2005 GMC Envoy electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 GMC Envoy:

2005 GMC Envoy Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Mar 212006

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving uphill at no particular speed, the engine stalls and operates at a reduced speed. Additionally, the headlights intermittently work at night and the gas gauge provides an incorrect display of the proper fuel level. Although the vehicle was seen by a dealer numerous times, the dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. The consumer stated the electrical system is faulty. The left front window dropped the lights became dim and the battery failed. Updated 04/06/06.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Mar 022006

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving home from work entering the freeway on ramp. The ramp is controlled by a signal and I was waiting my turn when the engine failed. I was coasting downhill into another car when I hit the brakes and there were no brakes. I bumped the car in front of me damaging the front grill and hood of my car. Submitted the car to the dealer for evaluation of an electrical problem. The dealer has been unable to duplicate.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Nov 232005

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

(2005 Envoy) about 1 month ago I noticed that my headlights were dimming while driving at night. This happened sporadically. When the lights dim, the heat slows down as well. The interior lights occasionally dim when this happens, too. My husband and I thought it might be the battery and started to look at the battery gage, while one of us kept an eye on the lights. This problem has happened about 7 times over the last month. Last week it happened about every 2 minutes while driving down the road. Very scary, as I thought the truck was just going to shut down. I took the truck to my GM dealer and the mechanic said that there is nothing wrong with the truck. The battery, alternator and wires were fine. He stated that with new vehicles and everything that is run in them this is normal. Although he also stated that he has never seen this problem before. Their computer told them that nothing needed to be fixed. We have no aftermarket products in the vehicle and the only things running were the heat and radio.

- West Warwick, RI, USA

Dec 102005

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

On the night of Saturday (at 9 P.M.), December 10, 2005, I drove my GMC Envoy slt to michael's. when driving through the parking lot, my daughter and I heard a loud grinding noise from the underside of the vehicle. We parked the car, turned off the engine, then turned the vehicle on again. Several icons that had never been displayed on the dashboard screen appeared, and my vehicle's clock reflected 12:00. The clock was set for the correct time initially, and never tampered. We shopped for 20 minutes and returned to the vehicle, started it up and again several icons appeared. The clock said 12:00 though it was 9:30 P.M. we drove through our neighborhood viewing some christmas lights for about 10 minutes. As I pulled onto our driveway and began breaking to stop the vehicle and and park it outside of our garage, it did not respond to breaking. When I pushed the brake pedal down harder, the vehicle continued at the same speed. I screamed that we were going to hit the garage door, and at that moment felt the vehicle accelerate although I had the brake pedal pushed down all the way. It slammed through the garage door, I quickly shifted into park and shut off the engine. My front and my daughter's front passenger door could not be opened and we smelled gas. My husband called 911 and emergency vehicles responded. They determined it should be safe but asked the furnace be turned down so that it would not cause any combustion and to keep the area ventilated.. the garage door was totally demolished, and drywall damages in several spots. A technician from overhead garage doors removed the remnants of the door. My daughter's car had minor paint and dent damage as it was in the garage already. GM's roadside towing hauled the Envoy onto a flatbed to take to the dealership. We explained the accident to GM when we contacted them for roadside assistance. The vehicle is now at our dealership, andy mohr, noblesville, in.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 012005

Envoy 4WD 8-cyl

The contact stated the vehicle stalled without warning. The dealership stated the vehicle defaulted into third gear and will not accelerate. This was due to a computer problem. The dealership has been able to duplicate the problem, but was unable to find the solution.

- Selah, WA, USA

Nov 042005

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

When driving - interior and exterior lights flicker/blink.

- Lodi, NY, USA

Aug 052005

Envoy 6-cyl

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy. While driving at night both the interior and exterior lights began to flicker periodically. I was following my wife home and she said that it was a huge distraction to her when she was driving. I took the vehicle to the dealer and they said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. I have less than 400 miles on the vehicle. According to my friend, his 2005 trailblazer does the same thing.

- Davsion, MI, USA

Jun 252005

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

Consumer owns a '05 GMC Envoy and has difficulty towing a trailer within GM rates, GM states that his Envoy can tow a weight of 5,800 pound capacity, however he feels the vehicle is unable to maneuver a travel trailer of 3,400 pound capacity. The consumer has been to the dealership twice for this. The dealer stated there was nothing they could do. Consumer has pulled the trailer with other vehicles and it pulls fine but when attached to the Envoy there is a problem. Consumer feels it is not with the suspension of the vehicle but within the engine which is a V6. When pulling trailer for a distance as little as 2 miles the engine heats up, and he experiences a loss of speed and engine the bogs down to 30 mph. Envoy is equipped with the 373 axle ratio and can not pull an enclosed 24ft travel trailer on it's 6 cylinder engine. The 2nd trip to dealer, the service manager did duplicate this problem and suggested the consumer needed a V8 engine. Also, there is a electrical problem that only occurs when the engine is running. Consumer gave examples of automatic door locks unlocking by themselves and the anti theft system enabling itself resulting in a shutdown of the vehicle. Took to dealer 10 times for this problem. Dealer could not duplicate problems. The dealer said GM would not authorize repair unless they could duplicate problem. Has contacted GM customer service at least 100 times for these issues without any luck. No repairs or corrections as a result. Consumer is still experiencing these problems as a result.

- Kawkawlin, MI, USA

Jan 142005

Envoy 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving alone and the dash board light went out I and the 4WD light came on I could not see the speedometer. I pulled over and could not remove the key from car or put the card back into drive.the car shop had to reroute some wire but I don't have any aftermarket add ons.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA