Envoy's. I only have 56,000 miles on this car (first owner). Now the A/C has gone of by itself twice this month and the preset stations have vanished.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 122007

The contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy. While driving 30 mph, the speedometer displayed inaccurate readings. The contact could not determine how fast he was traveling. All the gauges on the instrument panel were also malfunctioning. The failures have been repaired. The current mileage was 100,000 and failure mileage was 64,000.

- Yankton, SD, USA

Sep 202007

The contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy. While driving at any speed, the speedometer would constantly move up and down and display inaccurate speeds. When the vehicle is turned off, the speedometer would stay anywhere between 30-40 mph. The vehicle was previously serviced by the dealer, but it has not recently been diagnosed. The current mileage was 173,607 and failure mileage was 100,000.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Nov 252007

Speedometer does not work anymore. I can be sitting at a stop light and the speedo will be pegged at 120mph. Or when driving it wont move at all. Sometimes...I'll start the car, and the speed will be sitting at 40 mph. Has been happening off and on since November 2007. The dealership & customer assistance (800-462-8782) will not help me. They tell me I have to buy a whole new instrument cluster ($475+) to resolve my problem. This is a very common issue with the full size vehicles (2003 and up). GM has issued special coverage adjustment #07187 ( 9/28/2007) to replace, free of charge, this bad cluster but won"T fix the same problem in their smaller SUV"S.

- Califon, NJ, USA

Jun 012006

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the rear passenger side door would not latch. The latches for both driver side doors were previously replaced. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 05V494000 (latches/locks/linkages:doors:latch) for the Envoy XL. The failure mileage was 75,000 and current mileage was 102,000. Updated 01/11/08. The front door latch are not starting to fail. The windshield wiper motor failed. The pinion seal was leaking and the taillight circuit board shorted out

- Burns Township , MN, USA

Nov 152005

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle was in service 3 times within 14 days, GM says the problem was the ignition switch, I say the source of the problem has not been fixed. Engine stalled 6 times in moving traffic, the "ABS" warning light is on, some time the "check engine soon" light comes on. Dealer replaces throttle body injection assembly. Next day the vehicle stalls again with same symptoms. Dealer replaced ignition switch again. !4 hours later engine stalls in moving traffic. Dealer installs event recording device, engine stalls and identified low ignition voltage (6.7 vs 13.6 vdc). Source of problem could not be identified, dealer says vehicle is safe to drive. We filed a lemon law claim.

Oct 032004

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

1) sequence of events - nothing happens when we try to start. -battery voltage ok, auto-headlights on, bright - instrument panel completely dead -2 hours later, instrument on the miles per hour instrument is going wild, back and forth finally sets at zero, now engine will start. Check engine light is on for the first time - radio looses preset station memory 2) it started about a week; we had problems starting the warm engine. 3) automatic climate control is working sort of, sometime not 4) the check oil came on, at that time there was plenty 5) the backup mirror option is always loosing the input 6) transmission problem light was on for a day some time ago while driving in sb and in 2 wd, called your service and was told to ignore the dealer replaced the ignition switch, a superficial fix as it turned out later when the ignition switch was replaced again. The cause of the problem was not identified.

Oct 032003

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

October-03 to March-04, between 800 and 3000 mileage: Several dual automatic climate control system problems. Temperature would run berserk (very hot in cold weather when set at 55F, no ac in hot weather). The radio would loose its preset stations. Dealer could not identify problem (no code was set) and told me to return when condition repeats without turning off the engine. He finally found a code indication communication interruption and low battery voltage. No action was taken. The problem resurfaced temporarily again in summer of 2005.