2004 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Envoy:

2004 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 012013

Ac plug to fan motor burnt/melt, daylight/headlight connectors melted multiple times had them replaced 3 times each side... cluster/ radio/ac lights burning out lights out on different areas from illumination to gages to radio and ac control button lights head lights went out while driving so did cluster, radio and ac lights had the cluster replaced by dealer while under warranty back in 2013 over cluster shortening, had my radio replaced as well by dealer same time

- West Covina, CA, USA

Apr 142016

I was in the highway tail lights weren't working in was headed to Idaho due to that im still in North Dakota also like a month ago I was pulled over in the city for no back lights it's happen 4 or 5 times two on a 15 hour road trip.tailgate has open twice once in city and on highway now it doesn't shut at all its been like that for 5 months now and it started to not want to open or close the roof part as well it sound as if its jam.I worry about my safety and public as well. Just paid over $2400 for rebuilding trany, power steering, and my gear shift as well it would not shift it snap off.transmission went out 6 hours before I got to my was towed to a trany shop around Nov.12/2015 picked up Feb.23/2016 hoping they would fix all the rest of defects it has. You name it this Envoy has it or has had it from headlights bulb being replaced every so often and melting were light bulb goes, A/C and heater don't work properly driver side is hot and passenger cold or vice-versa. The passenger back sit I would not know.midwindow doesn't work it doesn't roll up or down or that latch that comes down to haul stuff as well it doesn't work. When I roll my power windows my headlight and engine idle powers goes down as if there is an electrical problem.I've invested on this Envoy a week later when I drove it out of the yard. I have all my receipts from professional mechanics.its been a bad experience.I hope my trany doesn't go out after I'm done fix all this other problems. I read after someone had rebuild the trany 13 months later he had the same problem again with his Envoy. It's not safe to operate a vehicle with so many issues especialy with no back lights going from good to not working.every time I have to be checking if I have my rear lights are working or in front and also my front low light I have no visibility what so ever.they are so dull.

- Watford City, ND, USA

Apr 182012

Cluster want power up properly at start up. Warning lights give false information. And now radio sometimes want play correctly. Ac fan want work on all speeds also at times. I looked up recalls and there was one 03V096000 but it did not cover my year. You can get different displays giving bad information on every start up.

- Norris, TN, USA

Oct 222015

Vehicle was being driven on a two way highway at approximately 55 mph. Vehicle lost engine power while driving and the gas pedal lost resistance and went to the floor. Vehicle was steered over to the side of the road. While the vehicle was steered over to the side of the road, check engine and other dash lights started flashing chaotically. White smoke started coming from under the hood. Within a short time, white smoke turned into black smoke and then flames started to appears. The fire under the hood eventually continued to grow until it completely burned the engine compartment most of the first two rows of the interior before the firemen arrived and were able to put out the fire.

- Ham Lake, MN, USA

May 012012

One day my sunroof worked and the next day it would not. It was stuck in the in the open position (not fully open, but when the front end raises an inch or so). I took it to a GM certified mechanic and they said I would need a whole new assembly and quoted me $2,100. The dealership and GM notified me that they would not help me with this defect at all. My car is in excellent condition with only 85,000 miles on it, but it is only worth $5,000 and I paid over $14,000 for it in 2009 when I bought it from a GM dealership. I cannot afford to lose $2,100 on this vehicle. And this is not the first issue that I have had. When I drove it home from the dealership the whole instrument panel failed. They fixed that. Then a year later, when I was driving home with my new born, the entire car shut down while in motion going 45 miles per hour. The dealership said that it was a problem with the computer and the warranty would not cover it, but it would cover a restoration of the computer. Then when I went to get my vehicle the refused to let me take it until I paid $200. My vehicle has shut down while driving since that and can barely maintain idling at traffic lights at times. Now back to the sunroof, after not being able to afford to fix it the mechanic took out the sunroof and just set it in the frame so at least water would not get in when it rained. However, it is just sitting in there and can easily be lifted out and may even get blown out on the freeway. When exactly will this become a safety hazard" when my sunroof blows off on the freeway and causes a fatal car accident? or when my car completely shuts down on the middle of the freeway and my children and I get killed in a pile up" GM has been convicted of neglecting to recall vehicles with safety issues recently. Clearly, GM refuses to protect its customers. Please help protect consumers and do something about this.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Mar 272015

The cruise control is intermittent.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 262011

: no air bag/[ deployment failure] front/ side/ rear [ side designed to deploy in rollover or side impact crashes] air bag's failure / deployment complete roll all four sides landed back on wheels. I was slammed onto left driver side window left side face broke the window and glass and dirt filled vehicle seat belt failure: Left/drivers only rolled four times landed back on all fours I flailed around head butted the passenger as the force over took my body onsite officer acknowledged the indications seat belt friction burns all on around neck and shoulder traumatic brain injury torn rotator cuff shoulder issues/ also bladder damage as the driver's side seat belt failed to lock during crash dealer should have been cited for seat belt failure worst things of all was a test drive engine stall failure : at high speed/ heard noise and boom lost all power steering loud noise loss of power/ I had no ideal at the time thought possible blow out and indicated such to the responding officer electrical - also brake light turn signal failure/ appears to be functional lights signals/ but are not working on the outside others don't see signals or brake lights. I was sited for btw GM should be responsible as well dealership all the recall and complaint's, incident reports accidents and GM major ignition issues....engine failure while driving/ erosion and many other vehicles.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Oct 122014

Envoy 6-cyl

Parked the vehicle in a parking garage so I know the lights were working when we went in. As we were leaving approximately 3 hours later, the low beams would not come on at all. Had to run high beams; had several people look at the fuses, replaced bulbs, etc. But they could not find the problem. A couple of weeks later just before I was taking it to a dealer to look at the problem the low beams began working again. Approximately two months later the exact same thing happened only this time I heard a faint noise from the engine compartment and smelled a burning (seemed electrical) aroma for a few seconds when I realized the low-beam lights were not working again. After a week or so the lights came back on again.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 012011

Envoy 6-cyl

This vehicle has and had major electrical issues since new. Instrument cluster replaced at my expense at 75000 miles. Now door locks intermittent. Won't open or lock by remote. Rear wiper goes out when door locks stop. Rear door lock out also. Can lock doors from inside and manually lock driver door but rear hatch will stay unlocked. This is a safety hazard especially at night at a mall or even in my driveway. Someone could enter my vehicle and hurt someone in my family when locks are out. In my driveway they could get access to my garage door opener and enter my house. I shouldn't have to remove my garage door opener everytime I enter my home. I think this is a very serious security issue for my family. I'm retired and can't afford the repair. I've seen this all over the internet but no fix from GM.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Feb 122014

Envoy 6-cyl

Vehicle is stuck in park, on the dash board it show the vehicle in reverse. Instrument cluster is not working properly, tach gauge not reading correctly. Temperature gauge does not work at all. Forward air vents do not work all.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 272014

Envoy 6-cyl

Stopped at street like, light went green started to move forward and car goes dead. No lights on dash, nothing showing, just stops abruptly. After a few moments tried restarting car and it came back on with check engine light. P0606 PCM failure code displayed. Could have been rear ended by semi truck behind me or killed if I was trying to turn left at intersection.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Mar 272014

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the speedometer failed to function. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Fairland, IN, USA

Mar 012010

Envoy 6-cyl

I have been having an intermittent issue with my speedometer not showing the correct speed for the past couple of years and has been getting worse for quite some time. It has now reached a point to where the speedometer does not work, oil pressure gauge does not work, engine light stays one and the tach only works once in a while. I actually know three people within the my place of employment that have the same vehicle ranging from a 2003 to a 2005 that have the exact same issues with their instrument panels. Of course, the dealership says that there is no recall related to this issue but they would be happy to replace the ip (almost $700) to see if that corrects the issue. I also know of a couple of different websites where you can send the panel off and they will replace all of the bulbs and motors for less $100. It is a shame that GM would charge over 7 times that amount for an issue that is this wide spread. I have driven GM model cars for over 20 years and the engines seem to be good but the interior issues are at a point that I am tired of dealing with them. I guess that it is time to look to take me business to a different car manufacturer and that is a shame.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Mar 112013

Envoy 6-cyl

I have had an overwhelming smell of gasoline for weeks and my speedometer was only working intermittently. I took my car to an auto store and had them put it on the computer the code read small evap leak so I bought a new gas cap to attempt to resolve the issue. That didn't work so I took my car to the mechanic for it to be checked out as my check engine light came back on. On the first visit he scanned the computer and codes read po 442 & 445 " small/large emission leak, he checked all components and could find nothing. I took my car back as the speedometer issue was getting worse and the gas smell was still present the same code came up for the emission/evap leak and still nothing for the speedometer issue. He then did a smoke test and found that there was a crack in the filler neck of the plastic gas tank that cannot be repaired and must be replaced. He replaced the speedometer sender which still did not fix the issue. After much research I have found both of these issues to be a serious problem with other Envoy owners. I would like to know why there has not been a recall on these parts and why GMC is leaving the cost of repairs up to the owners. These are manufacture??S defects. This is supposed to be a reputable company. I have called into GMC support and they as well as staff at a GMC dealership stated that this was the same issue as was stated in a recall but my VIN number wasn't included so no financial help was given. $1,215.29 later I have a new gas tank and my speedometer still does not work. This is ridiculous... take ownership for your product malfunctions!!! how many complaints does there need to be before a recall is issued on these vehicle issues"

- Holiday, FL, USA

Aug 122013

Envoy 6-cyl

I have been reading many of these post. I can't believe all of the things that have also happened to my Envoy. I have had my back window blow out while driving, thank god that both of my kids that were in the back seat were not hurt, they were just scared and still ask if it will happen again. I also recently just had to have a piece on the gas line fixed which was almost $900 money that I didn't have and had to borrow. I am still paying it back. Now as for last night my low beams are not working, I bought new bulbs and that didn't work, so it is back to the mechanic. Oh and I have a check engine light that goes on and off. They really need to get on all of these things. It would be nice to have the car working the way it should be. I may just print these things up and bring to the GMC shop and see what the can do about it. I mean I really to love my SUV but this is crazy. I am now kind of scared to have my kids in the car.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Apr 202013

The "check gauges" light flashes followed by "low oil pressure" followed by "stop engine" and the engine stalls. Each time this happens the ac has been on. Sent to dealer and they were unable to reproduce this issue. Has happened 3 times now. Very scary.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 292013

While driving another motorist saw smoke coming from rear of vehicle and got vehicle stopped on side of road at which time the engine compartment was engulfed in flames. Called fire dept and police. Fire spread through the hearer box into the vehicle and across dash until it began burning the headliner. Fire dept put out fire but was a total loss. There was no indication on instrument panel of any problems (all gauges showing normal readings).

- California, PA, USA

Oct 282011

One day all my gauges may work I might shut the SUV off and start it again and no gauges will work (speed, oil pressure, battery, gas, odometer, tach) when one works they all work when one doesn't work none of them work and you never know when they will do what they do.

- Millerton, PA, USA

Jul 262012

Envoy 6-cyl

Lock completely out of back hatch wire acts as if it has a short which shuts the whole back down I am unable to use my rear wiper at all interfere with my steroe shutting of when U turn off Envoy when it shouldn't have been locked completely out of the rear bottom and the glass hatch I do not use my hatch now because I don't want to be locked out again it has happen twice and this not under warranty have seen othe complaints online due to same issues has there been a recall on this I have only had this Envoy for 4 months and to be honest I think it messes with the air I have duel air and the passenger side gets colder quicker than the driver and never seemed to do this untill the wires G started messing up in the rear.

- Indpls , IN, USA

Aug 102011

Envoy 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 GMC Envoy. The contact stated that the fuel gauge malfunctioned and as a result, it was providing an erroneous full reading when the fuel tank was actually empty. The contact also mentioned that the speedometer and temperature gauge failed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 90,000. Updated 09/11/12 the consumer stated the vehicle has ran out of gas several times due to the failure with the gas gauge. The engine check light illuminates for no apparent reason. The consumer has also received a ticket due to the odometer reading a false speed. Updated 09/13/2012

- Foot Hill Ranch , CA, USA